Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 164 /CW 154 /GW 110

Height: 5ft 2in

Default New beginning...

Hello All,

My name is Amy and I am new to this forum and looking for some support on my weight loss journey.

I am Irish but currently living in Hong Kong and gave birth to my second child six weeks ago and feel that the time is finally right to get my body into shape. I have been overweight since my teens and have just turned thirty and need to sort myself out once and for all.

I have been on almost every diet imaginable and do really well for about five weeks but then I lose all motivation and crack.

This time I have decided to just eat healthy and exercise as often as I can and stay on track, using this forum as a support tool, documenting my weight on a weekly basis so that I can stay on track.

My aim is to lose 2 - 3 pounds per week and hopefully reach my goal weight of 110 lbs before valentines day so that I can buy a fabulous outfit and go for a romantic dinner with my husband, without feeling selfconcious about my weight.

Wish me luck!!!
AmyHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Hi Amy,

Congrats on the birth of your bub! You're lucky to be a young mum! Best of luck with your weight loss goals and it sounds like you are determined to stick it out this time. I reckon you've come to the right place for that - I was the same with giving up but the forums have definitely helped me to stay on track.

Good luck!
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Hello Amy Hopefully you will lose 2-3lb per week, especially at first but your weight is already low in comparision to some of us who are losign that amoutn regularily. Don't be discouraged if you're losing less than that - you may find 1-2lb a week more realistic for you. As long as your weight is going downit doesn't matter how long it takes to lose the weight. Teh nearer you get to goal often the more slowly weight comes off. At one point I was losign 3lb in a week easily, now I have to work hard to lose 2lb.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome to 3FC - a fabulous place for support, encouragement, advice and information.

2 - 3 lbs a week? At your weight???? That just may be a tad unrealistic. Remember you said and I quote,

"This time I have decided to just eat healthy and exercise as often as I can and stay on track"

The first thing that rings out to me is - AS OFTEN AS I CAN. Losing weight - steadily and consistently- and the numbers that you are trying to achieve (Or ANY numbers for that matter) takes staying on track day after day after day, week after week - not as "often as I can".

And then you also said, and I quote "I have been on almost every diet imaginable and do really well for about five weeks but then I lose all motivation and crack. "

Perhaps you set too unrealistic goals and then don't reach them and then "give up".

A couple of things for you to consider - I urge you not to rely on motivation. As you've discovered, it doesn't stick around long enough to get the job done. Perhaps you should make yourself an IRONCLAD COMMITMENT, to "do this" - no matter what. Make a commitment to do whatever it takes, whatever is required, what ever is NECESSARY. PERIOD. This way you don't have to rely on that fleeting motivation. You make that COMMITMENT- then it gets done whether you feel like it or not. So take the plunge - DECIDE once and for all to do this, and then map out a logical plan to get it done - and stick to it - because you've committed to it.

You've also mentioned that "you've been on almost every diet imaginable", I would also forget about "diets" and realize that this HAS TO BE A PERMANENT LIFETIME - LIFESTYLE CHANGE and yes - COMMITMENT. Lifetime. Permanent. No diets to go off OF. Just new and healthy eating/exercise habits to incorporate into your life - forever and ever. No stopping. Just continuing on. Work on changing your eating habits and behaviors forever - then the weight WILL come off - in whatever time frame it takes. It won't matter. Because you're committed - for a lifetime. And however long it takes - it takes. And the more you stick with it instead of "as often as I can" the faster those habits will become your new "normal" and more automatic and just "what you do" and not "some diet", then the weight WILL come off quicker. And it will get easier to "stick" to, because you've allowed your old habits to die down and your new healthy ones to take over.

Quote:
My aim is to lose 2 - 3 pounds per week and hopefully reach my goal weight of 110 lbs before valentines day so that I can buy a fabulous outfit and go for a romantic dinner with my husband, without feeling selfconcious about my weight.
The good thing is, you don't have to wait till you get to goal to start feeling fabulous and less self conscious. That will happen way before you get to goal.

Quote:
Wish me luck!!!
And no, I won't wish you luck. Simply because luck won't do a darn thing for you. It can't help you. It won't get the job done for you. Luck's got NOTHING to do with weight loss. Nothing. It's useless. It takes hard work, effort, time, perseverance, determination, patience, focus and commitment. So get committed, get focused, get determined, get excited, get a plan developed, get cracking, get, get, get... I look forward to hearing of your progress!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-29-2009 at 07:21 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi. Amy:

I think you have the right idea--eating healthy and getting exercise is key. Welcome to the site and best of luck on your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Hi!

I am new to this too and I have never been on a diet before. All I can say is that you have come to the right place for support, guidence and help.

All the best!

Kate
xx
Carb Lover Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #7  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi Amy! I'm your size and started right about where you are now. I hate to burst your bubble, but losing weight at that rate is likely just not feasible. It took me a YEAR to lose 40 pounds. I don't mean this to discourage you in any way, but I think you need to be realistic.

Now, I had my ups and downs during that year, I certainly wasn't "on track" the entire time. But I did finish the year 40 pounds less than I started it. And that was almost 2 years ago. It's going to be a process ... of learning a new lifestyle of eating and exercise that helps you achieve and maintain optimal health. It isn't something you "go on", then "go off". Changing your lifestyle permanently takes time. There is no quick fix.

You can do it! Just take it step by step and don't get discouraged when it doesn't happen in a few days, weeks, or even months. What is important is that you get there.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 164 /CW 154 /GW 110

Height: 5ft 2in

Thank you all for your supportive words, I will keep you all updated on my progress.
AmyHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #9  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

why do i even bother responding to threads after robin? she always says it all for me, lol.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote