Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default pull up bar installed...now what?

Ok, I am a big wuss. I can not do ONE pull up. The bar is 6'4" up on the door frame. This is a good height from what I have read. I have taken a little stool to stand on, and I jump off it and ATTEMPT to hang from the bar trying to pull my weight up--pretty comical. It's so wierd that I am built, but can't do ONE friggin pull up.

so is this ok? I can't think of another way to actually TRY to do it. This perfect pull up bar has a swing down bar.you can pull yourself to the bars in a sort of plank position..but when I am doing it...the muscles worked feel more like the muscles worked for pushups...not pull ups.

right now, my arms are soooo sore FROM what LITTLE I did, they feel almost useless.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

Oh no don't feel bad, you've taken the step that 95% of women never have before - installing the bar, and trying! So give yourself credit for that. I have never tried a pull up personally, it's one of my next goals. I just have to find a place to install the bar - we rent so that's hard. But anyway! I have read a few things that can help ease your way into a pull up.

1. Raise yourself up to the pulled-up position with a stool or chair, and do a reverse-pullup by lowering yourself down. This will get the muscles involved used to the motion, and get them to start doing what you want them to in the opposite direction.

2. I don't know of any in particular, but I have read that there are bands that you can attach to the bar that you sort of stand on to assist you with the pull up by lowering the actual weight that you're pulling up, and the resistance pushing you up a bit. I've read that there are various resistances in these bands so that as you get better at pull ups, you can lower the resistance/assistance.

I am so impressed though that you're working on it, good luck and I'm sure you will be doing one (or more!) in no time!
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm sure you can find them online, but here's the band that I've used. I'm posting the link so you can see the video. I found the video very helpful, especially on getting out of the band.

http://www.agatsu.com/store/cart.php...ct_detail&p=59
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/148?

Height: 5'3"

I am in the same boat, I have been working on it for about two weeks now.

Now, I can jump up, hold for a few seconds and try to lower myself slowly. I can't imagine being able to pull myself up from a stand still. But, I can imagine me trying and trying, so I will get it one day.

Mine is in the bathroom door, so I can put my foot up on the sink and I can lift that way. Now, I can let my kids hold my foot and pull up (I can't use my leg to push up since that would knock the child over, but I am decreasing my bodyweight a tad).

We will get it!

It is surprsing though, I would have thought I could have done this.

But I will, and so will you!
roundpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

do you have to have strong door frame to use these pullup things? I'm just imagining me hanging on it and the whole door collapsing from my weight or my hands getting tired holding my weight and me falling on the floor.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #6  

lol...that last one ....and the kicking the kid part. Mine is installed in my bathroom door way too. I don't think, I would like to try to kick my legs up onto the sink, but the bands sound promising...Yeah...I basically hop up..grab on tight and TRYYYYYYEEEEE to hold myself up....then lower myself back down.

IF we are trying we have to get it EVENTUALLY right????
Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #7  
Mel

Try the bands....I love them!

And don't beat yourself up; pull ups are incredibly difficult for most women.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I just started it yesterday. And, there's no way I can do it without the chair right now. Not to mention, I'm only 5'1" and the top of the door frame is way above my height. I had to ask DH to hang it up for me . Ours is installed on the inside garage door. I use one leg on the chair and my other leg is straight down in case the chair flips or I am about to fall I can use my leg to balance myself. I'm assuming the way I am doing it is ok?

This is what we have - Iron Gym Bar

Last edited by pintobean; 09-10-2009 at 08:40 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Please don't beat yourself up over a pullup! Very few women can do them - I can do two in a row after years of strength training!

Women have much lower muscle mass than men do (especially in upper body distribution). It could easily take many women YEARS to do a single pullup in proper form (some could do it sooner but it is not common).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #10  

OH thanks Sacha...that means alot coming from a strength training guru. I love it how my fellow chickies are trying the same thing! And we all look funny doing it!!!

i have this http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pushup...2638564&sr=1-1 (the man is not included). If you scroll over the pictures it shows the different exercises you can do including the swing down bar (which is an awesome feature for weaklings like me)

I also have this to work on my ab definition http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pullup...2638734&sr=1-2. It reminds me of the captain chair.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #11  

Hi,

a couple of us discussed about this in the exercise forum, and many have recommended the giant rubber bands. They can be quite pricey, and I got palletbands as a cheaper allternative. If you google on assisted pullups you'll probabely be able to see how it works. I need 3 - 4 1 inch wide palletbands to assist (started last week) & it works. And does not involve using the sink or a kid (with possible chances of breakdown or injury). I put a link in the exercise thread, but I believe you can mail order from mac master.
have fun,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #12  
Jools

Height: 5foot1.5inches

Keep at it Jendiet!

Great advice from all here already and DO work at the negatives - ie climb up on the chair, get hold of the bar and lower yourself sloooowly.

When you can do 10 slow negatives you'll probably find you can do one proper pull up.
4Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Welcome ^_^. You can also google "kippling pullup" as an alternative (videos on crossfit.com) or use a bosu ball (the half bosu) to assist in pullups (just stand on them but try not to bounce too much)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm impressed that any of you can do a single pull-up! I will continue to live vicariously through all of you while I use the assisted pull-up machine at the gym...
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote