Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default How do you chew?

I have always been a person who eats rather quickly. Even now, I still do.

I am wondering how slow you eat and how many chews you take with each bite of food, what are the benefits/downside of that plus how does a person stop eating fast?
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #2  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I'm a slow eater...always have been. I don't know exactly how slow I eat but relatively speaking I'm always the last person to finish food at the table. The only times I remember eating way too fast is if I'm really hungry. Hubby, on the other hand, is a fast eater. He tries to slow himself down some times.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #3  

You're supposed to chew???

I have a hard time slowing down and being conscious of my chewing.

You're supposed to chew until it's liquified. Have you ever seen the show "You are what you eat?" Or read the book? She talks a lot about chewing food. She actually gets (poo) samples from people and can tell that they didn't chew well. She tells people that there are no teeth in your stomach, so you need to chew your food. It will cause less work for your digestive system. Your body can also pull the nutrients out better. I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't remember.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I used to eat very fast. It was embarrassing to always be done way before anyone else.

I broke the habit with a combination of trying to (being mindful of it while eating) and doing things like reading or internet surfing or doing puzzles while eating. I know that's the opposite of what they usually say. But I would take a bite, then focus on the other thing a bit, then take another bite ... It helped a lot. Whereas trying to do nothing but eat, and do it slowly - I just got too bored. Now, it's easier for me to do nothing but eat and do it slowly. But the other stuff helped me break the habit.

I find that the slower I eat, the sooner I get full, and the less I eat. Plus I feel a lot more civilized when not eating alone .

They say it takes 20 minutes for your food and brain to connect and tell you you're getting full. I believe that for sure. But, I also feel like the slow pace of eating itself affects how full I get. I think my stomach and brain respond differently. And I think it helps break the binging, stuff-your-feelings mentality.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I am a super fast eater too. I think you are supposed to chew at least 20 times??? And it helps to put your fork down and close your eyes.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I would purposely do things to slow myself down, I put down my fork, take a sip of water. If I'm eating lunch with someone I put my fork down when I talk, and so on.

Now I eat much slower than before- gives me time to digest and feel full! I try to make each of my meals stretch to 20 minutes from my first bite to my last bite. If you find you are done within 5 minutes of starting then try to up it each meal by a minute or two

Course now my hubby complains I eat TOO slow lol
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #7  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I eat fast. Always have and I think I always will. I've tried to slow down, but I can't seem to break the habit. I guess I'm not really interested in breaking the habit, which is why I haven't given it my all. To me, it's all about calories in v. calories out, so it doesn't make a difference how fast I eat my food as long as I don't feel like I'm swallowing the food in it's original form. I've learned to take smaller bites so that the little chewing I do has some effect.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm a quick eater. Eating slower is still something I haven't mastered and I keep saying I'm going to work on it - but never do. Obviously it wasn't all that much a factor for me as I've lost the weight and kept it off, but I wouldn't mind my food lasting a little longer. And since I can't eat any MORE food without gaining weight, the only way to make it last longer, would be to slow down...

I'm not sure why I gobble it up so quickly . It's not like someone's going to take it away from me. Or are they?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Out of curiosity Onederchic, when you smoked were you one who would light up and let the cigarette burn in an ashtray, or did you puff away until it was done?

I ask that because when I smoked I smoked very fast, people would even commit that I smoked like I was on a 5 minute break. I also eat very fast...and when I used to drink (alcohol) I would drink very fast. This was pretty dangerous habit for sure. It's like I want to get it over with or something.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm not sure why I gobble it up so quickly . It's not like someone's going to take it away from me. Or are they?
Only you
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #11  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

i used to be a fast eater. Now, I force myself to eat slowly. I actually watch the clock. For smaller meals, I try to take 10 minutes. For large meals I try to eat it for around 20 minutes. Eating slower has helped me lose weight, it allows me to listen to my body and determine whether or not I"m actually still hungry. Naturally, I also drink two glasses of water before I start eating each meal.
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Out of curiosity Onederchic, when you smoked were you one who would light up and let the cigarette burn in an ashtray, or did you puff away until it was done?

I ask that because when I smoked I smoked very fast, people would even commit that I smoked like I was on a 5 minute break. I also eat very fast...and when I used to drink (alcohol) I would drink very fast. This was pretty dangerous habit for sure. It's like I want to get it over with or something.

No, I smoked each cigarette like it was my last, puffed it down pretty quickly..I don't know why though
Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

loribell, thats really interesting about the smoking, i eat really slowly, and when i smoked i smoked slowly too! i wouldnt let it burn in the ash tray, but i took my time over each one, inhaled slowly etc. (god i miss them sometimes!) and i kind of do the same with my food. i eat really slowly and savour each bite. if its a combination of flavours i try to taste each one, and if i havent made it i like to guess at the ingredients. i'm a total food geek tho!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #14  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

i'm a fast eater aswell! i cant help it. i really try hard to slow down. but i just sometimes inhale my food haha.

lol at the above poster about gobbling it up and not like someone is gonna take it from you. maybe its an instinctual thing from our ancestors when food was scarce ! lol

but yes i will try to eat slower, but its hard.

i read in this book once. that you first eat normal speed for awhile whatever is normal for you. and then half way through eat much slower.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm a quick eater. Eating slower is still something I haven't mastered and I keep saying I'm going to work on it - but never do. Obviously it wasn't all that much a factor for me as I've lost the weight and kept it off, but I wouldn't mind my food lasting a little longer. And since I can't eat any MORE food without gaining weight, the only way to make it last longer, would be to slow down...

Yep, my old 330 pound self is coming after ya so you better take your food and run