Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default Puppy Chow

Hello all! I'm looking for a healthier recipe for Puppy Chow. I've been craving it for a little while now, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any recipes that are similar.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:11 PM   #2  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

????
Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #3  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Angry ??

Kira - wassup with Puppy Chow?! LOL Is this a new fad diet?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:21 PM   #4  

Angry Puppy Chow

I think I've had this before....is it the powdered sugar/chocolate/chex/peanut butter dessert??

I can't think of a way to make it healthier, but I'll let you know if I find anything!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:48 PM   #5  

Yeah, sorry! I should have said what it was! You've got it loveschocolate, it made from chex cereal, powdered sugar, chocolate and peanut butter.

I LOVE this stuff, but I don't know if there is anyway to make it more diet friendly.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:44 AM   #6  
missaprylj

wheat chex and low fat peanut butter would make it a **TAD** but better... and using less powdered sugar. Chocolate is pretty hard to make less deadly though... :S Good luck! Peace. -Apryl

Old 01-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #7  
stbakd

the ingredients looks better than the name. how do you make it ? ttfn
glen
Old 01-10-2003, 02:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have to make puppy chow a lot for my husband...ladies-I do not recommend eating this stuff if you have never eaten it before. You cannot crave what you have never had! The last time I made it, I added up the calories of all the ingredients, and divided that by how many cups it made, and it turns out to be about 200 calories and a zillion fat grams in about 1/3 cup. NOT GOOD!
For those of you who don't know, you melt chocolate chips with an obscene amount of butter or margerine and peanut butter, and toss it in with a small box of either Chex or Crispix-put it into large ziploc bags, and then cover it in powdered sugar and shake it. You are pretty much coating cereal with fat, sugar, and fat-and then shaking it up with a ton more sugar...
There is really no way of lightening it up any-because you have to have chocolate and powdered sugar, and you have to have the margerine or butter to thin and smooth out the mixture-and even lower fat peanut butter is still really high in calories-almost 200 for 2 tablespoons. You cannot use sweetener in place of the powdered sugar...so no matter what-it is going to be really fattening. I have succeeded to lighten up a lot of recipes, and this is one that you really cannot do anything with.
My suggestion is to maybe make a healthier mix out of chex, raisins, and maybe have a few M&Ms or chocolate chips in with it, and see if that will suffice the craving.
Aphil
Closed Thread