Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Nurses Challenge

Hi fellow nurses! I am an RN in a busy NICU and have been finding it challenging to lose weight for several years due to 12 hours shifts, inconsistent eating patterns, skipped meals(due to busy unit), and late eating. Plus inconsistent schedules make it a challenge to get to the gym or workout.
Do any other nurses experience this challenge? If so let support each other and finally get this weight off!
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #2  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey!!! Thanks for starting this thread!!! I'm so in!! There are tons of nurses on here, we should have a pretty good turnout.

I'm a nurse too (RN) from Ohio....worked 12 years med surg with renal and diabetes focus. Am on sabbatical now for personal reasons. Time to heal and work on me, which includes exercise and eating healthily, losing some weight. I will probably wait and disclose those personal reasons later, when we've all gotten to know each other better.

I've lost 20 pounds this summer (since early June) and am still on a roll. I <kinda> count calories though I'm not as strict about counting as many are. I try to increase protein, fiber and watch calories and fat. No white sugar/flour and I keep glycemic index type ideas in mind. I really do think that I get cravings and impulses to overeat when my blood sugar spikes (no, I'm not diabetic). I try to eat clean for the most part, chicken/fish/lean meats, fruits, veggies....lots of fiber one, subway sandwiches, soups, south beach meals, salads. I find I do best for breakfast and lunch but by dinner I fall apart, and I tend to overeat at bedtime.

So what kind of timeframe would you like to make this challenge? Til Halloween? Or is this just a support thread?

I'll be back soon! Thanks for the thread!!!! xox Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'9.5"

Can busy nursing students join as well?
krp28806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #4  

Great idea.Ive attempted this before so I hope this thread sticks!!I have been a nurse for 15 years and a mom for 18 and a wife for 20......Taking care of others, yep that what I do best.Now I need to take care of me.Tired of being tired.My days at work are busy...short staffed..crabby managers...even crabbier patients(you all know the drill)Unfortunately I have eaten to deal with all of the stress.Lets do this together!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #5  
Rising from the ashes....

Default Count me in

Count me in!

I am a RN from just outside of Ft Knox Ky.
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #6  
One Day At A Time

Morning ladies! (and gents, if we get any!) And I say YES absolutely~jump in nursing students!!! I remember those days, bright eyed and enthusiastic about putting in foleys, etc. Actually, I'm still a bit of a procedure-girl. That's why I love med-surg. I think though, when I go back to work after my leave, I'm going to end up somewhere WAY different. I just don't know what yet. maybe looking at hemodialysis, education, office nursing? I don't know yet. I feel that God will put the right position in my path when that time comes.

So this really helped me in the challenge I'm on right now. I get stuck feeling like my weight isn't moving....then I went back and checked my journal and put it on paper like this:

WEEK 1: 259.0
WEEK 2: 258.0
(the jump here may have been a week and a half, I doubt I lost 4 lb in one week but I know that's the week I walked the trail EVERY day)
WEEK 3: 254.0
WEEK 4: 253.0
WEEK 5: 252.0
WEEK 6: 250.5!!! <---woop woop! (today's weigh in)

And I said, wow look at that. You can plainly see the gradual progression. Plus I'll be in the 240s any day now. I love getting under the next ten pounds. (249,239,229, etc)

I spent a lot of time angry....at one point I had lost almost 100 pounds, got down to about 215, broke my ankle and the weight snowballed and the motivation went out the window and got back to 272. It was awful. So I didn't get excited to see 269,259, the 250s because I had already conquered them once! But I guess because of my recent experiences I'm just grateful to be getting healthy and I'm back to being excited again. I will just be DANCIN' when I see the 230s again. So my attitude is better at this time in my life. I really think I'm going to do it this time. I am in the right mindset.

I'm a mom...Robert (9) is going into 4th grade and my daughter Rachel(5) is going to KINDERGARTEN this year!!! So I think my life will change for sure with them BOTH being in school. I'll have time to go to the gym, no excuses. Plus I can still walk outside, I'd say the weather is warm enough until at least November. I found this awesome nature trail near my house it's about 2.5 miles the whole way, so no excuses to quit early, I have to walk the whole thing.

Let's post some of our favorite recipes? I'm looking for some fab dinner ideas. I seem to have breakfast and lunch down pat but fall apart at dinner time and late night snacks. Though last night I grilled some pork chops (the thin cut, they looked lean to me) and some steamed veggies and I was full through the night and didn't snack. So maybe a nice filling dinner idea would help me through TV time....

xooxoxo Michelle
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

RPN ... 30 years this September.

I give up trying to make lunches etc. I just bought a handsome bag and fill it with stuff. Soy cheese, boiled eggs, an apple, banana, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, laughing cow, celery, protein shake powder even. Even if my break is short, I can grab something. It's not unusual for there to be a container of crunchy veggies on my med cart.

Exercise is another matter entirely
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

You mean work itself doesn't count as exercise???? Darnit!

I just ate mexican food and feel like I'm gonna explode, blugh. Be back tomorrow. Long coupla days. xo Michelle
Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'9.5"

I've been doing the couch to 5k program for the past 3 weeks. Hoping I'll make myself find time when school starts back up...

I wondered how you guys make time for workouts. I used to work in the OR before I went back to nursing school, and I know after working 12 hours, I def. didn't feel like working out. But now I'm wondering if it would have made me feel better. What are your opinions about working out after your shifts?
krp28806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Good morming all my fellow Nursing friends

I kinda went MIA for a couple of weks, on vacation for13 days and then right back to work when I came back,. Had a great vaca and even lost some weight so I am empowered right now and can hardly wait to get to the gym and continue on my eating plan but.........stress is not my friend and either is being alone. All of this equals eating mindlessly.
Life was crazy this weekend and I was so upset about a family situation that happened this weekend at work that I didn't eat a lot. No exercise this weekend but am going to walk the track tonight at son's football practise. Maybe even do some lunges and squats on the bleachers.
Hope everyone is well and getting wher they want to be.
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #11  

I def consider work to be exercise....cuz nursing is hard work!!!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #12  
sugar is the devil

Hello!

I'm a student nurse entering my last year of school!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #13  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Hi scrappinRN - apart from the living in Canada bit (which I don't), you have described me to a T! I'm having the added issue of my plantar fasciitis flaring up at the moment and I can barely walk in the mornings, let alone run. May be time to pull the orthotics out of the cupboard me thinks.

My biggest issue is revolving shifts. We work 12 hours, half days and half nights. Really messes with your circadian rhythms, let me tell you.

But I'm getting there. 25 lb so far with calorie counting, and I've got about the same to go, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Depends how I feel when I get there.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #14  

...long day yesterday at work...busy busy busy.So trying to catch up on sleep today.Have a great weekend yall....
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #15  

End of my 3 day off stretch....they are few and far between.*sigh*