Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/194/170

Height: 5'09''

Default Carb blockers & whey powder

Has anyone tried any of those "carb blockers" pills? There are lots of different brands out there, all basically claiming to block the bad carbs that you take in....but I wonder if they really work.

Question #2
I've also been looking at whey protein isolate powder. Stuff isn't cheap and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this as well.

J3knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #2  
nb3

S/C/G: 175/169/163(1st)

Height: 5'2"

Hi!

I know it's been a bit since you posted your question, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I haven't tried any carb blocker pill, so I can't speak for those.

However, when I was losing weight earlier this year, I contribute a big part of it to whey protein powder. I've always had a hard time with breakfast, but I know it's essential to initiate the metabolism. One of my biggest challenges was cooking in the morning. The protein powder I use completely eliminated the challenge. I put a scoop in 3 oz. of water, stir and drink! 100 cal, 18g protein and 2.5g net carb. Perfect for me. I use chocolate flavored, so I'm sure the unflavored types have even less.

They do tend to be pricey, but I think they're worth it. An approx. $17.00 12.7oz container will probably last me about 2 weeks, but in the long run - 14 meal type breakfasts would probably cost me more.

Also, if you look on amazon.com, they typically have more reasonable prices than health food/supplement/grocery stores.
nb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/194/170

Height: 5'09''

Thanks for the response nb3!

I'm going to start researching whey protein power more, this week. I've put it off for almost two months now, but happily have lost another 5 or 6 pounds since then. Though my problem is getting hungry between meals, and I'm thinking the whey protein with low carbs and calories would be a good "filler".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb3 View Post
Hi!

I know it's been a bit since you posted your question, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I haven't tried any carb blocker pill, so I can't speak for those.

However, when I was losing weight earlier this year, I contribute a big part of it to whey protein powder. I've always had a hard time with breakfast, but I know it's essential to initiate the metabolism. One of my biggest challenges was cooking in the morning. The protein powder I use completely eliminated the challenge. I put a scoop in 3 oz. of water, stir and drink! 100 cal, 18g protein and 2.5g net carb. Perfect for me. I use chocolate flavored, so I'm sure the unflavored types have even less.

They do tend to be pricey, but I think they're worth it. An approx. $17.00 12.7oz container will probably last me about 2 weeks, but in the long run - 14 meal type breakfasts would probably cost me more.

Also, if you look on amazon.com, they typically have more reasonable prices than health food/supplement/grocery stores.
J3knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #4  
nb3

S/C/G: 175/169/163(1st)

Height: 5'2"

For sure! I'm definitely less hungry when I have the morning protein shake then when I'll have eggs or an omelet or whatever.

The brand I use is Designer Whey, fyi.

Congrats on your loss so far!!
nb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/219/150

Height: 5'5"

I've used both. I never noticed anything great with the carb blockers however, I probably didn't use them the right way either. As far as whey protein, I love it! I will make myself smoothies in the morning with a scoop or two of whey protein, a serving of frozen berries (usually blueberrys), 4 ice cubes and some sugar free low carb soy milk (slender soy by west soy). These really fill me up and stay with me for a good while. Also, it's a great way to get in your protein if you get tired of meat and eggs.
Sharyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 369/298/145

Height: 5'1

I personally have tried both the capsule and powder form of carb blockers & they work for me, the 3 times i've used them has been great, I have only been kicked out of ketosis once (too many LOL) i've used them indulging in chinese food and italian. I use phase 2 Natrol, they are available at my local Walgreens but are cheaper online.
AnnaHope is offline   Reply With Quote