Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Protein Shakes??

Does anyone have a recomendation for protein shakes? Like your favorite kind and flavor... I can be pretty picky and the thought of it sounds horrible however I have been told by my trainer to start drinking them because I dont eat enough protein in my diet. Please Help
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #2  

I LOVE protein shakes! Here are a couple of my favourites:

1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup pina colada juice (this is sooo yummy!)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
I sometimes add fat-free vanilla yogurt as well

Another favourite - strawberry lemonade:

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup strawberry kiwi juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen fat free vanilla yogurt
lemon juice

I make both of these in the blender - so very yummy.
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've been using Vega which I like a lot. The chocolate and vanilla chai they have is pretty good. Half a frozen banana, one scoop of vega and some water makes a pretty tasty shake.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have been interested , too. I went to GNC and they had so many, I couldn't choose. Please some brand names and a little info about them.Thanks

Last edited by bargoo; 09-18-2009 at 03:06 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #5  

Nelie - I'm a big fan of Vega too - it's a fantastic product and so much more than just a protein shake. I like the chocolate blended with water and banana. I did find the taste a bit tough to adjust too and only started to REALLY enjoy it after I was well into my "clean eating" plan. But a great product.
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And where do you get Vega ?And getfitchicks, what kind of protein powder do you use ? Inquiring minds want to know ?

Last edited by bargoo; 09-18-2009 at 03:07 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #7  

I like Muscle milk Lite. It has 190 calories and has 25 grams of protein. I've had the chocolate, vanilla and cookies and cream and liked the chocolate and vanilla ones. The cookies and cream - not so much. They have a peanut butter and chocolate flavor as well as lots of ohers, but I haven't been able to find it in local stores.. just online
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Vega is usually found in your local health food store (I don't think GNC would carry it), more like a whole foods, co-op type place. I actually order it online as very few places carry it around here, not even whole foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

I like EAS in the Vanilla flavor. I can get it at Costco for $30 and it's a HUGE (purple) bag. The flavor is good, and for some reason help give a milk shake type texture when you use a banana.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I use Body Fortress Super Advanced in chocolate flavor. It is fairly cheap and I can handle the taste.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

I like to add 1-2 Tbsp milled flax seed to my shakes for a little extra fiber. Also adds a nice texture too if you're into that!
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Optimum Nutrition Gold tastes the best out of all the ones I tried.

Muscle Milk and BSN dessert protein are very good too, they taste like I shouldn't be having them while losing weight.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #13  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Can you help me?? I bought some vanilla flavored soy protein yesterday and made a protein shake that night:

2 cups milk
5 tbs powder (the carton said 3 tbs per 1 c. milk so I went a little light)
1 peach (peeled first)
a couple handfuls of raspberries

I very excitedly whipped it up in the blender and served it to myself and my kids. My 8 year old son, who is very dramatic, reported that it tasted like drinking plaster, and after I was done laughing, I had to agree with him. The texture was all wrong, and it wasn't really cold enough.

So to make it colder, I suppose I could try frozen fruit or adding ice. But what about the rest of it? *Should* it be like drinking plaster?? Did I add too much powder? Not enough fruit? Is it because it's *soy* protein?? I admit that I didn't really do my research first and don't even know if there is something other than soy. The bummer is that it is so expensive so now I'm stuck with it.

I was planning to mix a little into my hot cereal in the morning, but now I'm afraid. Is that a reasonable use for it?

Help!!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Default plaster disaster

hi newleaf!
My freezer is stocked with frozen bananas, strawberries & blueberries for smoothies and shakes. I recently started making protein shakes & always toss in 1/2 frozen banana. The banana adds the thickness and flavor that should help mask the plaster taste.
ALSO, yes... add a handful of ice & blend til smooth. Oops- don't forget to add a dash of vanilla if you wanna get fancy !
Good luck!!
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #15  
Graceful Loser

I work @ GNC, and I've found most people on diets go for Isopure. It comes in a powder and a punch-esque drink. I've tried the latter, and I really did NOT like the texture. There's a film of protein that coats your mouth when you swallow it, which is very yuck.

I personally like Designer Whey - not for the taste, but because it mixes SO well and is so good for you. Eighteen grams of protein and less than one hundred calories .. it's a pretty good find.

A tip, though .. GNC does mark downs on their protein and you can usually get some awesome deals. Ask about products that are marked down because of their expiration date!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote