General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone else concerned about the swine flu vaccine?

A new strain of the swine flu is supposed to hit the U.S. late Sept or October. The government threw money at a couple of pharmaceutical companies to fast track a vaccine for swine flu (which amounts to not much research as to the side effects/effectiveness of it). In fact, according to the FDA it will only be tested one to three weeks in a small group of children & adults before release to the general population this fall.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Advisor.../UCM172424.pdf

Check "Safety Monitoring" on pg. 7 of that doc. Then in the same doc there is this:

Quote:
"The following considerations for clinical studies are based on the premise that clinical trials can be completed in time to inform policy decisions regarding widespread use of novel influenza A (H1N1) virus vaccines. However, because surveillance and epidemiologic data may indicate that vaccination should be initiated before data from such clinical trials are available we recognize that the regulatory approach needs to be flexible and that policy decisions regarding vaccine formulation and use may have to be based on results from incomplete or smaller clinical studies or even in the absence of clinical data with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus vaccine.
The last swine flu vaccine injected in the masses (1970's) had neurological side effects - the Guillain-Barré Syndrome. There were 500 cases of GBS—25 of which resulted in death from severe pulmonary complications. It looks like the CDC is preparing for reports of GBS as related to the vaccine: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-acw083109.php

According to this site http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-dis...swine-flu.aspx :

Quote:
"The Secretary of Health and Human Services announced on July 9, 2009 that school children, pregnant women and health workers will be the first to be given swine flu vaccines in the fall. Plans are being made by the government to give children swine flu vaccine in schools. Currently, government officials maintain that the swine flu vaccination program will be voluntary."
Now, what all this looks like to me, is that they don't really know if it is safe, but are going to use the above as "guinea pigs". Will this be like one of those drugs where a year or two (or more) down the road, the FDA says, oopsie.. that wasn't safe. Sorry about that. And in the meantime, lots of people (and children no less) have gotten serious complications? Furthermore, now that the U.S. has declared (as of April this year) a public health emergency, the pharmaceutical companies and anyone administering the vaccine cannot be held responsible for the complications resulting from the vaccine. I have also read in a few places that there are nurses & doctors.. and even some of the vaccine creators that will be refusing to take the vaccine. Wonder why? I am thinking I can guess why.

Right now, it appears to be voluntary. But then there is this - Massachusetts passed the "Massachusetts Pandemic Act of 2009". Read it here if you want to take a look:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/sena...02/st02028.htm

Part of it says this:

Quote:
(b) Furthermore, when the commissioner or a local public health authority within its jurisdiction determines that either or both of the following measures are necessary to prevent a serious danger to the public health the commissioner or local public health authority may exercise the following authority:

(1) to vaccinate or provide precautionary prophylaxis to individuals as protection against communicable disease and to prevent the spread of communicable or possibly communicable disease, provided that any vaccine to be administered must not be such as is reasonably likely to lead to serious harm to the affected individual; and
(2) to treat individuals exposed to or infected with disease, provided that treatment must not be such as is reasonably likely to lead to serious harm to the affected individual.
An individual who is unable or unwilling to submit to vaccination or treatment shall not be required to submit to such procedures but may be isolated or quarantined pursuant to section 96 of chapter 111 if his or her refusal poses a serious danger to public health or results in uncertainty whether he or she has been exposed to or is infected with a disease or condition that poses a serious danger to public health, as determined by the commissioner, or a local public health authority operating within its jurisdiction.
So.. let's say I live in Mass. and a person a block or two down the street gets this swine flu and the commissioner wants to vaccinate within a certain number of blocks. If I don't comply, it's quarantine for me. Even if there is no evidence that I have been exposed. And who is to say other states will not follow suit with similar laws? With the current state of things in Washington, who's to say the federal government won't soon declare this mandatory for certain at-risk groups (that includes children)? I understand wanting to control an outbreak. But honestly, this vaccine sounds like a crap shoot with my health (and more importantly with my children's health) right now.

Opinions? Thoughts? I'm interested in thoughtful responses in any direction here - not looking to start any heated disagreements.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #2  

I am a nurse and we have been having quite a few meetings recently regarding the vaccine and taking care of patients with h1n1....lets just say, its going to be an interesting flu season.There are a lot of questions with not as many answers. I will just say to all who are reading this...but lots of hand sanitizer, carry it with you to public places...and wash wash wash wash your hands.This will prevent most of the spread.As far as the vaccine..time will tell.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i don't know enough to make an educated decision but will say that i am reluctant to get an injection of anything that hasn't been fully tested. I seem to remember reading an article talking about how the swine flu shot of the 70s killed more people then the actual swine flu.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #4  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

The H1N1 virus that's just been through here was more harmless than the regular flu. They made a big deal about it to begin with, but in the end they weren't even testing people. I'm pretty sure that's the one that's headed your way.

I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. I'd wash my hands lots and take my chances with the virus. The people I know who've had it were sick, but the mortality rate has been less than for the regular flu.

Having said that, it has some bizarre effects on pregnant women. I work in NICU, and we had a lot of babies who were sectioned early from women who ended up ventilated in ICU with H1N1 influenza. Don't know why. It doesn't transfer to the babies, we just got them out as the parasitic effect on mum's body was making her worse.

When I say a few, I mean probably 20 in the past couple of months. In a 75 bed NICU. I don't recall ever looking after a pregnant woman ventilated with influenza type A. So if I were pregnant I'd be staying well away from crowds.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #5  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I'm very concerned. We do regular vaccinations for our children, though on an altered schedule (spaced out more, more single shots). We've never had the seasonal flu shot, nor have we ever had the flu. We will not be getting the H1N1 shot either. My boys, who start school next week, will be taking hand sanitizer with them to keep in their bags, will be told to wash their hands very frequently, and we'll be boosting our immune systems naturally.

Many in the health professions are refusing to get the vax. If they are concerned, shouldn't we be? If you are on Facebook there's a group, Refusing the H1N1 vaccine, that shares great information on the topic.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I was told at a recent hospital board meeting that the LAST people on the priority list for the flu vaccine are elderly people...wow. Just wow. I can only imagine how many of our residents we'll lose if there's a bad flu outbreak in our town....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #7  

I have never gotten a flu shot but I am this year, I think it will be a really bad flu season. I especially worry about people that have additional health issues.
slimmercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

I'll get a regular flu shot, but I WILL NOT get the H1N1. I've seen the articles and I'm not willing to chance it.

MindiV - If I remember correctly, they are recommending not giving the H1N1 to people over a certain age because they've already been exposed to the virus from previous outbreaks like the 1970s and for some reason I think there was one in the '50s. That doesn't mean they aren't recommending the "regular" flu shot for the elderly.

IMO, the H1N1 was so over-hyped last year, it wasn't even funny. In TX (and esp. in Houston) they planned to shut down schools for 2 weeks to a month and then let kids back in a week. Craziness.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I won't be getting it for the mere fact that it hasn't been sufficiently tested.

However, I also went to Mexico at the height of the swine flu scare, so wasn't that concerned to begin with. Margaritas and the beach were a bigger draw that staying inside worrying about getting sick.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #10  
It is what it is...

Everything I have read ( and even just this morning on cnn ) says that the media has blown this WAY out of porportion ...it is not any worse than the reg flu that goes around...they say this season that 30-90k could die from this flu but they fail to tell you that 30-40k die each year with the regular flu....I agree with everyone else, keep your hands washed, dont touch your face...It'll blow over ...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

One of the differences between a "regular flu" and the swine flu is that swine is actively contageous for a full 7 days. Regular flu, only 24 hours after fever. That means, in a school setting, that many more children will be getting sick. Last spring, my town's middle school had 40% out with either swine of or infuenza A (regular flu). They closed the school mid week to sanitize and then reopened the following monday.

The concern I have heard mentioned is that this spring we were hit extremely hard with swine and other flus. That is low season for these viruses. The scare is for the high season... how many more people than the already very large numbers.

All of my 4 boys had high fevers for 5 days. Of course, not at the same time. It was awful. I work in health care. We will all get vaccinated.

Last edited by kittycat40; 09-02-2009 at 11:15 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #12  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm View Post
The H1N1 virus that's just been through here was more harmless than the regular flu. They made a big deal about it to begin with, but in the end they weren't even testing people. I'm pretty sure that's the one that's headed your way.

I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. I'd wash my hands lots and take my chances with the virus. The people I know who've had it were sick, but the mortality rate has been less than for the regular flu.

Having said that, it has some bizarre effects on pregnant women. I work in NICU, and we had a lot of babies who were sectioned early from women who ended up ventilated in ICU with H1N1 influenza. Don't know why. It doesn't transfer to the babies, we just got them out as the parasitic effect on mum's body was making her worse.

When I say a few, I mean probably 20 in the past couple of months. In a 75 bed NICU. I don't recall ever looking after a pregnant woman ventilated with influenza type A. So if I were pregnant I'd be staying well away from crowds.
Good info to know, Primm! The H1N1 that is supposed to be coming here .. I think is a mutated form that recently started in Mexico? I may be wrong there.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #13  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I'm very concerned. We do regular vaccinations for our children, though on an altered schedule (spaced out more, more single shots). We've never had the seasonal flu shot, nor have we ever had the flu. We will not be getting the H1N1 shot either. My boys, who start school next week, will be taking hand sanitizer with them to keep in their bags, will be told to wash their hands very frequently, and we'll be boosting our immune systems naturally.

Many in the health professions are refusing to get the vax. If they are concerned, shouldn't we be? If you are on Facebook there's a group, Refusing the H1N1 vaccine, that shares great information on the topic.
We are doing an altered schedule, too. Is there one in particular that you are following? We don't get the flu shot, either. I think part of the problem with flu vaccines (for us anyway) is they don't necessarily work for whatever flu is going around.. and it's the flu - in someone healthy to begin with that's not a big threat, and if we catch the flu then natural immunity to that flu will follow. We are going to do the hand sanitizer thing as well whenever we go to public places and I am looking into boosting natural immunity, too. I found this site last night:

http://www.tbyil.com/Flu.htm

But man there are a lot of different things there. What are you doing to boost natural immunity?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #14  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen View Post

MindiV - If I remember correctly, they are recommending not giving the H1N1 to people over a certain age because they've already been exposed to the virus from previous outbreaks like the 1970s and for some reason I think there was one in the '50s. That doesn't mean they aren't recommending the "regular" flu shot for the elderly.
Yes, that is what I have read, too. Anyone born prior to 1957 they are saying likely has at least some natural immunity.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Start now breaking the habit of touching your face or eyes ever (except right after washing your hands at home). That's a biggie, because you can't sanitize your hands a 1000 times a day.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote