Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default The Gym

I've had a gym membership since 1999.

There have been times when I go consistently for a year and then never go again for at least another year.

I am on on year 1.5 of not going. I NEED TO GO. What a waste of money.

I KNOW that all I have to do is 20 minutes to get myself back into the swing of it all, but I just don't go. I say I will go and then next thing I know, another month has gone by and my foot has not stepped back in.

I feel like I am just so lazy I guess. I don't like classes or walking the neighborhood, I actually prefer the gym and doing the elliptical or power walking.

How do you guys get yourself going?

I am thinking I just need to bring gym clothes with me to work and force myself to go right after work, as if it is part of my day. that way, I won't go home and snack before dinner and put my comfy clothes on-- once that happens, I am not going anywhere!

My job requires business attire and often times I go out after work for social stuff but I think I am ready to just start gyming it. Happy Hour is fun, but not when your clothes are too tight and you feel crappy about yourself.
milesofsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  

I'm just doinga bit of mind dump here-- thanks for listeing.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

go before work in the morning!!! Most of us dont have commitments at 6 am, or 7 am or 5 am or whatever...then it becomes a REAL habit, and you can go home after work and do whatever you want, cuz youve already worked out for the day!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #4  
Taking care of me.

I know what you mean. I joined a gym in 2004 and went regularly for about a year. My work environment was pretty casual anyway and since I was stuck away in an office and rarely saw our students, I asked my boss if I could come dressed for the gym and he said yes. (He's a big gym fan) I didn't like changing clothes at work and this kept me from going home before heading to the gym. That turned out to be a good idea because after about a year I went home first for some reason and it was all down hill from there.

Finally in March of this year I cancelled the membership (that was the only time I had seen the inside of the gym in almost 3 years). If wasting $500 a year wasn't enough to motivate me to go, I could use the money for something else. Now I just walk by all the exercise equipment and videos I bought and watch them collect dust.

IV'E GOT TO GET BACK IN THE GAME ARHHHHHHHHHH
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Or you can give up your membership and work out from home. I hate the gym and got tired of making myself go. I felt like riding my car there was a waste of gas also.

I bought a treadmill on craigslist for $100 and it's a good one, probably cost $400+ at one point, then I bought a bowflex for $250 on craiglist, AND a few weeks ago I bought a bike, a helmet, and a few other things for like $150. Still less than what I spent in a year and I've found I'm more consistently exercising and thinking of it as part of my day now
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #6  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Find out what works for you but regardless you're going to have to do something. I walked at first and managed to lose 25lbs last year but got bored with it and gained some weight back I joined a gym and I love it they just have so many options and classes. I also go for walks when need be and whatever else helps keep me active and busy.

Once you make it a habit it gets better! Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Do a class, with a friend
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I agree with the ditching the gym membership and working out from home. I lost 85lbs in 2004 and never went to the gym. I did workout tapes. I have 4 children and a home daycare - who has time to go to the gym??
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

My trick?!?!?
I do what yourself said. The only way it works for me.
I bring a backpack with my gym stuff to work and when I leave I go straight to the gym.
There I change and after that what I am going to do? Leaving and going home??
No... so I force myself to walk in and just do it.
Work out and only go home afterwards.
It works great for me. Because I keep thinking: If I went home, I would probably be eating by now... but instead I am working out.
That thought make me feel good!!!
So, just do it. Like it was part of your work. Do NOT go home before working out.
When you start seeing results you will feel motivated!
Good luck!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #10  

You guys are awesome--- thanks so much! It's nice to know others have that same feeling that I do. It means a lot.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #11  

I havnt read all responses.But canceling membership and taking the 500 to buy a treadmill or exercise bike plus some inexpensive free weights might be beneficial.Some people like the gym environment...others do better at home.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #12  

I like the gym environement when I am smaller. I am thinking about getting an eliptical or cross trainer-- now I have to some homework on brands prices, used vs new all that good stuff. Anyone have a brand they suggest? Is there a sub-board anywhere on here about that?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Doing the gym

When I started my journey, I was eating a huge amount of cheese and crackers after work before dinner. So, I joined a gym to fill that time. It works for me.

I paid for three years in advance just to embarrass myself into going; I'm too cheap to let that pile of money go unused.

Good luck figuring out what'll work for you.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

honestly, I look at going to the gym like i look at waking up in the morning, or brushing my teeth when really tired. I don't wanna get up, but if I don't I will get fired and not have money to pay bills, I don't wanna take the time to brush my teeth when I'm tired, but I have to, or I'll get rank breath and rotten teeth, I may not want to work out in the gym, but I have to, cause it's the only way to get the body I want and the route to take to becoming healthy.

so, basically, I look at it as part of my job.

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 08-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #15  

BornToFly-- I need that kind of mentality- can you send me more thru the computer please? I will get there, I just need to start some new habits.