Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #1  
Danny Hanson

Default Salads: In or Out

Hello everyone, I was wondering how often everyone eats salads as well as what type(s) of dressing you like?
LivinHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like salads and some days I'll eat 2, some days none. My favorite dressing is actually salsa. It is very low calorie and flavorful.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I eat a salad daily with my main meal and use whatever low calorie dressing sounds good that day.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #4  

My favorite brand is Newman's Light. The sesame ginger, the honey mustard, Sun Dried Tomato, Balsamic.. etc.. all good
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Oooo one of my favourite salads is actually what I get at the mall across the street during lunch time at work if I've forgot my lunch.
-A bag of romain mix salad
-1 small can sweet thai chilli flavoured tuna
-1/3 tub hummus

sooo good!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

I go on streaks where I eat salad every single day for lunch, and once a week for dinner... and then times like right now where I don't want salads at all, and have one maybe every other week (when I'm at a restaurant and it's the best option).

I'm not counting pasta salads, rice salads, bean salads, etc.

I switch dressings all the time, but right now (well, before I went on this no-salad kick) it's Kraft sun dried tomato vinaigrette, Kraft light Asian toasted sesame, and Ken's light Northern Italian.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I am getting a ton of lettuce and cucumbers in my CSA so I eat 1-2 salads a day. My lunch usually consists of a dinner plate full of greens and other salad veggies with about 4 oz of whatever meat is leftover from the night before (and often whatever l.o. cooked veggies cold). If I have no leftovers, I'll slice up some ham or turkey or put some canned beans on.

Dressings - I use spritz type often if I use bought dressings. I like salsa a lot. Sometimes I do salsa with a swirl of light ranch. I like Newmans Balsamic.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I eat a gigantic green salad almost every night with my dinner. It's so big, I have to eat it in a mixing bowl. It's comprised of lettuce, cucumber, radishes, and then one or two other veggies, depending on what is in season. No non-veggie add-ins other than dressing.

For dressing, I usually look for less than 25 calories per serving, but sometimes I splurge. My hands-down favorite is Bernstein's Light Fantastic. I also like Trader Joe's Fat Free Vinaigrette. I like the flavor of Galeo's Miso Toasted Sesame Dressing, but it's a little watery. The Wishbone Bountiful dressings are okay, but not my favs (my SO requires a lot of variety in his diet, so I can't just eat my fav all the time). If I'm splurging, I like the Seeds of Change vinaigrettes, Trade Joe's Asian Sesame, and Annie's Gingerly Vinaigrette.

I also sometimes make a dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar with dijon mustard.

Mostly I eat my salads as a side dish, but sometimes I add meat, cheese, and/or fruit to them and eat them as my main dish.

Lately, I've occasionally been replacing my huge side salad with a small salad of 2 oz diced nectarine, 2 oz cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced basil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. I mix everything but the vinegar together, then drizzle the vinegar over the top. With fresh nectarines from the farmers' market and cherry tomatoes out of my garden, this is a nice treat.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I eat a salad almost everyday for lunch! Love it, and then I get excited when we get to go to Sweet Tomatoes (aka Soup Plantation)for lunch!

I love fat free catalina, the spray ones like balsamic or the asian ginger. I also make a corn black bean salsa/dressing to put atop my salads. Sometimes green tabasco! Lemon Juice or Lime Juice is good too. Red Wine Vinegar or just straight out Balsamic.

Corn & Black Bean Recipe:
1 can black beans, i use the 50% less sodium, drained & rinsed
2 cans corn, drained rinsed, i use no sodium added
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
6 green onions, or 1 small red onion, i trade off using both
3 jalapenos seeded and chopped
3 tomatoes seeded and chopped
1/2 cup of italian dressing,i only use 1/4 cup, and use the good seasonings packets to make my own dressing
chopped cilantro, i use about half a bunch, but i love cilantro

Mix all ingredients in a Large bowl, chill and serve. I put about 1/2 to 1 cup on my salads, yum yum yum.
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #10  
Workin' It

I just had a salad with lettuce, blueberries, raspberries, mango, tomato, grilled chicken & hot sauce. First time I mixed those things, pretty good. I also like salsa in place or regular dressing.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #11  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I eat salads almost every day, sometimes twice a day. I don't use any dressing.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #12  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

I love salads and eat them regularly.

My salad dressing recipe is:
balsamic vinegar
Dijon mustard
splash of soy sauce
drizzle of honey
teaspoon of chopped garlic
salt and pepper
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I'm with you, Pita. I eat em everyday.

Thanks for the dressing recipe
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat some sort of salad every single day. Most days, I eat them multiple times. I can't remember the last time I didn't eat one. They vary though, here's a few different ways that I make them, out of the dozens of that I eat. I never use store bought dressings. :

Romaine hearts, baby spinach, European greens, red onion, grape tomatoes, orange peppers, cucumbers, a sprinkle of chopped pecans, a diced peach and a handful of blueberries with a splash or 2 of balsamic vinegar - MAJOR yumm! And like Barbara, I eat it out of a serving bowl. A big serving bowl

I make a WONDERFUL red cabbage salad with red wine vinegar, shredded carrots, scallions, craisins, mandarin oranges and slivered almonds.

Then there's hearts of palm, grape tomatoes, red onions, avocado, garlic and lemon. No other dressing required.

And roasted grape tomatoes and chopped garlic salad. Out of this world.

Chickpeas & other beans go great in salads. As do strawberries. Tuna, grilled chicken, turkey breast, salmon - all great accompaniments and what I'll toss in my salad on occasion. They all add lots of flavor and moisture and I just like to add a little balsamic vinegar, if anything.

Pita, your dressing sounds really good. I may give it a try. No, I WILL give it a try.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #15  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Mmmmmm Robin, that red cabbage salad sounds DIVINE! I think we really have to get exciting and experimental with salads. Adding fruits, nuts, beans...

I've been making my own dressings too, because too often I find they expire in my fridge. I have a lot of vinegars stocked up that I mix and match with oils.

I've also been enjoying PESTO in my salads, which iI find so savoury and delicious.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote