Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1  

Default Ugh..sick.

Hey folks,

Do any of you find that when you start a new diet you get sick? It always seems to happen to me. I started this week with my great new resolve and a few days in I am home with a bad cold/flu. Uggh. I'm still trying to eat sensibly, but exercising is out of the question until my head stops pounding. Discouraging! I still hope my first weigh in on Friday will be positive, but I wish I could really get started on my life changes instead of lying in bed.

Anyone else run into this?

- Joanna
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I haven't experienced this.

I sure hope you get to feeling better real soon. Take care of you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Joanna,

I have had headaches when first stopping eating junk, especially after I had eaten high levels of sugar for long periods of time. Do you think it could be some type of withdrawal?

Keep eating healthy and I bet it will pass. Let the exercise wait until your head quits pounding.

Hope you feel better soon.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #4  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

I hope you feel better soon, I have gotten sick when I start out too.
Bravelilchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was just reading an article a few weeks ago about a study that found that weight loss (even with obesity) decreased immune function, during the weight loss phase (once the weight stabilizes, immune function rebounds back to normal).

To me that didn't say "weight loss is bad," just that maybe while losing weight, it might pay to take a few extra precautions (more handwashing and germ consciousness - I don't think you have to stockpile hand-sanitizer, just realize it can be part of the process).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #6  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I was just reading an article a few weeks ago about a study that found that weight loss (even with obesity) decreased immune function, during the weight loss phase (once the weight stabilizes, immune function rebounds back to normal).

To me that didn't say "weight loss is bad," just that maybe while losing weight, it might pay to take a few extra precautions (more handwashing and germ consciousness - I don't think you have to stockpile hand-sanitizer, just realize it can be part of the process).

This is so interesting! For the past three weeks or so, I've found myself sick every few days (a cold/sore throat would come and go...now today I feel like I have Bronchitis!). I wonder if weightloss has compromised my immune system...

I'm going to the doctor's today to be sure.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #8  

Interesting! I agree with the sugar withdrawal headaches (I've certainly had them before) but this time it is combined with a sore throat and sinus problems. I have two young kids in daycare, so all the more reason to wash my hands even more often!

-j.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, when I was teaching every darn time I'd start a diet I'd pick up whatever bug was circulating at the school that I'd been "immune" to. It was like my body was busy reacting to my diet changes and let the immunity gate down.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Oh, kaplods, thank you for posting this. I was just ranting about my seemingly endless health issues and how I am worried that my immune system is messed up. I could cry reading this... I have been so perplexed by my recent run of illness and infection.

See thread here.

Peace, Heather

Last edited by MrsWolf; 08-12-2009 at 04:45 PM.
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote