Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #1  

Default description of low carb diets please

I have just been diagnosed with Lyme disease. My Dr. said it would be best for me to be on a low carb diet. Is there a place on this form where I can read a discription of several of them. I am 53 , and have about 40 lbs. to loose. Thank-you
MarthaJeanne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

There was a thread on here a while back comparing Atkins to SB....but, the information concerning Atkins was totally incorrect.
Comparing eating plans on here seems to turn into a heated debate....when something works for someone, they are passionate about it (as I am regarding Atkins)....it tends to get extreme and before you know it, the moderators are forced to lock the thread.
If you think you might be interested in Atkins....I'd be happy to explain how & why it works....correctly
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  

Thanks Kim,
How do I communicate with you? How do I send you private messages? Should we share e-mail addresses or do it on this form?
Thank you for your generous offer.
MarthaJeanne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/219/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had results with Atkins and Protein Power Plan. Atkins is a little more strict but I think it's all a matter of what you can stick to. If you can stick to one that isn't so strict and make it more of a lifestyle change than I would do that as compared to one that may take weight off faster. These days, I do my own version of low carbing, incorporating ideas from a couple of different plans. Right now I try to stay in the 35-40g per day range. If I go a few over, I don't beat myself up over it. Find what you can easily stick to without feeling deprived.
Sharyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #5  

i love atkins, and other low carb plans. i m so into low-moderate carb plans
loveydovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you want an overview of several low-carb plans, I recommend the book
The Low-Carb Bible by Elizabeth M. Ward

It includes information on several low and moderately-low carb plans - Atkins, Carbohydrate Addicts, Neanderthin, Protein Power, Schwarzbein Principle, South Beach, Sugar Busters, Suzanne Somers, and the Zone.

I would recommend ordering it from your library or through amazon.com (used, you should be able to get it for $1 or so - with shipping under $6.00).

It's a great book, but it's not a substitute for any of the plan's books. If a plan sounds interesting, you'd really want to get the program's book. I wouldn't recommend doing Atkins, South Beach, the Zone - or any of the diets without their book.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-25-2009 at 09:20 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote