Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #1  
Ready to Be a Loser!

S/C/G: 181/177.8/160

Height: 6'0''

Default Johnsons Up Day Down Day Diet

Has anyone ever heard of this diet?

I have heard of it recently and Im starting it tomorrow, it is so easy and so many people lose weight dieting half the time. You diet every other day or 3 Days a week(Mon,Wed,Fri). You can eat whatever you want on an up day and stick to about 20%-50% calories than normal on a down day. I know that may seem low, but Im not too sure if this is true but I read that when you do very low calorie for 48 Hours In a Row that is when your body goes into starvation mode, so you are only doing a down day every other day. People lose 5 lbs the first week, I am starting my Down day tomorrow, the link of the website is:
http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.samsbiz.com/

giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

There was another thread about this recently--I think it was a featured diet in Woman's Day magazine or something. Anyway, it's nothing new--it's called "calorie cycling" or "zig-zagging" your calories. The theory is that by varying your calorie intake rather than eating the same amount every day, your body won't settle into a set pattern and get used to your diet as easily.

As for the 48-hour tidbit, that is false. It can take weeks for your body to enter "starvation mode" (I use this term only because you used it as well, but it is definitely a term that is tossed around way too often in the dieting world)--it's not like a light switch that just flips on in your body; rather, it's a gradual process that takes time.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #3  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

This sounds like a variation of intermittent fasting or the zig-zag diet. Nothing really new. IF is an offshoot of CRON (calorie restriction optimum nutrition) for those who can't handle constant low calories but want the health/longevity benefits.

I imagine success depends on not going totally crazy on your "up days" and focusing on nutrient rich foods.

ETA: Sorry for the repeat. Must have posted the same time as Jill.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #4  
Ready to Be a Loser!

S/C/G: 181/177.8/160

Height: 6'0''

thats good, so its healthy?

I am trying this tomorrow. I am doing a down day tomorrow. Wish me luck.
giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #5  
Meg

Best of luck to you! Be sure to post how it's working for you ... everyone's interested in how effective the different plans are and there's nothing like first-hand experience!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #6  
I'll think of something

Height: 5'1"

The plan sounds very similar to an old diet, called the On Off diet. On the on diet days you ate about 500 calories, on the off days, 2000. It was around when I was in high school.
marlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #7  

I did this diet for about 3 weeks (perhaps a bit longer). I lost 5 lbs. during the first 10 days (& I didn't gain it back when I stopped the diet). However, over the next week and a half to two weeks, I only lost about a pound. Also, even though the Down Days didn't seem so bad in the beginning, they became increasingly difficult. I mean, it's really difficult to eat only 500 calories a day, which is the typical number of Down Day calories. In fact, I don't think I ever could stick to it, and I eventually ended up having 600 calories (perhaps that's why my weight loss stalled).

However, I will say that doing JUDDDD helped me to realize that I could definitely eat way lower than 1500 calories, which led me to try zigzagging calories (less severely than JUDDDD), which is what I'm doing now. I like it a lot better.

I also discovered the Traineo forum (Google it). There's a JUDDDD group on that forum, and the people are really nice. There are some people who have been doing the diet for a long time. Some have consistently lost weight while others have plateaued for quite a while and had to tweak the diet.

HTH!
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/190/155

Height: 5'8"

Wink Up Day Down Day Diet

I am going to try this diet starting Monday...
kristiel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #9  

Hi
new here...just read through this thread and i will tell you I am on the up day down day diet, going on my third week and I have lost 10lbs so far. I think this diet is great and it's soooo easy for me. On down days I have learned to drink two protien shakes (100 calories each) and for dinner having an awesome white egg omelet with lots of veggies. It definantley is not for everyone, two of my friends that were doing it with me dropped out the first week.I do workout at least 3 days a week. just thought i'd share the info...thx!
TraeRae is offline   Reply With Quote