Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Default TOM cravings??

Does anyone else find it WAY harder to control their urges and cravings during their TOM?? Back in my heavy weight days, I always said that I binged more during TOM, but I think in the back of my head I always scoffed at myself for making an(other) excuse. But I don't know what's been up with me the past few days... I've been pretty rock solid on myself and my determination and have been pretty good and true (and honestly had not much a prob with it!!) the past month or two... but this TOM I'm just like... CRAVING carbs and sugary stuff! I rarely cave at work and have things I shouldn't but last night I couldn't say no to myself and had a small bag of chips (the 120 cal size) and immediately ate my chocolate snack for the night. But that still wasn't enough...!! I started craving pasta like hardcore and finally I gave in and ate what I wanted (it was like a ramen bowl) and the headache I'd been having all night and even the little bit of wooziness I was feeling before that (despite eating my fruits and veggies and proteins earlier as WELL as a small carb serving...) went away immediately! I know I shouldn't have had it... but I felt way way better afterwards (that's unusual for me, I don't usually feel sick like that). Stupid TOM.

What's the deal with that, any ideas?? Do any of you have worse cravings during that time? Or is it just mental?

Last edited by starfishkitty; 08-31-2009 at 10:53 AM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Well.... I guess I have a hard time with cravings just before TOM. Last week I was horrible, couldn't control my urges to eat things I knew I shouldn't (especially the jar of peanutbutter!). Yesterday TOM showed up... my first one since having my last baby almost 4 months ago. Today I want chocolate in the worst way, but I'm trying to keep my grip and not give in.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #3  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I definitely have worse cravings during that time but its only for the first couple of days. I started this thread and said what I chose to do this time around. Read it if you wish to.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #4  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I'm on tom #2 for August. Severe PMS and cravings each time. Each one this month I gave in and binged. I've gained 8 pounds in 4 days and am miserable. I'll be good today. I'm also going to research some natural approach to PMS in general and cravings. I'm so sick of this!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Magnesium can help a lot. I don't have cravings during TOM but I do have cravings during PMS. They are not as bad since I've added a magnesium supplement, and they go away almost completely with vigorous exercise. The great thing in my experience is by not giving into the cravings, it made an incredible difference in my weight loss for that week. It was nothing unusual to lose 3-2 pounds in one big whoosh by sticking to plan and letting nature run it's course. But everyone is different and you must do what works for you.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I don't normally get that bad of cravings during TOM - however this is my first one without the Pill.. and I want to eat. Everything. Anything. And I want to eat all of it. It's not good, and I've managed to find a way to do both and staying close to my calorie range... but it's been SO hard! I started taking some fiber pills, they reallllllly help!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #7  

For some reason Midol has helped me quite a bit with cravings!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I do get cravings in my PMS-y stage and I do give in to them...sort of. Like, it's the one time of the month I'm ALLOWED to have potato chips, no guilt. Just one bag and as I said, no guilty feelings or shameful feelings allowed. This time I just had a half a bag and I'm pretty cool with the other half in the pantry (though I tried to get DH to eat them last night LOL). I also don't weigh myself right about now--I know my weight is up, due to my chips, water retention, etc. so why get all worked up about it? I'll weigh myself on day 5, and if I've gained...well, so be it. It was all MY fault and not AF's, if you know what I mean.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I have cravings... wicked ones.. the first two days of my period (which also corresponds with when I pack on all my water weight.) I... ignore them. Chew gun. Drink water. Take baths (hard to eat in the bath.) I make sure to plan a yummy snack for before bed and ride it out. I get grouchy. I do. But ... it's what I do.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #10  
Finding my wings...

Thanks ladies! It makes me feel a LOT better actually knowing that its not just my brain trying to find a reason for me to go off diet, you know? I'm usually pretty good about saying no but this month was a killer which I think was due to some B.C. things I'm doin (goin on vacation in a few months, movin my TOM around so I don't get it the first week of vacation, etc).

Lori Bell - I'm the same way. I know that at the end of my TOM I'm going to DEFINITELY lose at least one lb, sometimes two or three in one big whoosh like you said... and since I've been eating healthy, I keep it off and keep on losing (albeit at a slower rate) throughout the rest of the month til next TOM. I used to gain a bunch of water weight the week before, but now that I'm eating healthy and right I don't gain, I just don't lose at all the week before and by the end of TOM, I've lost it all plus some usually!! It's great!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Luckily I don't get crazy, horrible cravings during my TOM. Instead I just get crazy emotional! Don't even look at me cross-eyed or I'll be crying for hours!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #12  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Emotions during pms are tough for me. Last week I was so teary I even suspected it was pms even though tom wasn't due. Sure enough I started again. Ugh. I am definitely checking into magnesium. Starting today I am going to take calcium, fish oil, magnesium in addition to my vitamins. Hope this will help me!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #13  
Finding my wings...

Oh, I get pretty crazy emotional too.... but luckily I have the sweetest boyfriend in the world who has finally turned into the ONE person other than my grandmother that can handle my crazy PMS mood swings with aplomb and humor... hehe Seriously makes a difference somehow!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

I've actually researched this recently a bit. Apparently, there's very solid research that PMS brings with it higher levels of appetite - for some women (me for instance) it's a raised level of hunger for all types of food, for many it's predominantly cravings for carbs, for some it's for savory, etc.

Also - metabolism is higher as well during PMS so it's actually recommended to raise calorie intake by 5-10% (as far as I remember - please don't take my word on this...).

To reduce symptoms - Dr. Andrew Weil recommends taking a calcium supplement ... I took it and did feel that my hunger levels - which go through the roof during PMS - subsided a little.

Hope that helps?

Last edited by Naama; 09-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Naama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #15  
Finding my wings...

You know what? Now that you mention it.... I DO remember reading somewhere as well that your metabolism is higher during! Wow... okay. Makes more sense then.

I'm actually going to be starting to take calcium supplements anyways... so hey, there we go! I'll see what happens next month! Thanks everyone!