General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #1  
on a journey

Default i'm learning to crochet (any crocheters or knitters out there?)

i'm perfecting my chain making abilities. It's silly that something so small, a chain, can make me feel so calm when i'm doing it. my roommate is teaching me, perhaps tomorrow i'll try a single crochet stitch.

Can anyone else tell me about their attempts and successes at crocheting or knitting?
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I knit and crochet in spurts. I haven't done it for a while. But, it is a great hobby the is productive and keeps your hands full (thus, you aren't eating mindlessly).

Keep it up! It really is a fun hobby that you can do for a lifetime

Someone in our community put out a call for knitters. She wants to gather 500 homemade scarves to give to needy children this winter. I am going to call her tomorrow to volunteer. I'm pulling out my needles in the morning
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #3  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
I knit and crochet in spurts. I haven't done it for a while. But, it is a great hobby the is productive and keeps your hands full (thus, you aren't eating mindlessly).

Keep it up! It really is a fun hobby that you can do for a lifetime

Someone in our community put out a call for knitters. She wants to gather 500 homemade scarves to give to needy children this winter. I am going to call her tomorrow to volunteer. I'm pulling out my needles in the morning
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, good for you. i really do enjoy it and maybe you're right, it'll keep my binging under control by keeping my hands busy?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #4  
Operator265

I crocheted all the time when I was a kid. It gives you really strong wrists. Used to irritate the guys that would arm wrestle me that they couldn't pin my wrists. lol
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm a knitter!! I can do scarves and baby blankets as long as they're all in the garter (garder?) stitch! I also can't finish anything I knit by myself still - haha. I started learning back in January. I really want to be able to do my own hats by this winter but I've heard it's a LOT easier to do it through crochet instead of knit... sadly I don't know anybody who crochets to teach me!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #6  
Running With Scissors

S/C/G: 178/175/150

Height: 5'3

i crochet in the winter usually. I make hats and scarfs ect. It occupies my time and gives me warm things to wear. :-)
indiegrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #7  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I knit. I wanted to learn so I could make afghans but moved into sweaters. I didn't have a lot of luck there, only making a few things I really liked. I prefer smaller projects like baby booites and hat sets to give to pregnant friends. I occasionally make up a batch to donate to Birthright or a local hospital. I've still got some sweater yarn stashed and was thinking of trying a rectangular shawl for this fall.

Keep up the good work I learned to crochet before I knit and really enjoyed it. From knitting I went to quilting and spend most of my time at the sewing machine these days.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I knit and crochet, but like most of you all I do it mainly in the winter. I think I started out with granny squares a long time ago, and have crocheted everything from afghans to a huge pineapple doily made of thread! I must have been CRAZY to do that one. It took forever. I did it when my kids were little, during naptimes and stuff. I taught myself to knit when I was expecting my first baby so I could make him some little blankets.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I crochet, and am learning to knit. Have you been on the ravelry website? It's really interesting (but the groups are a bit addictive).

Another really cool crochet site is crochetpatterncentral.com - bunches and bunches of free patterns.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

and there are also some good how-to video's on youtube.
and just google crochet, you will get bundles of sites. That's how I am learning.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #11  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
I crocheted all the time when I was a kid. It gives you really strong wrists. Used to irritate the guys that would arm wrestle me that they couldn't pin my wrists. lol
Ok, that made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
I'm a knitter!! I can do scarves and baby blankets as long as they're all in the garter (garder?) stitch! I also can't finish anything I knit by myself still - haha. I started learning back in January. I really want to be able to do my own hats by this winter but I've heard it's a LOT easier to do it through crochet instead of knit... sadly I don't know anybody who crochets to teach me!
i'm lucky, i have someone right here to teach me. Maybe you can find someone to help you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegrlx View Post
i crochet in the winter usually. I make hats and scarfs ect. It occupies my time and gives me warm things to wear. :-)
i dunno, i promised my best friend a new bra and panty set with a matching winter hat. What do you think?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #12  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
and there are also some good how-to video's on youtube.
and just google crochet, you will get bundles of sites. That's how I am learning.
i looked for one at the library today but it was checked out. i'll do both of those things thank you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I crochet, and am learning to knit. Have you been on the ravelry website? It's really interesting (but the groups are a bit addictive).

Another really cool crochet site is crochetpatterncentral.com - bunches and bunches of free patterns.
Nooooooooooo, i'll be addicted now. *goes to check them both out*
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I took a knitting class, really fun. I've made mostly scarves, some washclothes, towels, am working on a vest sweater, put it away during the summer.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

great site for stitch help
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I crochet, but only in the fall/winter as well. I just hate having a big afghan over my lap in the heat of summer.

A friend from work got me started on single and double crochet, but I've learned some more advanced things from a crochet encyclopedia. If you find a good one, it'll give detailed illustrations of each motion and a good picture of the finished product for you to compare it to. I'd recommend one for all beginners.

Another good site for free patterns is lionbrandyarn. You have to register to get the patterns for free, but they also email you when there are sales and etc.

Good luck learning! It's a lot of fun, very relaxing and definitely keeps my hands out of the snack cupboard!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #15  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_Star060404 View Post
I crochet, but only in the fall/winter as well. I just hate having a big afghan over my lap in the heat of summer.

A friend from work got me started on single and double crochet, but I've learned some more advanced things from a crochet encyclopedia. If you find a good one, it'll give detailed illustrations of each motion and a good picture of the finished product for you to compare it to. I'd recommend one for all beginners.

Another good site for free patterns is lionbrandyarn. You have to register to get the patterns for free, but they also email you when there are sales and etc.

Good luck learning! It's a lot of fun, very relaxing and definitely keeps my hands out of the snack cupboard!
i'm usually not very talented, i'm going to need the luck.