Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default does this work?

( if this is in the wrong section i apologize )

ive heard alot of mixed reviews about this diet and i dont want to try it because im afraid i will gain weight on it i will feel awful if i do i was wondering if any of you have tried this diet and even if u havent is this at least making any sense? thnx for your imput ladies i ask here because i consider this to be more of a reliable source than the other feedback i get via other websites

Day 1
Any fruit (except bananas). Cantaloupes and watermelon are lower in calories than most other fruits. Eat only soup and fruit today.

Day 2
All vegetables. Eat until you are full with fresh raw, cooked or canned veggies. Try to eat green leafy veggies and stay away from dry beans, peas or corn.
Eat veggies along with the soup.
A baked potato and dinner time with butter.
Don’t eat any fruits through today.

Day 3
Eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want. Do not have a baked potato.

Day 4
Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup.

Day 5
Beef and tomatoes: you may have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes, or as many as 6 tomatoes on this day. Eat the soup at least once today.

Day 6
Beef and veggies, eat to your heart’s content of the beef and veggies today. You can even have 2-3 steaks if you like with green leafy veggies but no baked potato. Be sure to eat the soup at least once today.

Day 7
Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and veggies, until full (and eat the soup).
You can add cooked veggies to your rice if you wish.

Drinks Allowed

* Unsweetened juices
* Tea (also herbal)
* Coffee
* Cranberry juice
* Skim milk
* Lots of water

Soup Recipe

* 1 or 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
* 3 plus large green onions
* 1 large can of beef broth (no fat)
* 1 pkg. Lipton Soup mix (chicken noodle)
* 1 bunch of celery
* 2 cans green beans
* 2 lbs. Carrots
* 2 Green Peppers

Season with salt, pepper curry, parsley, if desired, or bouillon, hot or Worcestershire sauce. Cut veggies in small to medium pieces. Cover with water. Boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook until vegetables are tender.

The soup can be eaten at any time.
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Looks bit similar to cabbage soup diet. I haven't read good reviews of that diet, though it claims that you loose 10 pounds in a week, which is mostly water weight. You gain those 10 pounds back again.
I personally will prefer a more balanced diet within my caloric needs. Ultimately, it should not be about 'dieting' but a healthier, sustainable way of eating.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Anything you lose will be either due to a very low calorie intake (lowering your metabolism so you don't lose as easily as you might) or due to water (which you'll gain back as quickly as it comes off).

It might be a better choice to look at more sustainable plans that provide more protein and an adequate amount of calories. They're not flashy, but they do work, and are sustainable long term. Because weight maintenance is (more than) half the battle, if you're doing a plan you can't do for life, you're setting yourself up for trouble when it comes time to maintain.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

It's the sort of thing I might do 40lbs from now if I had a short term goal to aim for. It's no good long term, because it's very low in calories and very dependent on red meat once you get to the meat stage.

Just looked again - nope, wouldn't even do it once, although I see its draw. They'd have to explain to me why fruit wasn't allowed some days, I don't see it.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't think this "diet" is very sustainable. If you were to stick with it initially, you'd most likely lose weight. But it's most likely not something that one could stick with for very long. Therefore you won't lose weight.

I think we're better off accepting that we need to eat a healthy, well-balanced, calorie monitored diet forever and get used to doing that as soon as possible instead of wasting time on crazy restrictive fad diets with all kinds of outrageous rules.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-22-2009 at 08:49 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Anything you lose will be either due to a very low calorie intake (lowering your metabolism so you don't lose as easily as you might) or due to water (which you'll gain back as quickly as it comes off).

It might be a better choice to look at more sustainable plans that provide more protein and an adequate amount of calories. They're not flashy, but they do work, and are sustainable long term. Because weight maintenance is (more than) half the battle, if you're doing a plan you can't do for life, you're setting yourself up for trouble when it comes time to maintain.
What I was thinking, especially the part in bold.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I think the sacrifice of doing it won't be worth the pay off because the minute you put any normal diet into your mouth you'll probably gain it all back. I can't imagine suffering on those kinds of diets anymore for such a small payoff, when I/we can eat pretty normally and good and still drop weight.

But that's just my two cents ...
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #8  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with everyone else that it isn't a diet you can use for the rest of your life. I did that diet once and the cabbage soup (ick!) diet and they only worked to drop a few pounds (mostly water) and then I was right back to having to learn how to eat in a healthy and satisfying way that I can maintain for life.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #9  

Okay, what happens on day 8?

Many years ago, I only had 15 lbs to lose. After years of 'quick fixes' I found myself with 80+lbs to lose.

These types of plans are so dangerous simply for that reason. Quick drop in weight on a plan with no way to transition off that doesn't lead back to eating the only way you know how-the way that puts weight on. Now you go back to the way you used to eat with a more sluggish metabolism---recipe for disaster.

I have also never heard-never ever- of a plan like this leading to any sustainable significant weight loss.
Never.

Your instincts are right- steer clear.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think take the basics from it and you could use it. Eat lots of fruit and veggies. Soups are very filling - just find one or several that you like. The whole idea of eating certain things certain days is odd to me, though.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci in training View Post
I think take the basics from it and you could use it. Eat lots of fruit and veggies. Soups are very filling - just find one or several that you like. The whole idea of eating certain things certain days is odd to me, though.
I think the concept comes from LIMITING yourself. If you're only eating fruits one day -then you're not eating cakes and cookies and pizza, etc. It's just another way to limit your calories and create a calorie deficit. It's a way, but IMO, not a very good way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I agree with everyone else. It seems too low calorie and not something you could do for life.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #13  

I did this diet (cabbage soup one) years ago and it worked somewhat but everytime I had to smell the soup it made me sick so of course I didn't stick to it. It's wierd the soup tastes okay but by your third bowl after day one it's enough. Just good ole well balanced eating -- that's the way to go.
Bigmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #14  
candygirl4

S/C/G: 325lbs/295lbs/250 for now

Height: 5'7''

Tried it didnt work!
candygirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I did this type of diet many times. It's a gimmick. Nothing magical about it. It's just a way to focus your attention on "getting it right and perfect" which means you are NOT thinking about candy, cookies, potato chips and lasagna on those days. If you just glommed it all together into one plan it would look like this:

You can eat as many veggies as you want, including vegetable soup. Eat fruit, brown rice, beef steaks and baked potatoes in moderation. NO breads, NO sugar, NO dairy except skim milk. NO processed foods, fast foods, junk foods, fatty stuff.

But see, that sounds kinda boring. You'd lose weight if you ate like that for a week though. It just makes it more gimmicky and magical to turn it into a "plan" that you have to focus on with special days for this and that.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote