Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #1  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Default September and Autumn is coming Thread

OK, August is over and last month I kept posting to July for a week! Here is a question I had in regards to some of the last posts in the Dog Day of August Thread. I'm curious what others are doing for themselves, so here is the question:

What non-food (or good food?) things can we do to nourish our inner self, our soul, our oh-so-deserving inner child that needs to be comforted and loved?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/147/120

Height: 5'2

hmm thst something 2 think abt ... i cant think deep rite now but on the top of my head ...

number 1 on my list.. which im trying 2 be conscious of is to "STOP PUTTING MY SELF DOWN" in front of ppl. I mean all those jokes i crack abt my weight, love handles, sloppiness .. lack of discipline .. - they are not funny im just putting myself down! so no more of that. n a big YES to treatng myself regularly- biweekly mani-pedis(all those kfc n DQ sundae $$ have 2 be channelized somewhere!), warm oil massages.. n weekend hikes with my family (instead of the couch potato routine)
Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #3  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

i'm curious about this, too, especially because i'm really struggling with some food demons today. i ate my cheese and melba for breakfast and had veggies with MRC ranch dip and an apple for lunch, so my eating has been good today, but i am really fighting going up to the break room for some popcorn or a handful of M&Ms or something. funny thing is, i can't really figure out why i feel this way? i'm a little bit stressed about work, but no more than usual... i don't know what to think. this monkey on my back came outta nowhere
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/197/160

Height: 5'10"

I was horrible last weekend as well. I haven't had cravings and hadn't been feeling particularly deprived or even tempted. But this weekend I made cupcakes for the kids and I had MORE than one. And the truth is that I don't know why. Things were a little out of sort but nothing huge.

Last edited by bodiemo; 09-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #5  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

luckily my only real goof-up so far has been some peanut butter last night, probably because it's the only tempting thing we have in the house. i just need to figure out what's causing my funk and determine a good way to get out of it!

tonight i plan to bake some melba-crusted chicken and then lose myself in a pile of work, so hopefully i won't have time to be tempted by naughty things. i just wish the temptations would go away altogether!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

There's no doubt temptations are HARD! Every day between 2pm and 3pm I used to go get a snack out of the vending maching at work - usually something chocolate. Can you guess what happens every day at that time? Yep, that craving! BUT - I haven't given in yet and I decided to get up and walk around a little when it hits. Have a conversation with co-workers, etc. It's helped. I don't think the temptations ever truly go away, but I allow myself one HNS chocolate pudding a day and I look forward to that pudding all...day...long! I feel it's my treat.

We leave for vacation at Disney on Friday morning. I know I won't be able to follow the menu exactly, but I'm going to do my very best to make very good choices. Geez...I better start praying for willpower now, ha!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

It's odd that some of you are mentioning cravings. I've been on the MRC program for 36 days now and up until yesterday, I didn't crave anything -- I think I had my head twisted on to the point where there was no room for anything other than positive thoughts. Yesterday and today, I've been lusting for mac n cheese, my all-time, favorite food. I've just got to find that place in my head again and remember not to go to the grocery store when I'm hungry!

As for how I've pampered myself, I've tricked myself. I do water aerobics 2-3 times per week and I really push myself during those 45 minutes. For that hard work, I treat myself to a nice, long soak in the whirlpool afterward. I won't get in unless I've already done some type of workout -- water, weights, bike -- so I'm actually killing two birds with one stone.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

I know the temperatures across the country have been lower than average for this time of year. I wonder if our bodies aren't responding to some primal intuition that tells us to eat more in order to fuel up for the winter. I've just been downright hungrier than usual but not craving anything in particular.

The things that nourish my soul and not my physical hunger are music, literature, and those unexpected moments of catching my kids being kind, carefree individuals.

For physical pleasures, I love to paint my nails, poof up my hair, and take a ride on the four wheeler. For guilty pleasures, I love to get in bed, pull the quilts around me and watch Law & Order, Nancy Grace, and chat on political message boards.

September and October are my favorite months. For me they herald change more than springtime and I feel renewed walking outside on crispy, cold evenings.

I had a dream today (I sleep during the day) that I stood on the scale and it said 159 lbs!! I dreamt it so now I have to make it happen.

Last edited by Dolly; 09-01-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling, syntax
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Edie. The change in the weather signals a lot for me. I used to bake from mid October to New Years. Loved to make homemade breads, quick breads and cookies. I made 12 (lost count of how many dozen, kids and I ate them as they were coming out of the oven) different kinds of cookies at Christmas last year. Put them in tins with mini cakes and that is what I gave friends. I say used to because this year is different. I am going to have to find something else that is creative, keeping my hands busy so I am not tempted. One batch of cookies I have resisted tasting but baking marathons? I would set myself up for failure!
Ok, foods would be taking one of the meal bars and cutting them up in small pieces and store in freezer or making little round bites with the pudding. Nonfood, go shopping and start trying on stuff that is just fitting so you have motivation. Did that yesterday found out I can wear a med shirt! I don't ever remember doing that! Just don't buy since you are going to lose more and that new item won't fit soon! Also cleaned out my closet recently. It was a personal satisfaction to donate 10 bags of clothes (not including the throw away stuff). And as my job situation is resolved now, it is time for me to look into volunteering. I want to give back to our community. That would feed my inner child, get me out meeting people and be a positive role model for my kids, who I am hoping will join me. And no empty calories!

Last edited by Lori123321; 09-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Checking in

I've been swamped with work and kids activities, but wanted to share some updates.

First, got a nice tip from my WI in this week. I have stalled the last couple of weeks in weight loss...only about 1.5 pounds in 2 weeks even though I've been very OP. Hubby was out of town, so no eating out! Anyway, I've pretty much been eating an apple (1/2 or whole depending on size) for lunch everyday. I slice it and microwave it with some cinnamon and Splenda as my 'dessert'. The counselor suggested I start using other fruits, as apples are one of the highest carb content fruits allowed on the plan. She showed me in the back of the cookbook that there's a list of fruits, veggies and meats with various nutrition info. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that here a few weeks ago, but it didn't 'click' with me to go look at it. So, the last 2 days I've had frozen raspberries and blueberries mixed with a vanilla pudding HNS...really good if you let it sit for a few minutes so the frozen fruit can chill the pudding. She said the apples won't make you gain weight, but especially when you're closing in on your goal and into those harder pounds to shed, switching to lower carb fruits and vegetables can help keep the weight loss from slowing down.

Several of you mentioned doctor's visits lately. I went for my annual ck up, and fortunately the doctor immediately noticed the weight loss and wanted to know what I was doing. She asked for more info from MRC to pass on to other patients. Hopefully I'll get some Metabucks out of it! I'm not doing my lab work until this Friday, but I'm very curious to see my cholesterol info. I was just barely over 200 last year.

I've decided to keep going OP until my paid 'program' weeks are up, which is 10/9 I think. Then I'll start stabilization wherever I am at that point. I was hoping to be at 140 by then, but things have slowed so much the last couple of weeks I might not make it. Oh well...I'll be thrilled to see a number starting with 14 on the scale. That wasn't really on my radar when I started...seemed impossible! This morning I weighed 152.4 at home, so the 140's are in sight. YEAH!!

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading all your posts and wish everyone a great week and ON PLAN Labor Day Weekend. We don't have anything special planned, so it should be easy for me. But I know many of you will be challenged with all kinds of temptations. Be strong!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succeed09 View Post
I've been swamped with work and kids activities, but wanted to share some updates.

First, got a nice tip from my WI in this week. I have stalled the last couple of weeks in weight loss...only about 1.5 pounds in 2 weeks even though I've been very OP. Hubby was out of town, so no eating out! Anyway, I've pretty much been eating an apple (1/2 or whole depending on size) for lunch everyday. I slice it and microwave it with some cinnamon and Splenda as my 'dessert'. The counselor suggested I start using other fruits, as apples are one of the highest carb content fruits allowed on the plan. She showed me in the back of the cookbook that there's a list of fruits, veggies and meats with various nutrition info. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that here a few weeks ago, but it didn't 'click' with me to go look at it. So, the last 2 days I've had frozen raspberries and blueberries mixed with a vanilla pudding HNS...really good if you let it sit for a few minutes so the frozen fruit can chill the pudding. She said the apples won't make you gain weight, but especially when you're closing in on your goal and into those harder pounds to shed, switching to lower carb fruits and vegetables can help keep the weight loss from slowing down.

Several of you mentioned doctor's visits lately. I went for my annual ck up, and fortunately the doctor immediately noticed the weight loss and wanted to know what I was doing. She asked for more info from MRC to pass on to other patients. Hopefully I'll get some Metabucks out of it! I'm not doing my lab work until this Friday, but I'm very curious to see my cholesterol info. I was just barely over 200 last year.

I've decided to keep going OP until my paid 'program' weeks are up, which is 10/9 I think. Then I'll start stabilization wherever I am at that point. I was hoping to be at 140 by then, but things have slowed so much the last couple of weeks I might not make it. Oh well...I'll be thrilled to see a number starting with 14 on the scale. That wasn't really on my radar when I started...seemed impossible! This morning I weighed 152.4 at home, so the 140's are in sight. YEAH!!

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading all your posts and wish everyone a great week and ON PLAN Labor Day Weekend. We don't have anything special planned, so it should be easy for me. But I know many of you will be challenged with all kinds of temptations. Be strong!
Succeed09 - It seems like you are doing GREAT on the program...congrats! Thank you so much for the tip about the apple...I too eat one a day and have stalled this week on the weight loss...I just grabbed my cookbook and looked at the compositions of food list...great tip and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by little edie View Post
I know the temperatures across the country have been lower than average for this time of year. I wonder if our bodies aren't responding to some primal intuition that tells us to eat more in order to fuel up for the winter. I've just been downright hungrier than usual but not craving anything in particular.

The things that nourish my soul and not my physical hunger are music, literature, and those unexpected moments of catching my kids being kind, carefree individuals.

For physical pleasures, I love to paint my nails, poof up my hair, and take a ride on the four wheeler. For guilty pleasures, I love to get in bed, pull the quilts around me and watch Law & Order, Nancy Grace, and chat on political message boards.

September and October are my favorite months. For me they herald change more than springtime and I feel renewed walking outside on crispy, cold evenings.

I had a dream today (I sleep during the day) that I stood on the scale and it said 159 lbs!! I dreamt it so now I have to make it happen.
Little Edie, this makes total sence! I have been struggling with my "hunger" the past weeks (other than getting sick) guess it's time to just fight the "cravings."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123321 View Post
I agree with Edie. The change in the weather signals a lot for me. I used to bake from mid October to New Years. Loved to make homemade breads, quick breads and cookies. I made 12 (lost count of how many dozen, kids and I ate them as they were coming out of the oven) different kinds of cookies at Christmas last year. Put them in tins with mini cakes and that is what I gave friends. I say used to because this year is different. I am going to have to find something else that is creative, keeping my hands busy so I am not tempted. One batch of cookies I have resisted tasting but baking marathons? I would set myself up for failure!
Ok, foods would be taking one of the meal bars and cutting them up in small pieces and store in freezer or making little round bites with the pudding. Nonfood, go shopping and start trying on stuff that is just fitting so you have motivation. Did that yesterday found out I can wear a med shirt! I don't ever remember doing that! Just don't buy since you are going to lose more and that new item won't fit soon! Also cleaned out my closet recently. It was a personal satisfaction to donate 10 bags of clothes (not including the throw away stuff). And as my job situation is resolved now, it is time for me to look into volunteering. I want to give back to our community. That would feed my inner child, get me out meeting people and be a positive role model for my kids, who I am hoping will join me. And no empty calories!
Lori, I'm in the same boat, Fall always means time to bake for me. I am going to try some of the cookie recipes in the Cook Book, that should help my cravings.

Quote:

Succeed, thanks so much for the wonderful tip! I normaly have an apple for lunch, guess I need to change things up a bit
Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow... temptation has been running rampant the past few weeks for alot of us! I was back to plan Mon. am after my weekend b-day/party down/anniversary celebrations... Mon and Tues were a little hard, I was craving carbs and sweets but I knew it is just part of the process and if I stick with the plan that too will pass... instead of giving in I just had my little choc. pudding HNS and some gelatin HNS and then mentally moved on ... I'm doing much better with this today, feeling positive about the next mo. and my committment to stay 100% OP. We do have some trips planned, going to the mountains this weekend but I'll be good, it's just family time together at my parent's place who are ultra healthy eaters so it will be a controlled atmosphere :0) Thankfully. Committed to that 10 lbs for September! Hang in there girls, it only gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123321 View Post
Lori & Edie,
I too love this time of year and I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with this crave to bake, craft and do homey stuff in the fall. There is just something about the change in the temperature as well as the earthy, soothing first smell of fall that makes my heart sing and my mind becomes alive with all the wonderful things I can do to make my home "homier" (sp. if there is such a word) and everyone around me delighted with my home-made goodies. The nuturing homemaker part of me takes over this time of year and I start my annual bake-a-thon right about now as well. Typically I start by pulling out all of my Susan Branch books and recipes, pouring through these for several hours and then I lay out my baking plans for the season. I wasn't able to do this over the last several years b/c of a very demanding academic schedule but I graduated last year, have a more relaxed job this year (finally a 40-50 hr per week job instead of 80-90+) and I'm back in action this year. I enjoy it so much I just can't skip it this year! I still plan to do some baking and crafting as always b/c it brings me such pleasure to do so and I only go nutso like this once a year basically from September through December and briefly in February during Valentines but overall this is it and I think I can do it w/o being bad and falling to temptation.

Quote:

Thanks for the apple tip... i had no idea and I've been eating them jsut about daily as they are so portable! Thanks again.

Last edited by Karen1234; 09-02-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #14  
rip

S/C/G: 282

Height: 5 11

Little Edie,

Soon you will wake up and your dream will have come true and it will be sooner than you think.

Started MRC 5/9/09
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Default Water up to 120oz and I'm still thirsty?

Okay I have increase my water hoping to speed up the numbers on the scale...and I am now more thirsty than ever...what is up with this? I have finished 124 oz today, that's clear water not counting the 24 oz with my HNS and my mouth is dry and I could drink another 50...this has happened since I increased my water from 75-80oz this week to 120oz...anyone else having this issue...
Closed Thread