Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default huge rant! Hope I don't offend...

I frieking HATE HATE HATE fake sugar. I don't even know why I tried. I get so annoyed at THE NASTY BITTER TASTE and then it lingers on my tongue and teeth.

I even bought this "truvia" stuff. But I have a feeling the "natural flavors" is something I didn't want in the first place.

ugh, my favorite tea tastes horrible and I made a whole pitcher. I keep telling myself, I'll drink it on my low carb day, which today was not.

I started out trying out the "fake sugar" and then I ended up wanting pie. I had a gigantic piece of key lime pie. I didn't go over my calories today because I had such a big piece of pie but not much else today. The pie was not diet.

Then I made a special dinner....for which SO never even showed up. Then he's still not home and it's 12 am. I am caught between being soooo PISSED off, and being SO WORRIED. I don't know where to start. And it's no help I watched lametime movies all night about husbands and fiances cheating on thier SOs....soooo I thought, I better get some gum because I am so mad. I know I want to chomp something.

so I go to the store because I have to pick up my meds anyways, stupid pharmacy is closed....and then I go to get some gum....all crap...but I buy some anyways....and sure enough I hate it. Plus my kid whines when I want to pick up an exercise magazine that he wants a wrestling magazine...I tell him no and he pulls the "it's not fair" card and drags himself around the store in a pout cloud.

So I have nothing to chomp that won't make me gag or make my waistline bigger....and I'm fuming mad....and still trying to drink this awful tasting tea. So I came here to rant and rave. I feel better now, but now I got to post this.

take it with a grain of salt because I JUST WANT to get it off my chest!!!!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Some people really sense the taste more than others. There's no reason ANY sweetener has to be part of your life if you don't want it to be. If you think it's nasty, don't eat it! Either work in the calories for sugar, or go without sweetness...

You may want to check out the "Whole Foods Lifestyle" forum - I know a lot of people there avoid artificial sweeteners, you may want to look there for other ideas!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Big hugs, Jennifer
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #4  

i must be one of those sensitives because my mouth tastes like garbage right now to me. Thanks manda. I usually sweeten my tea with organic raw honey. I use 1/4 cup to 3 quarts so the calories come out really low. I hate to just dump the tea, but I think I will because forcing myself to drink it is only makeing me irritable. you are right.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would agree with mandalinn. I pretty much avoid all forms of sweeteners but there are certain exceptions. I drink lots of tea, iced and hot without any sweetener but it took me a while to get used to it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

I'm really sorry you're having such a bad night, and I hope all turns out fine with your SO. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and when he doesn't show up when expected (meaning within a couple hour window), I can get myself very freaked out and worried that he's had a bad reaction and driven the car in a ditch. It always turns out to be just WORRY over nothing, but it sure would be nice if they CALLED wouldn't it??

Also, sorry about your tea - I've been using Truvia in my coffee - I actually do like it but want to know what's in it. Is it really not BAD for my body? I need to do more research.

Hang in there. Tomorrow will be a better day!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #7  

Thanks chic! I needed that.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

I hate that stuff too. Number one, it gives me gas and bloating like no food ever has before. Second, I don't like the taste of it either. The best tasting one so far is Splenda but it still gets my stomach in knots. I opt for the real sugar and deal with the calorie counting of it all. I am MUCH happier that way, lol.

I know you have been having some stress lately, so I think if you would rather have the real sugar, go ahead and account for the calories. There is no need to add any more stress right now.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Have you tried Agave nectar at all? It has the same calories as honey but has a lower GI. I like it ok.

I have used Truvia. I won't be buying it again.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #10  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

I cant stand when its just "one of those nights"....did it get better? I love lifetime but I notice that if Im mad I try not to watch it because some of the movies piss me off more...lol...And I dont like artificial sweeteners either...shhhh...dont tell anyone
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone really know much about Truvia (what I've been using lately). It says it's stevia based but to me it doesn't have any of the stevia bitterness - sooo, is it really stevia?? Is it good/bad for you? I got off spenda, nutrasweet and all that junk, and don't want to jump to another unhealthful option. Anyone know?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #12  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Sorry you had a bad night . Hope your SO came home safe and sound.

I recently (few months ago) switched to raw sugar. I used to take splenda in my morning coffee. I've been used to artificial sweetners (mostly in coffee) for many, many years now and it is really hard to switch to real sugar . I preferred splenda over equal. I couldn't taste the bitterness of the artificial sweetner but I could tell the difference between equal, splenda or sweet & low (nasty). You remind me of my friend who does not like artificial sweetners and can taste the bitterness .

I've tried light agave (high calorie) and stevia. Both, were not sweet enough for me. Agave, for the amount I would have to use to sweeten my coffee was pointless for me cuz it made my coffee very high in calorie. Stevia was not good at all...there was a slight aftertaste. But different brands of stevia offer different sweetness. It is available in both powder and liquid form. Also, a friend told me that dark agave is sweeter. I haven't tried that so maybe you can try that.

I've been trying very hard to get used to sugar in my coffee and believe me, it is very hard to switch (for me). My morning coffee does not taste sweet enough to me and sometimes tastes like crap. But, it's worth the effort. I feel I am retraining myself to the taste of sugar and I know it will take time to adjust . Over the years, I got used to splenda and it is sweeter (for me) than sugar. I have a very bad sweet tooth, hence, it is even more difficult. Hope you find something you like .

Hope you're feeling better today and have a less stressful day

Last edited by pintobean; 08-13-2009 at 07:41 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #13  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Sorry about your night Jen

I personally can't imagine not having Splenda in my life. I drink way too much coffee and hot tea for me to use regular sugar. I did try Truvia but don't like it in my drinks, although it's pretty good sprinkled on strawberries.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I'm really sorry you're having such a bad night, and I hope all turns out fine with your SO. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and when he doesn't show up when expected (meaning within a couple hour window), I can get myself very freaked out and worried that he's had a bad reaction and driven the car in a ditch. It always turns out to be just WORRY over nothing, but it sure would be nice if they CALLED wouldn't it??

Also, sorry about your tea - I've been using Truvia in my coffee - I actually do like it but want to know what's in it. Is it really not BAD for my body? I need to do more research.
Hang in there. Tomorrow will be a better day!
I was IN LOVE with Truvia when I first tried it, it didn't seem to give me the bad reactions and headaches other artificial sweeteners gave me, so I went from using it sparingly to pretty often and then it hit...WHAM-O. Ice pick head aches and anxiety. I wrote a letter to Cargill, (the makers of Truvia and basically a chemical company, who we also buy our farming chemicals and seed from.) And LOW and BEHOLD, the "natural flavors" is Monosodium glutamate...or better known as MSG. Great, they add chemically altered salt to the stevia to make it taste better. UGH.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #15  

omg, I knew it. I don't trust FDA regulated natural stuff. I get huge irritability and headaches from artificial sweeteners and msg makes me eat like a pig and get hungry.

Yeah, I'm ditching the truvia. i hate it. I was also irritated because the cashier didn't use my bonus card to give me a discount. Anyways, I'm going to the store to return the stuff. And get my discount.

Also, SO was at his friend Frank's. He called me at 10:30 pm. I should have checked the caller ID. He had fire training before that.