Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/230/140

Height: 5'1"

Default Feeling Really, Really Down (off topic)

My husband's been laid off since December, and his unemployment will be running out pretty soon. I'm plugging away at a stressful job that sucks the soul out of me (yeah, I know, I'm lucky to even *have* a job). I'm around people and chaos 'WAY too much, I never have any time at all to myself unless I get up at 5:00 in the morning (and then I'm half-dead by 3:30.) I sit in my car during my lunch hour (regardless of how hot it is outside) just to get some time ALONE. I'm already dreading going back to work tomorrow, which means I'm not even allowing myself to enjoy my time off. Talk about a crappy mindset!

I worry about bills. Constantly. I worry about credit card debt. (Brakes on my car went last week, and I have a feeling there's going to be a vet bill fairly soon.) Husband flutters around helplessly, then disappears into the computer. I'm 57 years old, exhausted, discouraged, and feeling absolutely hopeless.

Weight's at 240 and hovering. (I haven't updated my avatar.) I manage to work out sometimes, but lately more and more I skip a day and just collapse into a chair feeling totally depleted. Been staying pretty much on track with eating, mostly because I haven't had much of an appetite.

Sorry for dumping, thanks for listening!
cynnymynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

just

Things'll get better..

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I wish I had some good answers for you.
Hang in there!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Oh sweetie We're hear to listen *hugs*
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Holy crap, that is a lot for one woman to manage. You have got to figure out a way to 1) take SOME time for yourself that doesn't involve sitting in a car and 2) learning to compartmentalize to some degree so you don't blow your off days stressing about work.

Have you thought about yoga or meditation? They really will help! HUGS!!!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

Agreed -- 'dumping' isn't a problem at all. What you're feeling has to be normal, and I'm sorry to hear baout your situation. Just keep plugging away at that crappy job, and maybe something better will come along for you!

Is your husband helping around the house much, or can you talk to him about how you're feeling? I suppose he's depressed, not feeling like the 'breadwinner' anymore, but it won't get better unless he's putting in resumes when he's hitting the computer every day.

Hang in there!
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How about taking a walk at lunch to get some alone time?

I'm sorry you are going through a lot and I hope your hubby finds something soon- if his unemployment runs out and you both are really hurting maybe he could take just ANY job until he finds something better? I was washing dishes for four months before I found my current job! Me! With a master's degree- spending Sunday-Thursday washing DISHES- but I did it because I HAD to.

Last edited by beerab; 08-16-2009 at 01:25 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #9  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Don't worry about dumping, this is a very stressful time for you. I hope things turn around soon; stay strong in the meanwhile!

Hugs.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

for the crappy situation
and a flower just for you

Last edited by TaraLee; 08-16-2009 at 01:33 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/230/140

Height: 5'1"

Funny you should mention yoga. I used to do it regularly, years ago. Just recently (since my knees have been so much better), I've been doing some asanas from Rodney Yee's Morning Yoga. My favorite time is in the morning, during the precious bit of time I have to myself before "it" all starts, and I feel so much better! I haven't been doing it regularly, tho'. (That sounds like good old self-sabotage rearing its ugly head! Sheesh, I have enough on my plate right now without being my own worst enemy!)

Compartmentalizing. You're right, of course. Train myself to think that my job isn't allowed to leave my cubicle. That's where it "lives". It isn't allowed to leave the building with me. Or, as my dad used to say, hang up the coveralls at the end of the day!

Re: hubby. Oh, he's doing the online search/resume bit, has had some interviews but no luck so far. He does some things around the house (meals, laundry, litterboxes), will do more if asked/told/nagged. He's a computer guy by trade. Once he'd been out of work five months, he became eligible to to take A+ and Microsoft certification classes and testing for free. (Usually costs $7,500). So he's been doing that. Some classes are online, some at the training site, and the tests themselves are all at the training site. It's a great opportunity, of course, and may pay off handsomely down the line, but we're still in a bind in the meantime.

Thanks for the support and suggestions, ladies. The only place in my life where I *do* feel alone is dealing with these problems---and that's the one place where I could really use some company!
cynnymynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

big time.

On the financial budgetting side of things, have you read Debt Proof Living by Mary Hunt? I found it really, really helpful a few years ago when I was in dire straits, and I still live by the principles now. When I was really in it, using the book made me feel I was getting a handle on it, less helpless.

Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #13  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Sorry to hear you are upset. Has your husband checked into working for a temporary agency?
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #14  

I believe things will start changing for the better in your lives soon! Hang in there!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #15  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's good he's doing something vs. sitting around watching TV all day.

I always say when God closes a door he opens a window (not trying to offend anyone here) I'm sure he'll find something soon- this is one of those times where whatever doesn't kill you definitely makes you stronger
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote