Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Exclamation It's sitting on my counter.....

It's a 9x13 pan of chocolate frosted chocolate cake.

Hmmmm. I don't hear it calling my name. But, I certainly know it's there. My son brought it home last night. His girlfriend made it for him. I know I can ask him to keep it in his room or put it in the fridge in the garage. No problem there.

I just wonder if I can let it sit there and not be tempted.....? I am thinking I have a handle on things. I don't find it tempting now, but what about later tonight?

I don't know. I'd kind of like to find out if I can handle it. It would be so nice to know that I could be around a yummy cake and not sucuumb. Especially with the holidays right around the corner.

What to do? What to do? What would you do?
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'd put it away...out of sight. Sometimes, I handle tempatation much better than other times. Why chance it?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

It depends on your resolve. Only you know yourself...
I usually do better with out of sight out of mind but since moving back home I have had to get used to having the temptations sitting on the counter and in the fridge and freezer... it can definately feel like a test sometimes, but that can be good. When I overcome a strong STRONG stong craving for something (even if that means walking out of the kitchen for the rest of the night) I always feel better about it when I weigh-in in the morning. Even if I don't lose I know that I did everything I could.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I guess I want to see if I can do it. I mean, my long term goal is to break the hold that food has over me. That means getting used to the idea that there will be foods that I see and can still choose to not eat.

I just don't know.....I value input, that's for sure!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #5  
Kae

You are right... there is ALWAYS a choice. You are stronger than you think. You CAN do this!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

It won't really matter if it is on the counter in front of you or in the fridge or in the house, cause its going to call your name regardless. But by putting it away, if you WANT some you have to actually GO to the fridge, open the door, take it out, put it on the counter, get a plate, get a knife, cut a piece, rewrap the cake, open the fridge, put it back in, and eat the cake. More effort, meaning more time to come to your senses, so to speak and make a more reasoned decision.

This new lifestyle change that you're implementing can be as challenging as you like. SO if having the cake on the counter and not having any will mean a certain type of victory for you, leave it there. BUT if it is a distraction for you and is disrupting your day, you might want to put it in the fridge in the garage. No harm in doing this and letting your DS know where it is. I mean, sometimes this journey isn't about RESISTANCE but learning how to deal with food challenges in the easiest, most pleasant way. If putting these foods out of sight means that you can put it out of your mind, having these foods around but out of sight won't be an issue in the long run.

I personally would move it into the fridge because the icing probably has butter and should be in the fridge in any event and because I don't like looking at foods like these. For me, it just takes a moment of "desire" and with the food RIGHT there it is easy to have "just a taste". I USED to do things like keep open bags of chips and chocolate around to "test my strength" but I generally found this counterproductive -- either I obsessed about the food and it disrupted my day OR I had "just a taste" which wouldn't have happened if I had stored the food properly.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 09-04-2009 at 01:47 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Two months ago, I had to get cake out of my house immediately. A few days ago, I kept a chocolate cake out on the counter for three days and didn't even look at it.

Know yourself. If you are concerned, put it away or get rid of it.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I have not read the other replies: but get it OUT of there! NOW!

Look at it this way: What would you tell your alcoholic friend to do with the bottle of whiskey on the counter?

Good grief. You aren't a "better person" for leaving it there and "resisting"--nor are you "worse" for leaving it there. It is just foolish.

Ask me how I know.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post
I I mean, my long term goal is to break the hold that food has over me.

Is that possible? For me, I kind of feel like a recovering alcoholic who will always be tempted. Sugary starchy foods are my addiction. I'm especially vulnerable in the comfort of my own home when no one is watching. One bite and I'm gone, gone, gone.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #10  
back on track

S/C/G: 184/ticker/130(?)

Height: 5'8"

Try thinking of it it as your son's cake. It belongs to him so you shouldn't have any, at least without asking. This trick often works for me, if the food belongs to someone else, because then i feel guilty for taking some.
mandi<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You have some willpower I'd have begged your son to hide it or get it out of the house! lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

TESTING myself ... well I used to TEST myself until I'd go and eat the whole thing... and FAIL my test.

If you honestly honestly think that you can leave it there, not touch it and NOT have it bother you than go ahead.

Honey... I've lost over 140 pounds and there is NO FREAKING WAY I'd have that in my house. Just saying
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #13  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

There are some good suggestions ahead of me and they are right you need to do what is right for you. I know from my own experiences that I am stronger in the morning and I have thrown things out when I am feeling strong so I don't have to battle it so much when I am not strong.

Here's some for whatever you decide.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #14  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

What I'd do is get it out of your sight AND smell. The smell of a cake just drives me to want to eat it, bad! Also, dont have any at all. For me, If I have a bite, I end up eating more. Dont eat any of it at all and get it out of your sight asap. You are strong enough to resist it, really, you are! Just reach down inside of yourself and ask, if it would tast better than losing weight? You can do it!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #15  
Kae

There was something I read once that said we should visualize who we want to be and play the part. Who do you want to be? Now, take that vision and play the part until it becomes you. When you face a situation ask yourself, what would that person I want to be do in this situation? Then act accordingly.