Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/224/195

Height: 5''

Default Would You Try It??

So I'm guilty of loving those gossip columns with celebrities, who's not?
I have a question and I think it fits here:

Would you try a product that is endorsed by someone famous?

I read that Khloe and Kim Kardashian are endorsing a a product called Quick Trim Diet. I got curious and went to the pills website and all that is on it is pictures of Kim. Shouldn't they be using Khloe since she has lost more weight then Kim?

But would you try this product? I mean both girls look gorgeous before they lost the weight but whatever makes them feel better right? (As long as their healthy of course)
MarySnidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Honestly, no, for a few reasons.

First, most of ingredients in any of the supplements they're selling are either a) not proven to help with weight loss, b) unsafe for some (like white willow bark, which is basically aspirin), or c) are diuretics and natural laxatives that will promote water loss, but not fat loss.

Second, as 3FC has shown me, weight loss is possible with diet and exercise alone...even amazing, transformative weight loss. And if I can do it on my own, why would I pay money to take a pill that isn't proven effective, might be harmful, and won't give me any more than diet and exercise would anyway? Diet and exercise, at least, are free, unlike these (and similar) supplements.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't use something that is endorsed by a celebrity... they are being paid to say that they are using it, when they may have never even tried it. If you want something to help you lose weight, get something that will boost your workout, not cause you to lose weight. I went to GNC and am trying their "Be Hot" pills, they just boost your workouts, which I like. I can feel that I sweat more when I take them and workout vs not.
dellerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #4  

Less than a month ago Khloe Kardashian told Lifestyle magazine she shed 20 pounds in just four weeks by "working out 45 minutes a day, five days a week and maintaining a balanced, practical diet."

Now suddenly she says it's this quick trim stuff too.

Sounds to me like she did it with just her own willpower, and some company is trying to capitalize on that.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Nope. Wouldn't even consider it. Not for a second.

I wanted to lose the weight safely and PERMANENTLY. Permanently. Lose it. Never to have it reappear again.

And IMO and many others, the ONLY way to do that is to change your lifestyle. Incorporate good and healthy eating/exercise habits into your life.

There are NO quick fixes, magic pills or potions. No big secrets. If there was, don't you think Oprah would have known about it and DONE it? Nope. What works best, is eating well, staying within a certain calorie allotment and exercise. REALIZING that this is the way to live for optimal health and well-being. Optimal. Long term. *Works* like a charm.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I was younger (teens, very early 20's), I did fall for a lot of scams, including "celebrity" plans. On some, I lost weight fast, but regained even faster. The only thing I lost was my money.

I finally realized (after watching a lot of celebrities "come out" about their eating disorders) that celebrities are the LEAST likely among us to lose weight safely. Their income and status depends upon their image and appearance. Who would be more tempted to lose weight in a crazy and dangerous manner than someone whose livelihood depended upon it?

Add to that the number of "false" endorsements in which celebrities endorse products they never used, and the number of products that "claim" endorsements from celebrities that haven't actually used or endorsed the product (Oprah is suing some colon-cleanse product companies for using her image and falsely claiming that she uses and endorses the product), and there are even fewer reasons to try these products.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

No, I wouldn't. Not even a product that was endorsed by the 2 celebrities I idolize (Jeff Hardy and Faith Hill ). I will just stick to counting calories and exercising.

Last edited by Onederchic; 09-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

quick trim isn't a new product, it was around about 10 years ago and then I think it was taken off the market in the US and could only be bought in other countries.

I DID try it way back when, when it wasn't endorsed by anyone. it was mostly just a strict diet of high protein, low carbs and I didn't stick to it. I remember the pills tasted terrible and were hard to swallow. so a boring diet and yucky pills for 14 days.

It's probably been revamped since then and Khloe and Kim Kardashian are gorgeous, but I don't think I'll be trying Quick Trim again.

Kim has her own workout videos out that I've been wanting to get that look good. I am a sucker for celebrity workout videos, hoping they are sharing the secret workout they use to look that way. but not diet pills because I know they have personal chefs and trainesr to help them look the way they do.

ETA: It's funny as I was reading this thread, up above is a banner advertising QT and Kim's diet plan.. I know 3FC doesn't control the ads, but I hate those trackers.

Last edited by ringmaster; 09-12-2009 at 06:38 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/224/195

Height: 5''

I'm glad everyone agrees, I brought this topic up in my english class while we were discussing advertising and two girls went on a rampage about how pills endorsed by celebrities are the real deal. Sadly they kinda where ganged up on by the whole class, but it's scary how some people think.

I agree, a healthy diet and work out plan really is the best or something bad could happen.
MarySnidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #10  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I am swayed by science not celebrity.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #11  

Well, in my opinion its probably safer if you wouldn't try. Besides, its not proven and it may not work for everyone. Its better to stick to diet and exercise.
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote