Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Default Is 1300-1400 Enough?

I'm not big on counting calories, but out of curiosity I tracked my calories today. I eat pretty much the same thing every day (the protein may change, but it is always lean). I figured it out to be 1350 calories. I eat low calorie, low fat foods, fresh fruits and veggies, fibre, etc.

What I want to know is, is this enough to lose a good amount of weight. I am not hungry. At times I have to force myself to eat to make sure I'm getting enough for the day.

I work out on my wii for 30 minutes a day, most days cardio (freestep, walking with the jogging game, or the rhythm boxing, or a combination of those) a couple times a week I do the yoga and strength training.

I feel good. I would just like some feedback. And I hate keeping a food journal, it has always been my downfall in the past, seeing in print if I go off plan is enough to make me go off it permanently. So writing it down is out of the question. Like I said I just did it today out of curiosity.

Sarah
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

My thought on it is, if you are not feeling hungry and you are losing then it is a good thing.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I waver on the answers to questions like this. I mean, none of us (myself included) gained weight eating 1350 calories a day. I do agree that if you move to more whole foods it is possible to feel full on a smaller number of calories. The only caution I would have is what you're going to do if you come to a place where you need to lower your calories to continue losing weight?

The other thing would be to watch that you're not eating a very low fat diet, as it can eventually (for some people) cause thinning hair. If you're eating a lot of salads and/or veggies it could be as simple as splashing a little olive oil into the dish.

For a day or two, or here and there, the low calories aren't going to be a big deal. Consistent lower calories may get your body used to those lower calories, and maybe you don't want to live on even less. In the end it's up to you. If you're not usually counting and maybe estimating on the low side then it might not be a problem. But if you're estimating on the high side you might be even eating less than you think. You will lose weight at the calorie level you're eating. Then one of two things will happen. You'll either continue to lose weight (some do) or you'll find that you can't lose weight on what you're eating (others find this).

Everyone eventually finds something that works for them. An interesting point is that I'm eating more calories now than I was at 358 pounds. It used to surprise me, but not so much anymore. I still lose somewhere around 1.5 pounds a week on 2000 calories. I am, however, a fairly active person. Even when home all day I move around a lot (between rooms, up and down stairs, out in the garden, etc.).

Last edited by RealCdn; 09-09-2009 at 10:02 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #4  

A few times a week I do make my own balasmic vinegar and olive oil salad dressing. I may track my calories for the week and see. We have pizza about once a week, so of course I get more calories that day and the next day (leftovers).
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Like Anne... it's hard to say. I started at close to 400 lbs and lost WELL on 1800 calories a day. Now at 230 I eat 1500 per day and I'm still losing well. I didn't want to take my calories down TOO fast as I wouldn't have any where to go if I stalled. My last stall I was able to drop calories 100 and it broke it...

So it's an individual thing but this works for me.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #6  

I looking at what I ate today, I think I need to add more whole grains. the grains I eat are whole grains, but I don't eat them every day, or only one or two servings of them. Come to think of it, I haven't had any of my whole wheat pasta in 3 weeks. Maybe that is what I'll have for dinner tomorrow night. *yum*
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/224/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi Sarah! I just wanted to say that if you continue to eat so low calories and your weight loss starts to stall, you may be entering what's known as Starvation Mode...at least that's what I've always been told Basically, when you consistently eat too low of calories, your body will assume that food supply is low and it will hold on to anything and everything that it can. If you do see the weight loss start to slow or stop all together, just try adding more calories for a while and see if it helps. I'm definitely not saying that you are eating too low or what you should eat calorie wise. Every body is different and sometimes the "fun" thing about weightloss is the different adjustments we each have to make to our diet to get our bodies to finally let go of that excess weight. I hope this helps!

Last edited by Selenan; 09-10-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Selenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I only do 1200 a day, and when I first started here, a lot of people said it was too low, but it has been working for me.

I'm 48 and I just don't think my motor burns that fast anymore. Plus, I only exercise about four times a week, and I'm NOT a very active person. I hate housework and don't tend to bustle around very much.

Plus, what I like about the number I've chosen is that I don't have to be neurotic about weighing and measuring. There's wiggle room so that if I accidentally eat a little more than a TBS of peanut butter, or 5 oz instead of 4 oz of chicken breast I still lose.

I think the right amount is what feels right and what you think you can stick with. I tried and failed to stick to 1200 cals in the past-- but now, it seems like enough.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
I waver on the answers to questions like this. I mean, none of us (myself included) gained weight eating 1350 calories a day. I do agree that if you move to more whole foods it is possible to feel full on a smaller number of calories. The only caution I would have is what you're going to do if you come to a place where you need to lower your calories to continue losing weight?.
At her current calorie intake, she should be able to hit 140 pounds or so. She might be happy with this goal. If she wants to go lower she can begin walking about an hour a day to burn probably 250-300 calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You are on the right track with whole foods, fiber, etc. Focusing on fruits, veggies and plenty of lean proteins will really, REALLY help with cravings and caring for your body on reduced calories. Be sure you get your *healthy fats* in there somewhere. Raw almonds, small servings of peanut butter, olive oil, avacado, even high quality dark chocolate goes a LONNNNG way in staving off cravings. I swear it works.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Everyone is different. Right now I'm eating between 1800 and 2000 a day, I lose an average of 2 pounds a week, which is fast enough for me.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #12  

I am upping my intake by a couple hundred calories. Breaking into small meals throughout the day, as opposed to 3 big meals. I will do this for a couple weeks and see how it goes.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Good luck. Keep us updated.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #14  

Height: 6'1

Its different for everyone. At my current weight, technically I should be losing 2 lbs a week by eating around 2100 calories a day. I plan on adjusting for every 10lbs I lose. I was eating like 1200-1400 calories, but it was so hard to keep that up. Plus I figured, I won't have much leeway to reduce calories once I got to a lower weight. But thats just my body.

Last edited by shasha17a; 09-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCutie View Post
I am upping my intake by a couple hundred calories. Breaking into small meals throughout the day, as opposed to 3 big meals. I will do this for a couple weeks and see how it goes.
This is what I, among many others, do. I go by an 1800 cal limit (with a 200 cal cushion). I allow for 300 for breakfast, 250 for snacks before lunch (I have a nusing baby so sometimes I am up way early or just need extra snackings during the day), 300 for lunch and another 250 for more snacks. Dinner is my big meal of the day at 500 calories and then I have 200 more snack calories for after dinner (hubby and I LOVE to snuggle on the sofa with some snacks and watch some tv). I always have my 200 extra calories to fall back on if I need even more of a snack on any given day... most days I don't need them, but they keep me from feeling guilty if I do feel the need to eat more. I try to make sure not to go more than 3 hours without eating something.. usually it's only 2 hours max between times I eat and by the time I hit 3 hours I'm famished and way over eat, so I try to avoid that at all costs.

Let us know how you are making out, and if we can help you in any way!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote