Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/242/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Oh my gosh... Anybody else as overwhelmed as I am?

So, I've been slooowwwlllyyy changing my eating habits, getting a few more walks in here, a workout DVD there, and I think I'm finally ready to make that push into life-style.

And then I look at that number.

105 Pounds. How did I let that happen?? I mean, I was there, I know what happened. But I have to lose 105 pounds. And it will take time, time, time.

That just looks so scary to me, and completely overwhelming. Crawling under my covers and hiding for the next year sounds like a pretty gosh darn good plan. Did/does anybody else feel that way?
BellaBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I did at first but if it helps to not look at the big picture then don't Break that 105 into smaller goals that will seem easier to attain. Like 5 or 10lbs at a time. For me that made it easier!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #3  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Smile It's a tough battle, but worth it.

Hey BellaBlonde, I know and live the "overwhelming" feeling.

I'm 284 lbs. at 5'4", so ya' , I can relate.

It's a tough road to weight loss goals, but we just have to do it for our health.

The post before me that mentioned breaking down the goals, step by step by step is REALLY good advice.

Perhaps, go week by week. Okay, this week I would like to take off 5 lbs.
Then, (hopefully) the next week comes round and you're down that 5 lbs. so this week I would like to take yet another 5 lbs. off.

It really does help to take the small baby steps in your goal thinking.

Try it and see if it helps that "overwhelming" feeling.

Best of luck to ya',
KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes I felt that way, and for many years I hid from the problem and it just got worse. I finally decided that no matter how long it took I was going to get the weight off. Once I took the time factor out of it and focused on ten pounds at a time I was successful. When a year goes by and you look back it doesn't seem nearly as long. It amazes me now that the weight came off as quickly as it did. One thing that really helped me was that the weight comes off pretty quick until you get closer to goal. I also focused on how much better I felt after just losing 10 pounds. I didn't exercise before I started losing so I saw big improvements in that area too. You have to let go of that desire to have the weight miraculously gone overnight. It takes patience and determination, but you will get there if you decide you want to. Think how happy you will be in a year if you commit to losing and accomplish your goal. You can do it!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

yep, and whenever I get that feeling I tell myself a year from now I can either be sitting there thinking about how much I accomplished in that year or wishing I had started a year earlier. Because that number isn't going to get any better on its own.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I totally relate here!

Be glad that you've already tackled the biggest hurdle: deciding to do something about it. You'll really be thanking yourself in the future.

A while back I snapped into the realization that my weight had gone way outta control, and I remember how intimidating it was to make myself do something about it. In my case I knew I had over 200 pounds to lose!

But yes, as it has already been mentioned here, break that big number down into smaller goals. Find ways to reward yourself as you go. And yes, it will take time, but remember that the excess you've gained didn't exactly happen overnight. It's helped me to be in the mind-set that everything I'm doing is to feel healthier and happier, and that losing the weight and having a nicer figure is just a bonus.

Anyway, always remember that the commitment you make to yourself will be well worth it! We all deserve to be healthy and happy.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I know how you feel, I have almost 100 lbs to lose (more if I change my goals), it seems like a lot but with time it'll be less. It took years to gain that much it's going to take years (possibly) to take it all off.

Small changes are awesome cuz they are the ones that last! You can do it
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #8  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

Yes it is and can be overwhelming. I have made myself see the "big picture" in smaller bites...set small goals. Don't think of 105...think of 10lbs or 2 weeks from now. The changes you are making are for a lifetime. You are doing the right thing...making changes slowly. It is proven that changes made like this in moderation are more likely to stick than a drastic change.

I have found so many awesome recipes here as well as tips and words of encouragement. Good luck and keep posting!
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/242/140

Gosh, you guys are amazing! And it's so inspiring to hear from people who have been there before me. Thank you!

I'm just SO used to that instant gratification feeling. Eat a cheeseburger, feel better. Then feel even worse than before. But it's still instant! It's so early in my weight loss goals that it just seems like this impossible mountain to climb.

I'm going to try really, really hard to listen to your advice about breaking it up into mini-goals.

So, without further ado, my first mini-goal... I want to be 230 by September 29th. Doable? Maybe? I hope so! I'm gonna work towards it! 12 pounds, here I go!
BellaBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Yeah, I have that much to lose too, and it's crazy overwhelming. Some day it feels like it will never happen. You're totally right about the instant gratification thing.

When my mind is rational though, I remember that I can start to lose weight now, and in a year I'll be very close to goal if not there, OR I can not do anything and probably gain weight and a year from now I'll be even fatter.

Still pretty terrifying though!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #11  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Thumbs up Sounds "doable"

You go girl!!!

Just don't beat yourself up if you mess up along the way. Just do the very best you can and try to stay focused on that goal.

YOU can do it. Have faith.

KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I've tried not to look at it that way because I know I'll get overwhelmed, all the other stuff is overwhelming enough. So I look at the number and then think, okay I can do this in little bits and concentrate on that and then the big number hasn't been so scary for me.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

It is totally overwhelming. I gained 85 pounds while I was pregnant, and I was a little overweight to begin with... UGH!
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I also broke it down into mini goals. When one goal was achieved, I crossed it off and moved on to the next. Made a little game of it in fact. I also really enjoyed the time I spent losing. It was an adventure. I found out a lot about myself. It was exciting and I made the most of it.

Another thing, the time spent LOSING the weight, is very valuable. Think of that time as a learning experience. Time used learning new and healthy eating and fitness habits that will last you a lifetime. Healthy habits that will not only help you to get the weight off, but to keep the weight off. Use that time to find a plan that suits you, tweaking it along the way. It's time used to find what works for you and what doesn't. It's when you find coping skill and techniques to get you through the tough times. Time spent finding new recipes and foods to enjoy. Time learning about nutrition. Time very well spent indeed. Because I'm telling you, had I awoken one morning slim and trim, I wouldn't have a clue how to STAY that way. I would have turned around and put the weight right back on.

You'll get to your goal. In as long as it takes. And in the end it won't matter if it takes you a year, 18 months or longer. Just you keep at it and that goal is yours for the taking.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #15  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I also have a lot of weight to lose and have frequently felt overwhelmed. But I know that hiding under the covers/ignoring the situation is why I've been living (if you can call it that) at this weight for so long. I try and not think about it as one big huge number. I understand up front that it will take at least a year to get to goal. And that's okay. I look at short term goals...like what can I lose by my birthday (in early September), what can I lose by Christmas, what can I realistically do (exercise, eating, etc.) to help me get there. I make lots of NSV goals. I know that if I stick to this, I will lose the weight in a year or so...and if I come up with excuses or just ignore the fact that I need to lose weight...I never will get to my goal weight.

I totally agree with RockinRobin...time frame is not important. If I don't lose all my excess weight in a year, that's okay...at least I know I'll be a lot closer to goal than I am today. And I also realize that the changes I'm making aren't just until I get to goal. These changes have to become habits I maintain for the rest of my life.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote