Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Default When it really hits...

I've been doing a lot of yard work this year, and over the summer I intentionally killed about 1/2 acre of (weeds) in the far back yard to continue the lawn. It's way out there, so it was mostly weeds and stuff. Anyway, I got to the point that I needed to spread my grass seed and I had several 20 pound bags of seed I needed to haul back there. No problem, I'll carry them. I put a bag under each arm, (40 pounds total) and started walking. OMGosh, about half way there I thought I was going to die. That extra 40 pounds was HEAVY. I started doing a little quick calculation and realized I had lost 9...NINE bags of grass seed. It was no wonder I could barely make it up the stairs, or breath.

If anyone is feeling they need a little motivation, strap yourself with the weight you lost and take a long walk. It is a real eye opener.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You are amazing, Lori!!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Oh don't I know it. One of my hounds weighs exactly 50 lbs, and she hurt her back a few days ago. I've been having to carry her, slung over my shoulder, up and down the stairs 3-4 times a day so she can go potty outside. OMG! I have lost 2 1/2 basset hounds from my person! How the HECK did I EVER go UP a flight of stairs before?!?! Well, I remember how: slowly, holding onto the rail, dragging myself up, ankles screaming, knees wailing, sweating. That's how.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

It might sound a little crazy, but I've never even thought of that. It's an interesting thing, our bodies, the way that they work no matter what we put them through... And to think of how hard we make our bodies work when we hang onto all this extra weight. It's a little saddening... Anyhow, I am seriously going to try this tonight. I haven't lost nearly as much as you have, but maybe it can be another one of my motivators to remind me to keep going.

ADD: dchound - you are an inspiration! You've been working so hard for just over a year and you're still at it! Congrats on your weight loss so far!!!

Last edited by stargzr; 09-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #5  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

So true Lori Bell! You've had such amazing success - what an inspiration!!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
If anyone is feeling they need a little motivation, strap yourself with the weight you lost and take a long walk. It is a real eye opener.
Oh no thank you. I think I'll pass. There is no way I could move with that much added weight on me. Okay. There you have it. That's why I barely moved. That's why I had zero energy. That's why walking a block was torture. That's why I was barely functioning. That's why.....

And to think, with all those extra pounds, my poor heart remained the same size. It's really not fair what I put my heart through. All that extra work I placed upon it. And somehow, with G-d's help it held up.

Thanks for the reminder LoriBell.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
This is the advice that I give newbies who complain or feel sad that they have "only" lost 10 pounds. Ten pounds is a LOT if you have to pick up a ten pound sack of potatoes and carry it around the store.

Last week, I bought a case of Talking Rain water at Costco. It had 30- 16 oz bottles in it and I could barely get it into the house. So....with packaging, it was probably a little over 30 pounds, and I could barely get it from the car, up the back steps, and into the house. And I have lost 1.5 cases of Talking Rain water. I had it strapped to my tummy....my butt....my legs....my chest. Like you say, no wonder I felt so out-of-breath going up stairs.

45 pounds is a modest amount of weight, comparitively speaking. But losing it has made a world of difference. I hope that lurkers reading this will understand that you don't have to face losing ALL your weight at once. Even losing part of it will make a huge difference in your life, and then you can work on the rest of it if you choose.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

There is no way that I could do it. I've lost an average sized woman!

I totally get you Lori. When I have to carry my 60 lb 8 year old I nearly die!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

It's amazing to me when on TBL they make the contestants carry the weight they lost. It's hard to realize sometimes just what we are carrying around with us!

Now you can come help me reclaim some woods at our new house. I don't have the foggiest idea of how to do it, but I want more yard (3 cleared acres isn't enought to make me happy.. we sit on 4 cleared now and I would love more at the new house that has a total of 9.5 acres).
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Haha, I also have to agree with Robin and say thanks but no thanks to toting around the weight I lost again
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

thank heavens i opened this thread today! i was feeling really bummed that the weight was coming off so slowly but you girls made me realise every pound lost is having a profound effect on my health.

thanks so much!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I was thinking about this thread a little earlier when I picked up a 50lb bag of dog food...wow don't even ask me to pick up 135lbs lol I don't know how my body did it but I think it's much happier now not to work double time anymore
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
dchound - you are an inspiration! You've been working so hard for just over a year and you're still at it! Congrats on your weight loss so far!!!
Thanks Stargazer!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Great thread!! what an eye opener! I was keeping my 11 month old granddaughter the other day and had been carrying her around most of the day. I was exhausted by evening and she is only 20lbs.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Always one to be an inspiration, Lori,ty.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote