Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Default The Best Sugar Substitute?

Hello ladies (and men too!),

Do any of you have suggestions for what is the best sugar substitute? I have used Splenda for years, but i'm sure there is something better out there. After reading about Splenda online, it seems alot less appealing. Have any of you tried "Truvia"?

Any other ideas?
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Its all about personal preference to me.

My husband can't use aspartame because it gives him horrible headaches.

We don't like truvia or any stevia product because we find it gives our food a horrid after taste.

So we use splenda.

You can usually get free samples, or at least buy a very small amount so that you can try out the Truvia you may like it.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #3  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile I use Stevia.

Stevia is one of the ingredients in Truvia, but I prefer Stevia in the Raw. Stevia also comes in a liquid format. It is a plant that is way sweeter than sugar, no calories. I love it because it is natural. I use it with my decaf green tea, and I make lemonade with it and use it anywhere I would use sugar. I think you would like it. It is sold at Health Food stores and maybe local grocery stores if they are health conscious. I tried Truvia once, but didn't really like it, it was a little bitter for me.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I think Splenda is the best, over anything! I get headaches too from aspartame. Sweet and Low is the absolute worst.
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies for the advice!

I think I am just gonna have to find a place around here that sells Stevia and try that. I might just end up sticking with the Splenda if I can't find it.

Thanks again Ladies!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #6  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Default online shopping

If you can't find stevia in your area, you could purchase it online. I used to use Splenda, but my doc warned me against artificial sweeteners.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #7  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Stevia's great for beverages, but I use Splenda for everything else due to the fact it's easy conversion from sugar.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 09-01-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

I swear by Splenda!
maintain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #9  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebsme View Post
Its all about personal preference to me...We don't like truvia or any stevia product because we find it gives our food a horrid after taste...
I completely agree with Cebsme. It's personal preference. I've used all - equal, splenda & stevia - over the course of my life.

Years of using artificial sweeteners in coffee I think my taste buds are screwed up to some extent. Not to mention, having a real bad sweet tooth does not help. We (hubby and I) decided to cut out all artificial sweeteners from our life. We used to use splenda in coffee. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy for me. I've switched back to raw sugar for the past several months & it's been a heck of a difficult time switching to it for coffee. 1 tsp of sugar does not cut it for me at all. I've been looking for sugar substitute (that I like) that is natural and well, low calorie.

Then, a friend recommended stevia and I tried it. Totally did not like it. We had the same reaction as Cebsme. Really bad aftertaste (almost bitter). So, went back on sugar and I forced myself to stick to 2 tsp (16-20 oz cup). My morning coffee does not taste the same as it did with splenda.

Then, a friend suggested Sun Crystals - stevia and pure sugar mix - with only 5 calorie per packet. I recently found it in my grocery store. I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. I usually give new things I try couple days to finally make my decision, yay or nay. I can still taste some aftertaste but it's not as bad as stevia alone. You might want to try Sun Crystals too if it's available.

Last edited by pintobean; 09-02-2009 at 10:20 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Ugh, the aftertaste of Sweet and Low is just vile! So gross
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #11  

I guess i'm just weird lol... I've never noticed an aftertaste with Sweet N Low, but I definitely like Splenda more. I really can't tell a difference between real sugar and Splenda.

I think I am gonna try the Sun Crystals too, am also gonna buy a small amount of Truvia just to try, assuming they don't have Stevia... I am heading to the grocery in just a few moments, glad I checked this thread first. ;-)

Thanks again for all the advice ladies!

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #12  
Workin' It

I read somewhere on here that Truvia has MSG in it? I get the Sweet Leaf Stevia, never have trouble with it. Splenda makes me sick to my stomach and gives me headaches...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

i'm still fine with splenda. I think i'd rather not know what's *really* in it... ignorance is bliss!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8

I just got a box of Stevia "in the raw" and I really was happy with it- I had it in a cup of herbal tea, and I really didn't notice an aftertaste like with the artificial sweeteners- I've tried regular Stevia about two years ago and wasn't thrilled with it because I did notice the aftertaste, but this new "in the raw" one is great!
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #15  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I like agave nectar in my tea and some recipes.

Unfiltered honey actually has good nutrients in it and I'm able to get it from a local producer so if there's anything to the idea that pollen allergies can be reduced from local honey, I'm getting that benefit, too. My current favorite breakfast is yogurt cheese sweetened with honey and cinnamon and topped with granola, which has four things that make it to many top healthiest foods lists: yogurt, honey, cinnamon, and oats.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote