Old 09-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default supermarket disaster

So... this day started well, with me down two more on the scale...

So happy, I decided to go shopping. Went to the same store where I recently bought my first ever size 20s, and decided I could do an 18. The 18s fit-- about as snug as the 20s were when I first bought them, which was only about a month ago...

Emboldened, I tried on some more 18s, 20s, 1Xs and 2Xs... all the jackets were too tight. The 2X fitted shirts were tight, and even though I KNOW that the 2xs wouldn't have fit me AT ALL before, I still was kinda discouraged...

So, I decided to go next door, to the chichi food store where they have great fish-- as well as all kinds of high end baked goods and just every other good thing.

Started shopping, everything going fine, went through the baked goods section-- still doing okay.

Then, all of a sudden, I was so hungry that I felt like I was going to faint, and I started looking all around, checking calories on everything, trying to find something to wolf down right then and there.

Suddenly, I came to my senses and decided I needed to go home and eat. I was sort of out of sync because I ate breakfast late and so only had a partial lunch.

As I was getting into the car, I was thinking how weird it was. I wasn't even feeling hungry when I went in the store. I don't know if it was just that I was below my calories and seeing all that food suddenly triggered my hunger, or if it was some underlying discouragement from realizing that 44 lb weight loss or not, I'm still basically a size 3 plus.

When I got home, I made myself a healthy on plan sandwich and ate it, and I'm fine now, but I don't want that to happen again.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #2  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Good for you, you didn't cave in to the temptations at the store. I'll bet you feel proud of yourself!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
As I was getting into the car, I was thinking how weird it was. I wasn't even feeling hungry when I went in the store. I don't know if it was just that I was below my calories and seeing all that food suddenly triggered my hunger, or if it was some underlying discouragement from realizing that 44 lb weight loss or not, I'm still basically a size 3 plus.
Neither! No way. Maybe you were a bit hungry and thus vulnerable--and you were feeling disappointed (and probably you "managed" that in the past by eating)--but that feeling of famished hunger?--That my dear came straight from the SMELLS of everything around you. And since nothing is likely actually cooked or baked in a food court--it was ALL MANUFACTURED. It's like you walked by one of those perfume Spritzing people and were doused--only this was with food smells.

And congrats to you for getting out of there quickly. Seriously--that was ver, very smart. It would have been so easy to succump. So bravo.
This is why I don't shop!

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #4  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

WAY TO GO!!!-that really is a hard situation--i know i always used to reward myself(good or bad) with yummy treats- and its good to know that you can beat that urge--keep up the good work and be proud everytime you beat it!!!
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

It sounds to me like maybe you had a mini panic/anxiety attack. I get them often when I'm at the grocery store...in the baked good section...my food addiction trigger. Glad you made it out and didn't self medicate!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #6  
carol43

Lightbulb low sugar

When was the last time you had a check up... Have your A1C checked...
Sounds like your surgar dropped.
I am diabetic and I know low blood sugar.. and thats excacty what I have went thru several times.. It happened just the other day.. So get checked out and dont long periods with out eating...
They can do the A1C test in the doctors office now.Takes about 6 minutes...
Used to have to draw blood now they can do it with a finger stick...
carol43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #7  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Ubergirl, congrats on your display of will power. But please heed carol43's advice. Low blood glucose can make one feel off kilter.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #8  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Firstly, it was no disaster! I could have been, but as you didn't eat any of it, there was no disaster. This was a supermarket success story.

Secondly, you were hungry! It sounds like your eating had been unusual that day, and if you hadn't eaten anything in a few hours, (particularly if what you had eaten was low in fat or protein) this is what bodies do! They run out of blood sugar, and then send off a message to you brain that you neeeeeed foooooood. Unfortunately, you were near cake when it happened, and so you freaked out. But you resisted the cake temptation and did exactly the right thing - got out of there and ate something healthy.

Thirdly, this will happen again! All the planning and willpower in the world cannot negate your instinct to eat when hungry. But next time you can think "well, I survived the supermarket that time, I can resist this time too!" Oh, and next time, carry a snack.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

GREAT FOR YOU!

It sounds like you need more protein earlier in the day. Also, next time you get hungry...hit the produce area...bananas do the trick. Or, find some raw almonds. If you will eat 15-20 along with the banana, I promise you will be good for a while.

WTG! Way to work it girl!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #10  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Default I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol43 View Post
When was the last time you had a check up... Have your A1C checked...
Sounds like your surgar dropped.
I am diabetic and I know low blood sugar.. and thats excacty what I have went thru several times.. It happened just the other day.. So get checked out and dont long periods with out eating...
They can do the A1C test in the doctors office now.Takes about 6 minutes...
Used to have to draw blood now they can do it with a finger stick...
Sounds like low blood sugar... I have gone through this toooooo many times. The way you describe it, sounds like that is what it is.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote