Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #1  

Default jeans: stretch or fitting better?

So awhile ago I posted about my low rise size 16 Old Navy jeans that have never really fit me very well. They are not stretch jeans at all, so do they stretch out very much anyway? My dad bought them for me which is why I have them.

Right now these jeans fit me perfectly. I wore them for one day of traveling, and they were pretty tight with some definite muffing top going on and then about 2 weeks later(sunday) I started wearing them again and they fit me great! They are my only jeans right now that fit me(which believe me, isn't a bad thing). My question is did I stretch them out by wearing them for that one day or did I actually lose some body fat in those 2 weeks?

P.S. I don't have a scale, it's in storage right now.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Have you washed them? Mine get stretched even after just one day, but then shrink back up after they're washed.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I'm kind of at the size where most of the jeans out there are the stretchy, but I have found that my new goal is to get into like regular jeans, ones that don't stretch as much. Usually with my stretchy jeans they stretch out like really quick after a wash. In fact they fit really well right after a wash, but like an hour later they are starting to go south. Basically I'm hiking them up every few minutes, they are way to big now.

I have a new pair of jeans that are a bit stretchy, smaller size, but stiff. A bit thicker in material and I think the stretch will be there, but not as much. If you haven't tossed your jeans in the wash, do so to see if they go back to a tighter shape. If they are stretching out soon after you wear them, then yeah they are becoming large on you then.

I have a pair of Old Navy jeans, in fact it was my first like normal looking pair lol. They are less stretchy than my Avenue jeans, but they do have a stretch factor. Washing provides a better fit, but in the end they fall off of me now. So, your jeans may be getting big on ya. See how it is in a few more weeks as well.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #4  

Yeah they have been washed but air dried, not dryer dried. I believe it is the dryer that affects the size. Maybe they are just stretchy, but either way before I couldn't even button or zip them up and now they fit! No amount of stretching can do that.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/224/155

Height: 5'8"

If you have washed them, Then yes, you have definitely lost the inches! Yay for you! The air drying is actually best anyway for jeans. Dryers actually tend to shrink not just bring back to original size, for me anyway Congrats!!
Selenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Selenan - that avatar is a hoot! is it a real dog??? LOL all passed out hehehe made me laugh!

I don't know what to say about your pants OP, if they feel good then it IS good Keep it up and they'll be falling off your bum soon

PS WHEN exactly did all nice heavy jeans get replaced with light weight stretchy fabric that really does my thighs no favour???
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I think that even just a wash tightens them up a bit! And besides, even if they stretched a bit, it sounds like this pair fits you too well now for that to be the only cause. You totally lost inches! woohoo!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/224/155

Trazey34- thanks! I'm not sure if it's a real dog actually...I found it on the Internet and it just totally cracked me up
Selenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think it depends on the jeans and what you were doing during the day. I find mine stretch after just an hour of sitting in the car.

For the record I don't like stretch in my jeans. It is so hard to find jeans without that stuff in it these days.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

If your jeans say 100% cotton on the inside tag, then no, they are not "stretch" jeans, even if they do stretch out somewhat after wearing. If there is even 5% of something like a spandex, then yes, they are stretch jeans.

Personally, I think you are smaller--congrats and a woo-hoo!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Sounds like you've lost weight to me.

I have about half a dozen pairs I'm rotating through right now. 2 are size 16, the rest are 18s. 1 of the 18s and both of the 16s are new, the rest are old. New jeans fit SO MUCH BETTER than old ones. The little bit of spandex makes them a totally different type of garment than the old jeans. My figure won't stop traffic (yet, it's getting there) but the spandex jeans show it off to much better advantage than the old, non-spandex ones.

However...with either type, spandex and non-spandex, I really can't wear them more than twice without washing/drying them or else they get so loose they be jailin. I'm 40 years old, jailin's not a look I'm going for.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #12  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
However...with either type, spandex and non-spandex, I really can't wear them more than twice without washing/drying them or else they get so loose they be jailin. I'm 40 years old, jailin's not a look I'm going for.

I've never heard that term before. Note to self: must consult my girlfriend who does work in a prison.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

In jail, they take away your belt and shoelaces...then your britches sag. In the 1990s this became known as jailin. Some young men sport this as a style. Some municipalities have considered bans on jailin. I have seen some boys in DC take this to the extreme of belting their jeans so far down you can see their entire backside...they do always have cool boxers on though. It's generally like a 15-25 year old thing.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just the washer would shrink them back to original size if they had stretched out any the one day you wore them and thy were tight - even if you air dry them. The shrinkage risk in the dryer is that they will shrink to smaller than original size. So I have to agree with the other posters, if they are fiting you better then you have lost and are smaller. Yay! Go you!
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
In jail, they take away your belt and shoelaces...then your britches sag. In the 1990s this became known as jailin. Some young men sport this as a style. Some municipalities have considered bans on jailin. I have seen some boys in DC take this to the extreme of belting their jeans so far down you can see their entire backside...they do always have cool boxers on though. It's generally like a 15-25 year old thing.
Oh, trust me, that's not just a DC thing. Having to walk around with one hand holding your pants up all the time? The waistband *below* your butt? Yeah. Although it seems to be less now than in years past.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-23-2009 at 12:37 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote