Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Having a hard time of it

The title says it all.

I'm getting frustrated with the whole weight loss thing.

I'm ready to give up. That's really sad since I've lost half of what I want to lose, but the other half will not budge. I'm frustrated beyond belief that no matter what I'm doing, nothing is working.

Help.

I need a hug.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

There's a whole bunch of hugs!!!

Don't give up Mollz. Even if you don't lose another ounce you've done a fantastic job.

Maybe switch up what you are doing a little bit. I have heard that helps.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I still have most my weight to lose, and I'm losing it turtle-slow. It was really hard at first, I have taught myself to stop feeling that only the goal matters.

We usually seem to look at weight loss as if it were a literal race - and that anything but crossing the finish line is failure. It's not, every pound is an achievement.

I think it's more like climbing a mountain - even if you don't get to the top, you're doing something many people never achieve. And if you start to think you can't get to the top, you don't throw yourself off the cliff you have reached.

I've decided that every pound matters, so maintaining even my little loss (70 plus pounds isn't really so little, unless I compare it to where I want to be) is better than gaining back even a single pound.

This attitude is very different than I've had for all my other weight loss attempts). This time, I choose to believe that if losing weight becomes difficult and frustrating I can decide to maintain that weight - no matter how high it is, but I can't decide "what's the use, I might as well eat everything in sight."

I'm not losing fast, but it's the first time in my life that I've ever been on a downward trend so long without backtracking more than a few pounds here and there (rather than regaining all the weight plus some before making another attempt).

Really half is better than nothing, right. It's like saving money. Say you want to have a million dollars, and you realize you may never be able to save that much - does that mean you throw away the money that you DO have just because it isn't a million (even if it's only $50).

Remember that you do have choices besides giving up.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2009 at 09:03 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #4  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I still have most my weight to lose, and I'm losing it turtle-slow. It was really hard at first, I have taught myself to stop feeling that only the goal matters.

We usually seem to look at weight loss as if it were a literal race - and that anything but crossing the finish line is failure. It's not, every pound is an achievement.

I think it's more like climbing a mountain - even if you don't get to the top, you're doing something many people never achieve. And if you start to think you can't get to the top, you don't throw yourself off the cliff you have reached.

I've decided that every pound matters, so maintaining even my little loss (70 plus pounds isn't really so little, unless I compare it to where I want to be) is better than gaining back even a single pound.

This attitude is very different than I've had for all my other weight loss attempts). This time, I choose to believe that if losing weight becomes difficult and frustrating I can decide to maintain that weight - no matter how high it is, but I can't decide "what's the use, I might as well eat everything in sight."

I'm not losing fast, but it's the first time in my life that I've ever been on a downward trend so long without backtracking more than a few pounds here and there (rather than regaining all the weight plus some before making another attempt).

Really half is better than nothing, right. It's like saving money. Say you want to have a million dollars, and you realize you may never be able to save that much - does that mean you throw away the money that you DO have just because it isn't a million (even if it's only $50).

Remember that you do have choices besides giving up.
I am amazed at the wisdom in this post! I think I will print it. Thank you so much! You said this in a way I think, but can't express. You hit the nail on the head!
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #5  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Wow. I am inspired by this thread and by Kaplods eloquent, truthful and timely words. I, too, am stalled part way down the road - but now I feel my resolve strengthening and my spirit bolstered!

Last edited by mortonpixie; 09-23-2009 at 10:43 AM.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 251/251/170

Height: 5'10"

Hang in there ... I know that I am frustracted as heck. You just need to be patient!
DanC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/150/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollz View Post
The title says it all.

I'm getting frustrated with the whole weight loss thing.

I'm ready to give up. That's really sad since I've lost half of what I want to lose, but the other half will not budge. I'm frustrated beyond belief that no matter what I'm doing, nothing is working.

Help.

I need a hug.

I like you, feel the same way today. I feel so down about my weight. For that last couple of days the scale keeps going up and down. I feel like the weight is not budging either. I am really trying to stick it out. I have been not letting myself have the junk food I would normally eat and to not see any progress is depressing. I exercised last night and this morning so maby that may have something to do with it. I am hoping that is it.
ShesHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #8  
Carpe diem

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

Yesterday was a sh!tty day. I had a few classes that were just complete disasters (some kids did work, most goofed off) and I lost my cool with one group and told them to stop f**king with the textbooks or I'd kick them out. Being the reliever can be frustrating.

I also haven't seen the scale move in the last two weeks, even though I've been super good. It moved a great deal this morning when I got on (85.4, down from 86.2 on Tuesday), so that boosted my mood.

I was reading another thread and I found this gem of a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9XJM...B3BA6A&index=8

Someone who lost 236 pounds shares his story about not giving up. I started to cry and realised thig guy's been there, done that. If he can do it, so can I. So, my motivation and inspiration bolstered, I'm off to the gym for the 4th day this week (weights day today).
Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #9  
Really gonna do it!!

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5'7"

Glad you are feeling better! PLEASE don't give up! I've given up SO many times, and all I'm left with afterwards is a feeling of defeat. Stay in the fight. Keep going. You'll get there!!!
DoubleDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mollz, we all have really crappy days from time to time. A big hug is in order here, a bubble bath, a backrub from your lovey or whatever else you can muster. You are doing the right thing NOT giving up. Keep moving towards health and your goal. You are doing so beautifully. I am so glad you saw that loss this morning. It seems you needed to see something and you certainly did. Congratulations--can't wait to hear about your continued success.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #11  
Carpe diem

Thanks again guys for the support.

I reckon I've got five carrot dances coming.

First, the crappy day is over and done with and I've got two weeks of bliss before being shuffled back to school for a week and a half of work (it's school holidays right now). (one carrot)

Second, even though my weight went up this morning from the other day, it's down from Friday (I thought I did really well at my niece's birthday party- I danced with a whole lot of ten year olds for 3 hours: bugger the adults, the kids had more fun!) (two carrots)

I've managed to get to the gym today and *run* for 9 minutes straight-- I've never done that before and really super proud of myself (even managed the last two minutes without my ipod). Here's the third and fourth carrots.

On Saturday, after having been thwarted two other times by incorrect form and not enough "oomph", I finally gained my black stripe towards my black belt in karate. (the fifth carrot)

It's been a weekend of good news. Go me.