Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Eggbeaters?

Do they make a different brand that doesn't taste so strange?

IMO, these "eggs" taste like the film that comes off the shell when you peel a boiled egg.

I made a ham & cheese omelette yesterday morning and I barely got it down. And then last night for supper we had breakfast, French toast to be exact and I used eggbeaters instead of regular eggs, it was pretty good.

I've come to the conclusion that eggbeaters taste so much better when mixed in something rather than eating them like scrambled eggs.

What do y'all think?
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Gosh - I have had eggbeaters many times and don't taste a funny taste. However, when use them in a scramble, I always use some ketchup because that's the way I like scrambled eggs.

Actually - now I use egg whites from fresh eggs for my scrambles, french toast, etc. They taste great to me. Of course, they are white - but, you get used to that. And - it's alot less expensive to use egg whites rather than eggbeaters.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #3  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Really? Maybe it's just me then.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #4  

I don't post here, but saw your post on eggbeaters. I only use eggbeaters when I cook with eggs and I use them in absolutely everything and never found them to fail, from chicken fried steak and steak fingers, to french toast, homemade bread products or anything that uses eggs. The fact is, they are not ever going to have the rich taste of egg yolk like a regular egg so if you are eating them just as eggs and absolutely can't have the cholesterol of regular eggs, kick them up a bit with other things, add veggies, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, hot sauce, ff cheese or any variety of spices you like. If you can have eggs but are trying to cut calories, etc, use one serving egg beater and one egg mixed together. My husband and I are on WW and I thought he would kick a fit by using them in cooking but he can't tell the difference. He just basically quit eating eggs as eggs except for occasionally and then eats regular eggs. Hope this gives you another perspective. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Yes it does, thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I generally use a store brand but sometimes buy eggbeaters when I shop at a different store and I can't tell the difference between them. They are basically the same as egg whites with some yellow food coloring and stabilizer,I think. I use them instead of egg whites for convenience and not having to deal with the egg yolk, which I otherwise might be tempted to eat (in a scramble).

Like others have said, they are only good for a straight egg substitute if you add some flavor. I also put ketchup on eggs (which I pretty much always cook with frozen spinach) and then it's fine.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Maybe I'm not picky, but the Southwestern flavored eggbeaters taste delicious to me. I just spray some PAM into a pan and fry them up.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

They do taste weird. I remember a friend of mine was having cholesteral problems, and ordered an eggbeater omlette in a restaurant. I was curious, so I tasted it. It tasted nothing like eggs, and I felt so bad for her!

I do use them for hungry girl type recipies, where you have to coat something with egg. Then you don't really notice the taste. I think that unless you have a cholesteral problem, there's no reason not to eat real eggs, they're good for you, packed with protien! (This is what I was told by the ladies here, after I freaked out because eating one egg caused my dailyplate to say that I was way over my cholesteral for the day!)
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #9  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I eat the eggbeaters almost every morning, I add a little bit of garlic powder and a little pepper. I think that takes the odd taste out of them for me.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #10  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Does anyone know which part of the egg contributes more to the protein? Is it the white or the yolk? Just curious. Thanks!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #11  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Its the white, 4 grams protein. The yolk has 2.7 grams.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #12  
Mini-Goal #1: 160 by 4/14

S/C/G: 185-ish/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I love them in a breakfast burrito....I scramble, add veggies or a little lean ham and LF cheese and roll it all up in a tortilla. You can freeze several at a time and pop them in the microwave for a quick breakfast....yum!
sweettart08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I used to buy eggbeaters but now I just break open the egg and seperate them. If I make an omellete I'll use 3-4 egg whites and one yolk for more flavor
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #14  
sct
Shy chick

S/C/G: sw167/cw145

Height: 5'-10"

Egg beaters are basically just egg whites with yellow coloring...

INGREDIENTS:
Egg whites (99%), less than 1%: Natural flavor, color (includes beta carotene), spices, salt, onion powder, vegetable gums (xanthan gum, guar gum).

Last edited by sct; 09-17-2009 at 02:20 PM.
sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #15  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I love egg beaters... but eating regular AA eggs tends to make me feel sick... so I may not be the best judge.

I haven't seen many other substitutes out there, but you could always separate the eggs yourself and just eat the whites... or do 2-1 whites, yolk. ???
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote