General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Default Help! Getting ready for Halloween

Usually, DH and I cozy up on the couch and watch Ghost Hunters live while dining on steak, sweet potatoes and wine. We also hand out candy to the few kids that venture down our lonely road. GH, though, is actually kind of boring live, so this year we're going to do an old horror movie fest.

So, any suggestions? I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" and "The Bride of Frankenstein". What are your favorite old (or new) Halloween-esque movies?

Also, what do you adults without kiddos do for Halloween?
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #2  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

Well, it's not really related to Halloween but my husband always favors Hellraiser. It's one of his favorite horror flicks... and he LOVES horror.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #3  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Im not huge into horror films. Actually they scare me and i have nightmares for weeks... But thats besides the point. I went with a few friends to see Friday the 13th this year and everyone besides me loved it.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses0204 View Post
Im not huge into horror films. Actually they scare me and i have nightmares for weeks... But thats besides the point. I went with a few friends to see Friday the 13th this year and everyone besides me loved it.
I'm actually the same way. That's why we're thinking that the old-fashioned B-Movies would be best for me. Friday the 13th was too much for me, as were Saw and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Oddly enough, though, I was fine with The Exorcist and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

TXJess: Hellraiser looks intimidating. I checked it out on IMDB and I know that my DH would probably love it, but I would probably be hiding behind a pillow for 3/4 of it. Maybe I can get it for him and he can watch it after I go to bed.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Try some of the horrorfest movies!

MY favorite horrorfest movies are Gravedancers and Wicked Little Things. Scary but not all crazy scary and gory if you aren't into that sort of thing. I love the storylines and they are B movies to let you know
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #6  
Pure American Metal

Quote:
TXJess: Hellraiser looks intimidating. I checked it out on IMDB and I know that my DH would probably love it, but I would probably be hiding behind a pillow for 3/4 of it. Maybe I can get it for him and he can watch it after I go to bed.
I actually didn't find it too terrible. The ones that scare me more are things that are more plausible like serial killers, rapists etc. I can't remember which horror flick it is, but this girl goes in to the city for a night and gets taken by these people who take her out in the woods and rape and kill her. Turns out they're not far from the girls house and these people go to the house (by chance of course!) and see the pictures of the girl and end up killing the family.

Now THAT sort of stuff creeps me out for weeks. Gory slashers don't really phase me.

PS: If anyone knows which movie I'm talking about that'd be great. Otherwise I'll have to pick my hubby's brain tonight.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

Are you talking about the last house on the left? GAH you ruined the end for me!! *cry*

Though I thought the family ends up killing the rapists?

Last edited by beerab; 08-18-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Are you talking about the last house on the left? GAH you ruined the end for me!! *cry*
I don't think that's how the 2009 version ends. She didn't ruin it for you.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Old scary movies: Psycho (The Alfred Hitchcock version), any of Vincent Price films like Pit and the Pendulum or the Dr. Phibes ones, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Fly (not really horror, but the original film was great). I also love all the Abbott and Costello Meet The... series such as the Wolfman and Frankenstein, etc.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #10  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

you know the movie theater shows this "horror fest" type thing every year....I haven't went...Its the movies that were too scary to show in theaters so they show them on Halloween....
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Here is a thought KIM ~ since you are young and can sit around and watch old movies when you get older

We didn't do it last year but our church does a TRUNK or TREAT...

People decorate their cars and pick-ups for Halloween ~ hand out candy and have games right in the parking lot of the church. Our church did it last year and it was a huge success! Angie wants to join in this year....decorate my truck...take our dogs in costume and hand out candy along with taking our bean bag toss for the kids to play around our truck.

From what I understand many churches are starting to do this...could be one in your area to join in....

just a thought...I stay away from scary movies...no one wants to hear a grown man scream
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #12  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Hubbs and I don't have kids. I love halloween but he's a grinch. I always carve a pumpkin or two- mostly for the seeds!! mmm seeds. and we stopped doing candy because we found that 1. we'd eat it all then have to go buy more, then eat it all too and 2. not many kids came around anyway. so we turn off all the lights, don't answer the door, and watch movies!
Our Halloween tradition has become Shawn of the Dead, we have watched it every year on Halloween since it came out. then we usually watch another fun one. But we really like horror movies, especially the creepy Japanese ones!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #13  

EZ, I remember at my old church we had "Harvest Festival" the weekend of Halloween. It was lots fun. I was a teenager by the time we started, but I was on the puppet team and that was a blast. We don't have anything like that here. Most of our families go to the "big city" 2.5 - 3 hours away to trick-or-treat at the mall. Isn't that sad? Our church tried to do a harvest fest a few years ago, but we only had a family or two show. It was that way with our Christmas Cantata as well, so we don't do it anymore.

Lizzie: I was the grinch when DH and I met, but he converted me. He really LOVES all the fall holidays, so we typically decorate big, as though we're going to have a huge blowout, and then sit on the couch and enjoy it! Lol! Shawn of the Dead is kind of a comedy, right? That may be something worth checking into. I'll have to check it out on imdb. The Japanese horror flicks are just tooooo much for me. Talk about creep-fest!!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #14  
Pure American Metal

My husband confirmed it is Last House on the Left. I can't remember exactly how it ends as I've tried to block it from my memory. Gives me the heebie-jeebies (Yes Webster, that is a real term!)

I wasn't even aware there was a remake out but my husband said it's suppose to be really scary. Hubby also recommended The Hills Have Eyes. Both Last House of the Left and Hills are directed by Wes Craven pre Nightmare of Elm Street.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #15  
Soul Cyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahna23 View Post
you know the movie theater shows this "horror fest" type thing every year....I haven't went...Its the movies that were too scary to show in theaters so they show them on Halloween....
Pft no- they are just B movies lol. My husband and I went the first year...

They aren't scary- I mean sure some of them have their moments that make you jump- but most of them sucked lol!

Gravedancers and Wicked Little Things are the only ones I recommend honestly.

Last edited by beerab; 08-19-2009 at 01:30 PM.