General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Does anyone have a netbook??

I am looking into getting one and want to hear how others like them? It would basically be just for browsing the internet and email, etc. My latest laptop is on it's last legs, and don't want to spend 800+ on a new one. These seem pretty compact and nice though. What are some good brands, what should I look for? Or are they not worth it and getting the full size one is worth the 800+? What are some advantages vs disadvantages?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I've just got an Archos 10 and I love it!

It's really light weight
good screen
very fast (Windows XP)
lots of usb ports and slots I haven't investigated
camera
skype pre-loaded

it has no cd/dvd drive
the keyboard is really good - but it is about 80%, I think, of full size, so you need to concentrate if you touch type.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #3  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I have an acer. The only difficulty I have with it is that when I'm entering food in sparkpeople I can't scroll down to the enter button. I've found ways around it, but it's irksome nonetheless.

Other than that, for the purposes you mention, why would you need anything bigger? That's my new stance. Of course, I'd like all electronics to be small and easily hidden from visitors when they come over, and my husband likes them big and always visible. Go figger!
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #4  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I have a Samsung NC10-14GB and love it! It's compact, reliable, and easy to use. I attach a USB mouse because I hate touchpads. It has no internal CD/DVD drive, but I bought one that plugs into one of the USB ports. Works like a charm. I keep it and the mouse with the computer in a nice carrying bag.

I use my desktop for most of my computer needs, but when browsing while sitting downstairs while hubby plays video games, or when traveling, the netbook is perfect! I would get one instead of a laptop unless you have need for something more powerful. My son, for example, says he needs more processor power and a better graphics card for his work presentations. That sort of thing. But a casual user who wants only to browse, do email and a few games or light word processing--the netbook probably is enough.
DiverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/154

I got an EeePC one when I was in the States from Target and I love it, I use it for my school work and also my proper work. It got it for about $400 in the summer sale they were having.
KboP is offline   Reply With Quote