Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #1  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Default Animal guides/Totems for fitness?

I'm a fan of animal symbolism. Animals have helped me my entire life. Well before I ever started exploring my personal spirituality. But I strangely never thought of bringing animals into this area of my life. A bit silly since my weight has been my one constant struggle. It makes perfect sense to finally invite my animal guides to help me where I need the most help. Duh.

Would anyone like to share which animals they call upon for strength and inspiration? Or if this avenue hasn't been explored we can discuss the subject and come up with some ideas.

I'm going to do some reading, meditating and thinking and I'll see what I come up with too.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Female jaguars weigh more than male jaguars, averaging 150 pounds. I tell people that I pulled that number out of a hat as my goal weight. But, really, it's because ever since I read that I've wanted to weigh the same as a female jaguar.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Metal Chick, I never thought of that either.

gardenerjoy, I love your idea.

This is very tame in comparison, but I imagine a cat. A sleek, healthy one, not a fat couch potato . A cat doesn't apologize for its needs or wants. You know, a little bit of the diva

But I'll have to think on something stronger.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Off the top of my head, a MULE! Very intelligent and STUBBORN to a fault! When a mule has made up it's mind, there is no changing it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #5  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

I love all your answers! I'm still researching but l wanted to start commenting on what is already posted.

Cats

Cats represent detachment among other things. (Detachment from food? Hmm.) And they're carnivores as opposed to dogs and human who are natural omnivores. They actually shouldn't eat carbs. We humans make those lazy cats fat by feeding them cat food!

Plus cats are always stretching! They have a lot of lean muscle. And a cat will get up and start running around or swatting a toy if he feels like he needs to move. We should all have that attitude!

They're also a symbol of the feminine and sensuality. The Norse goddess Freyja (goddess of beauty among other things) had a chariot pulled by cats and then there is the Egyptian goddess Bast. She was originally a Sun (vitality) goddess. Sun deities are usually male. The only other Sun goddess I can think of off the top of my head is the Japanese Amaterasu. So that's kind of a big deal.

Jaguars

Jaguars are a power animal that's for sure! As a member of the cat family they have those standard associations and then some.

They were sacred to the Mayans and represented power, strength and the divine. And also water oddly enough. As they're one of the few cats that like to swim.

I couldn't find where any source that says female jaguars are larger than males. However I found this out about the Spotted Hyena:

Adult male spotted hyenas in the Serengeti weigh 89--121 lb, while females weigh 98--141 lb. Spotted hyenas in Zambia tend to be heavier, with males weighing on average 149 lb, and females 153 lb.

I don't know too much about Hyena symbolism, but I found this to start with. I just got lazy and pulled it from another site.:

Hyena people tend to have a good sense of humor and do not take themselves to seriously. The hyena is a symbol of integration and balance between male and female. Hyena medicine teaches us balance in all aspects of life, realizing our own powers, and being happy with what we are given; not wanting for what we do not have.

I'll tackle Mules later. I just wanted to add something to keep the discussion going! What do you all think?
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #6  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

I am drawn to winged creatures especially the dove, the owl, the bat and the surreal creature, the phoenix. I have tattoos of all of these animals they mean that much to me and represent periods of my life and people in my life. If I had to pick just one animal to relate to it would be the owl. Owls are so beautiful, graceful and clever.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

I found this idea really interesting, but other than being an avid dog-lover, I've never thought of having an "affinity" with a certain animal or called on it for strength or inspiration.

So I went and googled animal personality tests, and I found this one quite good...

http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes...al-personality

Here's my result, and I actually think it's pretty damn accurate! Especially as I do really love dogs!

THE WOLF
You're independent, strong-willed and often misunderstood. Very few people truly understand you. You are extremnely attached to the significant few you love and respect. You often find yourseld as a loner, but you eagerly seek the comfort of your packmates.
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, MetalChick, for the animal info. That's great stuff to work with!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #9  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Gardenerjoy - love your idea!

More of a mythical beast but I have loved dragons since I was about 5 years old.

There are many different symbolisms and mythologies from many cultures involving dragons but to me they represent beauty, grace, wisdom, strength and power.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 10-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5"6

Recently I have done a Shamanic Journeying workshop, and in the workshop the first animal that I approached me was a horse. I was really surprised! I think with animal totems its not always the first animal that you love the most, it is usually the animal that you feel this deep connection with. The animal finds you instead of vice-versa! I REALLY like the idea of a horse as a fitness totem because all I can think of is there strong muscular legs and there ability to run fast while there hair is blowing in the wind. I want to be able to run like a horse someday and have my hair blowing in the wind like that as well!
SpicySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/260/140

Height: 5'0"

Like SpicySiren, I see the horse. Courage, strength and grace.

This is an interesting idea. I may have to find my animal necklace pendants and start wearing the horse again.
MidgieMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Size28/28/14-16

Height: 5'2"

I've never thought about it like that... But it's definately something worth thinking on... My power totem has always been the Spider... So maybe being sleek... and nimble??? They also take the time to "prepare" and "wait" for their meal... So maybe I can focus on that (I'm a big snacker)... And use more mindful meditation while preparing my meals...
JuicyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #13  
chasing carbs away

S/C/G: 312/239/150

Height: 5ft 5-1/2in

Wow. Just saw this thread and had to post. Since I seem to have turkey vultures "follow" me everywhere I go I looked it up on the 'net the other day. Sometimes I just think about them and they seem to appear out of nowhere overhead. In the past 3/4 months bears have taken over my dreams, when I have never dreamed about them before. Just the other night I dreamed of a bear and an elk. I never get attacked by the bears but sometimes they chase me up tiny trees or are just standing there, watching me. In real life I have a healthy respect/fear of bears, having seen them several times in the mountains. Amazing.

Last edited by Ellie Hastings; 07-19-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Ellie Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #14  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Elie - that is really interesting. Maybe your subconscious is leading you to a bear totem.

I just got a dragon tattoo done on my back. Dragons have been my personal symbol for a very long time.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #15  
chasing carbs away

S/C/G: 312/239/150

Height: 5ft 5-1/2in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux View Post
Elie - that is really interesting. Maybe your subconscious is leading you to a bear totem.

I just got a dragon tattoo done on my back. Dragons have been my personal symbol for a very long time.

I believe you are correct, and I've done some research on them. I believe something is trying to show me something, for sure.

Dragons are so cool and mysterious. Me likie dragons.

Ellie
Ellie Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote