Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #1  
Too fat for Implanon

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Thoughts on Hormonal Birth Control

I'd just like to see what the general consensus is on this, as being a contributor to weight gain, preventing weight loss, etc.

I was on the Depo shot for about 2.75 years, and saw my weight increase about 30lbs during that time. Mostly I thought it was just my own fault, (poor eating habits, low activity) especially since my mom died during that time and I developed some stress eating. Additionally, I had streaks of physical activity, for months at a time, and never saw a (negative) change in my weight. Now I'm rather convinced that the hbc contributed, and I've eliminated it from my system, and I'm hoping to see some good results from the NS plan.

I'd just like to hear stories and opinions from others, if you'd like to share. I feel like I'm on a bit of a detox right now, as it's been 3 years since I was hormone-free. I'm not trying to blame all of my gains on the hormones, I know I've practiced bad habits. Any input would be nice.
thieved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #2  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

My weight remained completely stable when I stopped taking hbc. However, I feel a whole lot better overall.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Besides the Mirena IUD which I hope to get, I won't ever go back to hormonal birth control. Too much weight gain, headaches, and mood swings. It wasn't worth the cost.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/203.8/175

I have had the Mirena for 2 years and I love it. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if it is keeping me fat. I take responsibility for gaining most of the weight I have, but for some reason, no matter what I've done in the last 2 years, I can't lose weight. This time I am dead set on losing it. I've changed my eating, stopped drinking Diet pop, have been more active and have almost completed the Advocare 24 day challenge and my weight has hardly budged. My Mirena is coming out on Monday. I was planning on having it pulled over the summer anyway to possibly conceive again but I need to lose weight before I get pregnant and this is the only other thing I can think of. Drs and a lot of other people will tell you that Mirena doesn't cause weight gain and such, but a lot of people would beg to differ. We will see soon!
ErinYRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/tracker

Height: 5'10

I've been on birth control pills ever since I started my period when I was 12-almost 13 years old. I just had horrible, inconsistent, nasty periods with so many symptoms (vomiting, back pain, fevers) that I was missing too much school. I tried a few different kinds until I ended up on Seasonale when I 16, or somewhere around that age. It was wonderful for me. No side effects that I could tell and my periods were 4 times a year, short, less painful and it didn't ruin my life anymore. I've had undiagnosed thyroid issues my entire life, ever since childhood. As a child, I took ballet classes, gymnastics, jazz class, played every sport available, and was still the biggest kid on the team. (Pictures don't lie). I didn't overeat, didn't eat too unhealthy, no soda was allowed in the house growing up, so something was wrong, but I just kept going. Now, with a proper diagnosis, I think that has had a lot to do with my weight gain throughout my life, as well as getting sick at 19-20 and being pretty much sedentary and using food as comfort.

So, do I think birth control pills contributed to my weight gain? I don't really think so, and even if it did, they basically saved my life from being stuck at home in the house with horrible, unbearable periods. Now, I'm on a birth control pill that isn't really birth control, it's progesterone. The Seasonale was recalled and I got my period as normal and then it just never stopped, for 3-4 MONTHS. It was ****. So being on the progesterone now, I haven't had a period since and I am very happy (lots of emotional trauma from the countless doctors and tests and bleeding) and I'm in no rush to get off of it and my doctor is fine as it is keeping everything protected in my female region.

Sorry for the TMI, but in my opinion, birth control pills did not make me balloon up to 350 pounds.. just impossible, so it is a combination of things for me (bad eating habits, lack of exercise, thyroid issues, etc). So if I had to choose between awful bleeding issues where I wouldn't be able to do anything anyway, or being overweight, I'd choose being overweight. I was very happy at 250 pounds (my high school weight). I didn't miss out on anything and nothing held me back and I had many good friends, so if I can get back to that size, I will be happy. And 100 pound weight loss will do wonders for my body and my health, and who knows, maybe I will lose even more.

So trust me ladies, I know there are bad side effects of birth control pills, but some people desperately need them and if they help, a few extra pounds isn't going to hurt you in the long run, so don't suffer just because the world believes everyone should be a size 2.
tranquilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradPhase View Post
Besides the Mirena IUD which I hope to get, I won't ever go back to hormonal birth control. Too much weight gain, headaches, and mood swings. It wasn't worth the cost.
I agree, definitely not worth the cost!
KatieR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #7  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I found it's easier for me to lose weight while on them. But that's because I have PCOS and it helps balance my hormones.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I don't think it's really contributed to my weight gain. I did gain weight when I first when on them, but I was only 12 at the time and I think puberty had more to do with it than the pill. I have to be on them because my periods are very inconsistent. I had one once that lasted for over two months. For me my weight gain has been much more related to stress, poor eating habits, and lack of exercise.

That being said, I know people who have gained weight because of the pill, but I they are able to lose the weight they've gained. It might be a little harder to, but I would rather have a harder time losing weight than have my periods and hormones be all over the place, and be worried about getting pregnant.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote