South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Sloppy and Showery Saturday and Sunday

Dark, wet and cold here this morning. I guess it's slopover from Danny. I'm still in my robe and the dogs are curled up and snoring, They know how to enjoy life!

There's "stuff" to do today including a library trip and a run over to the Farm with some things for sister Joan. Later this afternoon, there is a BBQ planned. I hope it doesn't get rained out. Actually, knowing Rob and John, they will probably have a tent if necessary.

I pulled a lot of beets from my raised bed yesterday afternoon so may make pickled beets today. I also have yet more peaches that are just about ready to be used. I just might make some freezer jam if I can find a recipe with Splenda. Yes, it's the time of year when I feel like stocking up the cellar for a long hard winter. It's my pioneer blood.

What's on your agenda today - besides coffee and chat, of course?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It's not the best looking morning here. Dark, muggy and overcast, and Jake woke up in a bad mood. Maybe a good breakfast will improve it.
If it dries up a little, we plan to work on building some raised beds for our garden next year. Since we planted a lot of viney-type things this year, they are taking over the entire garden. I'm going to have to move some of my chard plants before they get swallowed up by the pumpkins!

Ruth, I hope the sun comes out in time for the end-of-summer BBQ bash. What are you making for it? BTW, Jake said he'd love some pickled beets.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning Everyone

Hi there Ruth. My pups have been out, but have retreated for an early morning nap, as well. Reading your post I am reminded of the weekend of your fair. I really hope your BBQ doesn't get rained out.

Mornin', Cottage. A nice breakfast always helps in our neck of the woods. How many pumpkins do you have? Ours didn't do that well this year. New raised beds sounds like a perfect project. We're going to try a new plan next year and do a community garden plot. We just don't have any space here and while the west side does well, our test garden didn't do well to the east. Its mostly lawn and we ended up with bunches of slugs.

It's a bit nicer here, however, this is our coolest time of day, right before sunrise. Its very calm and peaceful when I first go out, then we get a good wind off the flat tops to the North as it warms faster down here by the river.
I'm going to pick up a case of peaches after our dog walk this morn and can them today. My family (all 3) are flying in Monday for a week, so I made a reservation this morning for them to spend 2 nights here. That means cleaning the house today so we can leave in the morning and things will be spic and span when we all come back on Thursday. Kirk went back to bed so I guess I'll work on getting the kitchen prepped for the project. It should be a really nice morning for a walk.

Have a great day everyone. I'll check back later.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm making a broccoli and cauliflower salad - really simple! I will add shredded carrot and some sunflower seed - may some raisins. I'll play it by ear. The dressing is mayo thinned with milk with some garlic powder added.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I'm with Jake. I love pickled beets! I've also roasted them. Yum! Ruth, I think you gave me the roasted beet recipe. Also, my MIL made sugar free jam with figs and SF strawberry Jell-O. Wonder if you can make peach jam like that?

Rikki, I was in my spice cabinet last night. The chili powder is a GREAT color!

Tonight a bunch of girls is going to see Sing-Along "Grease". I've been in love with John Travolta since I was in the 3rd grade and he was Vinny Barbarino on "Welcome Back Cotter". Remember that show? He was HOT before HOT was the word! Tonight, GREASE is the word! I am so excited!

I'm watching Jeff and Auston dance around the living room to the Al Green album. Better go dance.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Morning all. I'm dragging this morning. Long hard week at school. My class is great, but the one that comes to my class from across the hall for reading/spelling/phonics for 2 hours every day is a horror. There are about 4 boys and one girl who constantly talk, yell, disrupt, make goofy noises, throw things, clown around, ignore me and completely disrupt the class. No amount of praise (for the little time they DO behave), fussing etc would get them to be quiet and listen to me. I think they were under the impression I was not their "real" teacher. When kids misbehave in my room, they must fill out a behavior form in which they have to tell what they did wrong, how it affects themselves and others and what they should have done instead, they must sign it, I make a copy of it and they must return it signed by their parents or whoever they live with. None of these kids would return thier forms. Some tried to "bargain" with me and they'd behave for rewards.

I am definately not a teacher who "bribes" children into learning with treats, rewards etc.(although I do give them extra P.E. time for good behavior which they love. I tell them that if I don't have to stop class to correct anyone, then we have extra minutes left in the afternoon for fun outside.). I don't believe children should be bribed into doing what they are there to do...learn. A good education IS the reward, along with self satisfaction and pride in a job well done. I think bribing kids leads to spoiled kids who expect something extra for just doing what they are supposed to do in the first place...which leads to spoiled adults who are lazy and expect "rewards" and extras for doing their jobs. I tell my kids that if you get all your work done, then you have more time to play outside and it's the same when you grow up. You work hard during the week and if you get it all done, then you have more free time on the weekend. Work hard, play hard. I know a lot of teachers who bribe kids with candy etc and it makes me sick. Some kids walk in the first day of school wanting to know what kind of "rewards" I give out...they EXPECT it. Disgusting.

My classes are not "boring" so children should not be misbehaving due to boredom. I make powerpoints of all my lessons, have lots of fun activities to go along with them (like spelling in shaving cream) and am very "animated" while teaching. We laugh and have a lot of fun in class. I research every week to find fun computer games to go along with what we are doing in grammar etc. They also have centers which have materials that go along with oral lessons. I spend probably 2 hours researching for every 2 hours of teaching.

Think I solved the problem yesterday. I put all the "problem" children in one section of the classroom, up close to my computer. A few minutes into class that little group of 5 began chatting and ignoring me, I called them out on it. One child (ringleader type) said "you're lying", I wasn't talking!!"
That's when it got good. I stopped the class, walked over to the computer and said "ok, you may be right, let's check". Then I played back a tape of the first 15 minutes of class. (I had put on the web cam before class focused on that group that won't behave). The tape played from my computer onto the huge smartboard. And there they were on a huge screen misbehaving. You could have heard a pin drop when they realized that they had been "on camera" misbehaving. Then I said, "no, it seems I was right, you were talking and ignoring me when I told you to stop talking...here it is right here!" The kid looked like a deflated balloon. I said "first you were talking and the camera got you talking, then it got you calling your teacher a lyer. Your parents and the principal should be very interested to see this...And I also have a tape from yesterday when you were throwing paper and misbeving while I was reviewing for our test". (bluffing, I didn't have one!)
The other kids in the class started clapping.

They had no idea where the camera was and were looking all over the room.
Of course I erased it soon as the class left. But I think my little problem with those 5 kids is history. They were VERY attentive the rest of the class. 3 of them failed last year, so they HAVE to learn the material this year.

Ended up having a great rest of the day at school, my own class got extra PE and we played baseball and I had fun out with friends last night listening to a jazz band. Something tells me next week ought to be pretty good with a LOT of learning going on!

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-29-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning I'll be putting a second pot on soon as my first cup met with a very unfortunate accident. It's very wet, cool and gray here too, tropical storm leftovers I think.

Ruth - My Mom makes a marinated veggie salad with broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, cukes, & sweet onions with her own vinaigrette dressing. I always go through a couple of batches when I'm there
I'm in the same stocking up mode right now too. Ran 9 trays of zuke and 1 of eggplant yesterday and want to get a full batch of greens then another of squash & eggplant before bed.

Cottage - I've seen people trellis those viney plants to open up space. I have a hard time imagining pumpkins on a trellis though!

Debbie - We had lots of slugs this year but it was exceptionally wet in the East. The jam sounds yummy

Chelby - Wow, high school flashbacks! Have a great time tonight

Cat - wow, great idea! I bet next week will be much better.

Nothing too exciting today - dehydrator, bread baking, maybe I'll buy a flat of blueberries and get those in the freezer, house cleaning. If we are good and get chores done today we are going to rent kayaks and play tomorrow We do well with bribes.

Yesterday I started mowing the lawn. We haven't been out since before the heat wave and it was ridiculous. It's going to require two passes just to be a lawn again.

With all that grass I started my new lasagna bed for next spring. I'm going to use it for tomatoes to prevent any spread of this year's fungus diseases. That crazy bed was amazing this year. The plants are so big and loaded with fruit that they started breaking over the top of the cages, and I have the large cages! Unlike pretty much everyone around me I have a big crop of plum tomatoes from just 4 plants. Lasagna beds are definitely the way to go with heavy feeders like tomatoes. I think I will top all my beds in that style this fall, might save on all those bags of compost in the spring.

Hope your day is pleasant no matter the weather.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Cyndi, I wanna see pics of that lasagna bed when it gets going!
I have an area in my backyard that was at one time the end of the long driveway that lead to the end of my property. (we put a fence and stone "planter" across it years ago to make a courtyard area) It has tons of shell under gravel and is now a shady area from the bamboo next door..no way to dig into it. So last year I started just adding stuff to it like peat and grass clippings trying to build it up lasagna style. Think maybe by the spring I can make a nice shade garden out of it with hostas, impatients and other shade stuff.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

This is "dawn" for me, and all of you have beaten me here! I've had computer/internet connection problems for the past two weeks. They were finally solved midweek, and it took me the rest of the week to dig out and catch up with emails. (I had a spotty connection, in and out. And I couldn't receive phonecalls for TWO WEEKS -- I switched back to our local phone company.)

I'm preparing for school, so all week, and part of next, I'm doing syllabi and handouts. Nothing exciting. I love reading about your canning and freezing, but I can't imagine doing it! It's gray ands rainy here, too, but we're so happy it's not the usual 100 hot, sticky degrees we don't care.

Cat, I love your story. You may have changed those children's lives with your webcam experiment!

Last edited by Xan; 08-29-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 242/see tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! Overcast up here in Michigan, but I like cooler weather as long as it doesn't go all the way into cold. I'm ready for fall to start, it's my favorite season. My 14-month old son is a bit off today (moody) and he got sick after dinner last night (bye-bye dinner!) so I'm keeping an eye on him. And my husband had to take his mom to the emergency room last night because her sore throat shifted into a severe ear infection.

Due to start Phase II on Monday, the same day school starts. It seems like it's not that different from Phase I, aside from the slow additions of grains and fruit (and wine maybe). Is it more restrictive than Phase I in any way?

Hope you all are having a good weekend!

Femmecreole, I love your camera trick! Think it would work on undergraduates?

Deana
Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone

I have zucchini lasagna in the oven and peaches on the counter so I thought I'd check in.

Cat, very interesting story. I do hope next week goes better. The neighbor kids came over for 1/2 hour yesterday and I was exhausted. Don't know how you do it.

Chelby, have fun tonight!

Cyndi, your day sounds like mine. What brand dehydrator do you have? We're going to buy a second one.

Xan, glad to hear your computer is back up. I've missed you around here.

Deanna, I hope your son gets to feeling better. Fall is my second favorite season. Spring is my fav! Enjoy your weekend.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello everyone,

I was going to get on early and got busy starting to clean and organize the house. I think I have all of DD2's toys upstairs in her room now. The downstairs looks wonderful and clean. Now I have to tackle her room and organize and get rid of broken or junk toys and get a bag together to donate good used toys. I am having her help me get rid of her "baby" toys.

Ruth- hope your BBQ didn't get rained out.

Cottage- Hope that breakfast changed the attitude.

Cyndi- you will have to post pics of your lasagne bed

Debbie- Did you get your nice walk in?

Chelby- Did you get your dance on with Auston and Jeff?

Cat- Wonderful story- It will be interesting to see how they behave next week.

Cyndi- you will have to post pics of your lasagne bed

Xan- glad you got your internet back up its hard to get caught up if you don't keep up with your emails.

Deana- Hope your DS and MIL are both feeling better.

As for the rest of my day I am waiting for DD1 to come home from church and then I am taking her and a friend shopping for a Homecoming dress. We are hitting the clearance racks at Macy's they normally have the prom dresses at 75% off now - hope my streak of finding a dress for around $30 bucks continues
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cat, I love your "trick" to get those students to behave! That's a great idea, and Xan is right, you probably changed the coarse of their lives.

Debbie, we have two pumpkin plants we planted just to see what they would do, and so far we have 5 pumpkins. One is pretty big already. We had a raised area of yard between the drainpipe and fence that we would toss leaves, grass clippings and other yard debris in, and as an afterthought this year decided to try to grow cantalope, watermelon, pumpkin and cucumbers in there, as there was plenty of room for them to spread out. We put in zucchini, peppers, and a Fall crop of Swiss chard, too, along with 2 hanging tomato plants. Now we have "Garden Fever" big time, and are starting up two raised bed gardens for an even bigger garden next year.

We just finished building one raised bed and I got all my chard moved out of the pumpkin vine's way, but it's too humid to do anything else. The air is so thick that I could serve up slices of it! I'd take a dip in the pool, but the sky is looking pretty forboding right now. It feels pretty good just sitting under the ceiling fan out here on the sunporch with a tall glass of iced tea right now.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Sit down moment

Xan - Our phone is through our internet and sometimes it drives me crazy.

Deana - Phase II includes all the foods from Phase 1 and the added fruits and whole grains. There are a few helpful threads for making the switch:
What's Your P2 Combo?
Emergency Handbook for Phase 2
and the Phase 1.5 to Phase 2 ongoing thread.

Debbie - I have a Nasco Harvestmaster with 10 trays. If I'd realized how much I would like this I would have bought the Excalibur but I was hesitant about the money. I have lots of kitchen gadgets that collect dust so I was being cautious for once. I saw boxes of utility peaches today and am seriously tempted to try that recipe.

Pearl - Good luck bargain hunting

Cottage - I think we have your rain. Every year I insist I have enough garden space and every year I expand a little

The original lasagna bed pictures: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...gna_garden.jpg

I will have to get out there and take a picture of the crazy tomatoes It's still raining so not today. The crockpot is on and it's time to get the bread going. Good thing I like fall; weather!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #15  

Happy Saturday all!

It's extremely hot here today but that's the price we pay for beautiful weather I guess. The air quality sucks rocks because of the fires we're surrounded by.

Not too much going on today. As usual, I'll do some things around the house. Chores? Does it ever end?

The little one is hanging out with his Dad for the weekend. My daughter is hanging out with friends later. The oldest is still in New York. Hmmm....sounds like I'll have a nice, quiet evening to myself. Maybe I'll check out a movie at the local theater or enjoy a relaxing evening at home with a movie and some Cabernet Sauvignon. Hmmm....
Closed Thread