Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #1  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Question Frustration with Scale

I know I am eating the way I eat for health, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to lose weight, cuz I do, I want to look good, but I also want to be a healthy BMI. I am consistantly doing what I do, can I say I wish the scale would show a little more compassion and move a little bit faster? I know the scale is a tool, and it is not as much about weight loss as FAT LOSS. I get frustrated with the dang thing and think, okay, this is NOT a diet, it is the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life, and I am okay with that, there is nothing to go back to. Basically I am eating the way I am eating for heart health. I think I am not going to weigh myself except for once a month, or once a week, or once every three months, but I keep jumping on the dang thing first thing in the morning. It kind of sets me in a good mood or a bad mood. I have given husband the battery to it and asked him to hide it, but then I begged for it back... What is the problem????? I can't believe I am this caught up with the #'s. I'm gonna stop tracking my weight, the thing is, I use a website that tracks weight and other stuff, and I post my weight daily... I know I won't binge or anything, but sometimes I find I can't enjoy my food as much as I should be cuz I'm afraid the scale won't like it. The thing is, I need a certain amount of monounsaturated fats per day, but when I look at the calorie content, well... you know. Also, I want to enjoy fat free popcorn sometimes, but the salt content, which really isn't that much, makes me think the scale won't like it because I will have water weight for a day or two after I eat the popcorn. I am watching my sodium, but doc approves this for a once a week or every two week treat.
Does anyone else have this love/hate relationship with the scale? And does anyone have tips about how to stop obsessing and just start living????
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

you are certainly not alone with the scale woes. I usually weight daily as well. It also sets the tone for my day. But most times I know how thescale will react from what I eat. EI: Have pizza? I know I'm gonna be up at least a pound the next morning. Just have to work out a little more and eat even less the next day to make up for it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

yeah, coming to peace with the scale is a tough part of the process. and the patience thing. I'm still working on both of those. I hope it helps you to know you're not alone with those things.

I guess I'd suggest thinking of the scale as a tool to help you keep track rather than a be all and end all of the weight loss. What I mean is, it's ONE WAY to help you keep track of your progress, but not the only way. And it's ONE PART (read the non scale victories NSV's) of what you're doing.

others here who have reached goal, like rockin robin, have written some fantastic posts on how much you learn about yourself, eating, nutrition, exercise, etc., so to embrace the time and experience.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I'm (at least) a daily weigher and I also get unduly depressed when the numbers go the wrong way.... although, I definitely find that I'm better with waiting it out now that I'm older.

On the other hand, my mom is a type 2 diabetic. When she first got diagnosed she had to make a major lifestyle change. She ended up losing about thirty pounds (all of her excess weight) over the course of about 2 years by adopting a new way of eating.

She was not trying to lose weight as much as trying to stay on the diabetic diet.

Now, about eight years later, she maintains her lower weight. I remember sitting with her at Thanksgiving dinner one year when she burst into tears because she couldn't eat big servings of stuffing and pie, but now, I think her diet is second nature to her-- and every once in a while if she really wants a piece of pie she just eats it.

Now, me, I have a lot more to lose, and I'm modelling myself on an uncle who lost 100 pounds and kept it off by counting calories and tracking them on fitday.

So, I think either way can work. The main thing is that we need to believe that it's possible.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #5  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Smile Thanks guys!

I am glad I'm not the only one with this trouble, thank you all.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #6  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

I weigh weekly, and just that once. Bad or good I'll take it. It really helps with the scale fixation.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Everyone is different. Some can't even have the scale out where it can be seen or even have one in their home (they weigh at work, the gym, the dr, etc.), they weigh once a week or once a month or what ever.. but they have to let the scale go or it will drive them mad.

For me, I have to weigh every single morning. It helps with keeping me accountable during the day if I know I will have to face the scale the next morning. It also puts my plan in my head first thing in the morning. I don't let it ruin my day if it's up on any given day, nor do I get excited when it is down... until it has been up or down for 3 days in a row. Then I know I need to step it up and get a better grip on myself or I have done just what I am supposed to be doing.

You have to figure out what works for you, eating healthy may be just enough.. and soon you will be walking and your pants fall down... there you go, weightloss proof without a scale
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
yeah, coming to peace with the scale is a tough part of the process. and the patience thing. I'm still working on both of those. I hope it helps you to know you're not alone with those things.

I guess I'd suggest thinking of the scale as a tool to help you keep track rather than a be all and end all of the weight loss. What I mean is, it's ONE WAY to help you keep track of your progress, but not the only way. And it's ONE PART (read the non scale victories NSV's) of what you're doing.

others here who have reached goal, like rockin robin, have written some fantastic posts on how much you learn about yourself, eating, nutrition, exercise, etc., so to embrace the time and experience.
Beautiful post and I agree. Hang in there and don't let that scale defeat you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote