Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/131/120

Height: 5'4

Default Weight loss and hair loss

Hey all,
I was just wondering which one of you have had issues with weight loss and hair loss? I have lost 40 pounds over the course of a year (so avg less than 1 lb/week weight loss), and am currently 5'4" and 130 lbs. I definitely think I get a good amount of protein (chicken, cheese, tuna, dairy) in my diet, as well as healthy fats in the form of a good amount of salmon and extra virgin olive oil. I have also been maintaining this healthy (definitely not too low) weight for about 6 months.

Yet, I lose lots of hair daily, WAY more than I ever used to. It's hard to describe hair amounts, but it makes up a good clump after a shower that I think most people would stand up and notice. My hair is thinner and frailer. It's not that bad right now, but I'm just scared that if it keeps going, it will eventually end up looking impossibly thin and like the hair of an elderly woman (I am 25).

Has anyone had experiences with hair loss like this? Did you see a doctor? Did the hair eventually stop falling out? Is this just a transition period (as some online sources I found have suggested)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
JanieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Take biotin and vitamin D for hair loss.
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would recommend seeing your doctor. I have never experienced hair loss myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I noticed it for sure - I don't know when exactly, but probably after I lost the first 50 in '06. Everyone kept saying it was normal because my hair is so long.

I even mentioned to my hair dresser once, and she was like people lose lots of hair! And then she was like, wow, you really do lose a lot of hair. Maybe you should ask your doctor.

I had blood tests done and they found nothing. It might be a bit less now - or I just got used to it. It's been a couple years.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #5  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I just recently noticed this too!!! Just in the last few weeks. I was leaning more towards that it could be premenopause for me though
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Weight loss can be a trigger for hair loss or "shedding" phase. It is actually quite common, but other triggers can be an allergic reaction, hormones, nutrient deficiencies... I myself have lost hair, but for other reasons. When I say hair loss I mean I literally had clumps of hair coming out and big bald spots. One thing you can do is make sure you're getting enough nutrients, you can take an omega 3 supplement, there are even supplements out there specifically for hair growth/health...you have options.

One thing I can say is that my hair loss happened originally in 2006 (I did need a doctor, I had a full body reaction that lasted a year basically, so I needed medical attention). 2007-2008 I a long hair regrowth recovery and my hair was great for awhile. I started losing weight and my scalp flared up, that triggered a shedding phase with two bald spots as a result, but I also noticed that now my hair is much healthier, thicker, obviously what damage that was done is being repaired. I use products I know I'm not allergic to and so on. The follicle will repair itself under normal circumstances. So now my hair is growing growing growing. The healthier I am, the healthier my hair and skin is. My issues stem from allergies and other medical things so my scalp is patchy and red at times.

If your scalps is itchy or having issues or if you see red spots, that can be a condition you should probably get checked out. If you are fine and just having thinning hair, keep an eye on it. If you feel that your hair is continuing to thin out then I would get a professional opinion, visit your doctor etc. It could be something more.

Another little added thought, hair does thin naturally as you age as well for most people. Hair also changes..I used to have straight hair, wouldn't hold a perm, now my hair is wavy to curly and I'm 31.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 09-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say see your doctor. I agree that it could be a vitamin deficiency, but it's hard to know which one without consulting a doc.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The most common vitamin deficiency for hair loss is zinc. I would go to a dermatologist to make sure, or google the Long Hair Community (wooonderful website!) and poke around there. There have been many threads on normal and hormonally/deficiency induced shedding and the users have lots of experience with supplementation and remedies for the issue.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yes. Went throught it too. It has leveled off I think--my hair looks pretty good right now. Try to make sure you have lots of good fats in your diet. Avacado, olive oils, nuts, fatty fish, etc. I see that you are already are. I have always had them in my diet too--well, since the start of my journey. I still went through the shedding though.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-30-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I also recommend seeing your doctor. Thyroid levels can affect hair loss.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Actually my hair has never been shinier, thicker or healthier looking.

So therefore, I'll jump in on the "see a doctor" band wagon.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have been losing a good bit of hair also. There have been times in the past when I did so I think that my body does this when it is adjusting to something new. Even though I have been seeing more hair in my brush and in the shower, overall my hair does not seem thinner. I plan to ask my hair stylist next week when I see her and also my doctor when I go for an appointment in November.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

Since my first pregnancy, I have been losing a ton of hair. I also have lost about 30lbs in a year. I think the two precursors to the hair loss are unrelated, though. Luckily, I have a *ton* of hair. I could make a wig with the amount of hair I lose, but I still have a crazy head of unmanagable hair. Go figure.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I've been losing hair also. I'm on the Atkins diet, so not sure if it has to do with lack of carbs. I'm taking vitamins, don't know. doctors here aren't to helpfull anyways. LOL
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote