Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 12:11 AM   #1  

Default Friday here and a big hello to you all!

Hello to everyone! I'm new to this site although not to dieting and weight concerns (sigh). Figured this would be a good time to gather support... tis the season to gain weight and it definitely doesn't make ME jolly!

I'll apologize in advance for not knowing the ropes. This site is quite sophisticated and it looks like some of you are here a lot.

I've heard lovely things about 3FC and hope to make some friends. Catch ya later!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:51 AM   #2  

Hi Marleah,

Glad to have you here. The ladies here are a great bunch of people. It really helps for me to come her. It helps more when I come here often...like almost everyday.

The holidays are not a great time to try to lose weight....but just take one day at a time....& do the best you can.

Hope to see you here often.

I think I am cheating. Where I am...it's not really Friday yet...but it is where you are.

April
Old 11-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Marleah !

You guys are right, Tis the Season to gain another 20 lbs. My goal this year is not to gain, and just maintain my pudgy ol self. Like Linny said, 3 carrots for every cookie

TGIF !!! its been a long week, I'm so looking foward to our holiday next week yahoo 4 days !!

Whats everyone cooking ? Hey I'll start a thread on that.

Be back later, Love Leenie
Old 11-22-2002, 09:50 AM   #4  

Hello and welcome to the forum! some of us have been hanging out here forever, but I remember how complicated this forum seemed to me in the beginning. Just relax and come visit. We don't bite although LindaT sometimes seems to nibble, but only on cookies.
It's finally Friday and I'm going to get a few things done, honest. No more procrastinating. I lost the urge to paint but best find it soon.

Have a good weekend everyone!!
Old 11-22-2002, 10:11 AM   #5  

I love today. It is the last day if this boring week. I know I will be having fun this weekend. Hubby and I are going to do some shopping and work on the lights outside. I think it is going to be a battle of the neighbors this year. I am actually quite scared.

Next week will only be a 2 day work week for me. We are going to north Louisiana to our camp. The whole family will be there so we have to leave early so we can beat some of them up there to stake our claim for a bed. I really don't want to sleep on the floor. It is bad enough that we have one bathroom for 16 people. Hot water doesn't last that long so we have to jump in and jump out. I guess it is kind of fun in a way.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:12 AM   #6  

Sorry, welcolm Mar. I joined this post about a month ago I I think these gals are great. Hope to see you here often.

By the way where is Cathy?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:05 AM   #7  

Talking Up and at 'em----TGIF and all that stuff!

I sing that line (above) to my kids in the morning fridays to wake them up!...they hate it! or at least they try and pretend they hate it!

Well I am late on the draw this morning...my goodnes...

I got my baking done yesterday and so when I do my cookie exchange on Dec 7th I will have 12 dozen of baking...I made almond florentine and it turned out sooooooo goood!

I even managed to avoid fighting with my mother!

It is report card day today....and it should be interesting to see how dd10 made out.....she already lost her friend birthday party for lying to me about a math test, not studying for it and then bombing it....I cried over the no party thing....I love celebrating my kids big!....but sometimes drastic measures have to be taken.

I am hooking up with a girlfriend this afternoon after kindergarten and we are meeting for coffee while he kids play....then they are coming over here in the eve for pizza when the guys get home...it should be a fun day! Of course I will get nothing done.

I have a to do list for hubby so we shall see if that goes well...just little things like Xmas lights, recycling, sweep out the garage....doesn't seem that unresonable does it?

Welcome Marleah....keep on coming here...it is a great place to be!

Have a good weekend all you americans and just have a little of everything....let us know how it goes!

Eliz
Old 11-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #8  

I am having a really really really bad day I just thought I would pop in and vent because it's supposed to make you feel better. I am so tired of my job and being overworked. I am tired of stress and anxiety and feeling sick to my stomach on days like this. It is not good for me or my family. I wish I could just walk away but I make 3x as much as my husband and I can't do that at any other job, at least not until I figure out what I want to do with my life and go back to school. Anyone have days like this?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:05 PM   #9  

Angry Amber hang in there!

Yes I have days like that sometimes...but mostly I love my job! I am a nurse and I work in lots of different areas to help keep it interesting...I am also lucky that I only work partime so it is kinda the best of both worlds.

I don't ever see quitting as an option unless I have something else to go into.

What do you do that is so stressful...let's brainstorm what your options are.

Keep in touch!

Eliz
Old 11-22-2002, 12:09 PM   #10  

I am like Liz I don't leave until I have something else. We have gotten used to my income and if I left (which I have told that I will die here lol) It would put us in a weird situation.

Lets see what we can come up with to help you.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #11  

Default Welcome Marleah

Hi ladies,

TGIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!! wooohooo!!

Welcome Marleah to the funny farm. Most of us here are either currently dealing with clinical depression or have dealt with it in the past. This time of year can be especially hard.. and you are right. Gaining doesn't make me jolly either

Tip, now I never bit off anyone's fingertip going for a cookie.. but there was the one time I got part of a fingernail.

Yes Leens, 3 carrots for every cookie.. make sure they are BIG carrots too. One the 3FC main page, they have a large list of Holiday Eating tips.. good place to gather ammunition BEFORE those blasted meals come around.

Lizzy, I wanna know how you avoid fighting with your mother. I don't fight with mine, but boy oh boy.. can she push my buttons!! I suppose parents are best at pushing them, since they had a hand in the installation of a lot of them.. so they know where they are

Kem, hope you don't have to sleep on the floor! My idea of camping is staying at Best Western instead of the Marriott.

Hi April

Amber, glad you posted. I am very familiar with having to stay with a job I don't like just because of the money. As the only breadwinner in my house ( Kittycat won't work), if I don't work.. there is NO money coming in. My current situation has been far less than desirable for nearly 18 months now, but with the ecomony as it is you have to grin and bear it. I try and look at the positive aspects of the job... some co-workers I like, learning new things that will benefit me in my next job, the fact that I HAVE income where a lot of people don't. I don't dwell on the fact that I have no health benefits, no vacation or sick time and can be let go at a moments notice. Those things do crop up and bug me from time to time, but my life is a lot less miserable if I stay away from thinking about them very often. Try changing your perspective a bit.. worked for me... and I keep a bottle of Maalox at my desk!

Weekend will be chores, church, cooking, cuddling and playing with kitty, napping, watching movies, maybe a bit of shopping. I want to leave now.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

STRESS ?? WHATS THAT I think If I didn't have stress I'd fall apart since my body know's nothing else.

Hang in there all you stressed out ninnies. And let me tell you there's nothing wrong with having your eyes twitch, especially when someone cute walks in the room haaaaaaaaaaa Yes my eye twitches. My stomach gets gasy pfffffffffft ! and I'm getting alot of grey hairs...... !

Singing a peppy tune in your head really helps, its the truth. Makes the day alot more pleasant.

Anyhow think happy thoughts, just go with the flow, you can only do so much, put your pens down at 5:00 and leave the corporate world behind you along with a good pffffffffffffft.

Love, Leenie
Old 11-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #13  

Wow, looks like I'm in the right place all right... BTW, I've been here before but couldn't register because of my free email addresses. But now they are letting the riff-raff in, LOL.

Liz, I also have one in kindergarten and a dd9 (9 yr old daughter, right? and also a dd2) and by golly if this is a portent of things to come I am not at all looking forward to the teenage years. We had a big tea party planned last spring and had to cancel because of behavior problems. It was going to be an American Girl doll party and we had the sweetest stuff planned, even tiny little croissants and jam. I think I was more disappointed than she. And don't get me started on the book report problems we've had already this year, 'cause it'll end up with chocolate wrappers and tears all over again.

April and Leens, you are absolutely right, no gain -- let's maintain. That's all. Get through it all without driving ourselves nuts.

Tippy I am trying to figure out how to paint my living room/dining room. The previous owners installed carpet the color of raspberry sherbet just before they left. Kind of them, eh? It's very pretty but hard to decorate around. Pink walls and a flower border, not my style. But any color looks weird with the carpet. I got a peachy paint to try but it looks waaaay too poofy. Now I have half a wall painted and some wallpaper hanging in strips here and there. I hate figuring out colors and decorating. Nice when it's done but until then...

This weekend is the Ohio State University - Michigan football game. Always the biggest game of the year and this year everyone is going wild because OSU is unbeaten and #2 in the rankings and there's the smell of "National Championship Bowl Game" in the air. Win or lose tomorrow, there will be drunken rioting in the streets. whoopee.

Camping? Oh yeah, that's what I send the rest of them out to do when I want a weekend to myself (and the baby), LOL. We too have a highly competitive neighborhood. Last year we made a big US flag out of lights for the garage. Got lazy and left it up all year, LOL, why not?

I stay at home now but have such "fond" memories of work. I remember that awful feeling in my gut. I was so stupid to put up with some of that @#%! (Now I put up with different @#%! but for love.) You give so much to that stupid company/boss and for what. I hope everything works out OK for everyone in their jobs. The company my husband worked for folded last summer but he got another job pretty soon. Half the pay but if the company does well things will improve, right? So stick in there, maybe you can ease off a tiny bit here and there to distance yourself so you aren't drowning, I hope.

I am 'borderline' bipolar and was taking Lithium until 6 yrs ago when we wanted to get pregnant again. Been off the meds since then -- not always pretty but getting by. Now it is a rough patch because on top of the usual holiday pressures my husband recently told me that although he still loves me and thinks I'm beautiful, my weight is a problem for him and sex is out of the question. He "feels really bad about it" and says it's his problem not mine, but it is very uncomfortable here lately. He's not a real emotional, demonstrative or affectionate guy to begin with and for a while he wouldn't even meet my eyes, so my self-esteem is just endless right now, ya know? So the same old tape is running through my head (you probably know it, everyone sing along!): stupid, pig, idiot, weak, failure, loser, hopeless, why bother, etc etc. And I just finished 10 weeks of a 3x wk exercise class that I REALLY tried to push myself at and didn't lose a single pound or inch or anything (and please don't give me the old "muscle is heavier than fat" line). Feeling old and crappy but trying hard to get by without eating my way deeper into this hole or strangling him. By the way, I am 45 lbs over the guidelines so it's not like I'm unable to get through the door or belong on Oprah! Anyhow that's why I'm here. Not something I'm real comfortable with sharing with friends and family, ya know? But really need to talk about it! I had a weight loss chat going for about a year but it always relied upon me to get everyone going; thought a message board would be a little less pressure.

Sorry to blather on and on. Better go get some laundry done! Thanks!

Last edited by marleah; 11-22-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Life and all that jazz!

I' m here I'm here I'm here - my life is crazy! and I'm trying not to go crazy with it.

On November 9, my hubby was attacked by a huge round bail of hay. You know the ones that are bigger then a car. He was traveling one direction on the highway, and a big hay truck was traveling the other direction and just as they met up, a bail of hay fell from the very top onto the very front of Ed's truck. It totalled out the truck. I have been told these bails of hay weigh between 1000 to 2000 lbs and now I believe it.

His injuries were not near what they should have been, but all the glass got him good on his left arm, left side and left leg. He is left handed. We ended up in the emergency room fully expecting him to have to have surgery on his left arm, but nothing was broken or severed so it was not near as bad as it looked. They dug out the big pieces of glass and said the rest would have to work its way out over the next few weeks. He is healing up nicely and hardly missed a day of duck hunting! He just had our boys doing the driving and the boat launching and all that jazz. Where there is a will there is a way.

He owns a lawn service and was on his way back from work when all this happened and even tho his trailer rig was not damaged, the 2 commercial mowers were and they are being fixed. We are looking for a good used truck for him now.

We all know that if the bail of hay had landed on the windshield rather then the very front of the truck my dear hubby would not have survived the accident. We know that the Lord was with him and protecting him and we are so blessed that it was no worse then it was!!!!!!!!

Now we are dealing with all the fun stuff that comes after an accident. But no big deal.

In the meantime, my oldest son, who has a chemical imbalance was put on a new med for what we thought was an adrenaline problem, and it apparently made his already low blood pressure dangerously low and he could not get up out of the bed for 2 days, until I took him off the med.

This is the reader's digest condensed version but I just wanted to give yall a quick rundown of my life in the Twilight Zone!

It has been nice to run in here and read yall's posts and see what all everybody is doing. I just haven't taken the time to post cause nobody will leave me alone long enough to get anything done! ;-)

I hope to be off next week, and will only be working Wednesday morning to do payroll. I think I really need a little break and hopefully I can get a few things done.

Everybody be good, take care and hug somebody!

hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 11-22-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:05 PM   #15  

Wow Cathy I am glad to hear that your hubby is ok. You sound like you need a few good days off. I will keep you in my prayers.
Closed Thread