Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:31 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #200

Good Afternoon -- Evening, Flowers!
It is "almost" dark outside and I am waiting for DH to get home from church singing practice. His group is singing Sunday as well as the bells playing. I haven't gone back to practice yet and can't say that I have missed it much. Maybe when I hear them play I will get the urge again.

We had a busy weekend. There were not nearly as many people at the church dinner Friday night as there were three years ago when we were "in charge." I will be curious to see how much $$ they have committed to the next part of this project.

Saturday we met the kids for lunch in Sioux City. Jason and Amanda were the last to arrive and as we watched them walk across the parking lot, Beth commented that A. is starting to waddle! I had to laugh as she was right. We did some car shopping but didn't like anything that we took a test ride in so guess I will drive with a cold seat for a while longer. Saturday evening we went to a Harvest supper with Amanda's parents -- church suppers are always so yummy!

Sunday was church and catch - up day. I kept so busy I didn't even take time out for the computer. I sure have a couple of clean closets to show for my efforts!

Bubbles -- We are Methodist but we make sure that EVERYONE gets a pledge card whether they come to church or not! I'm with Mike -- I love the junk food too! I'm glad your friend is having success with the new drug; I hope that continues! You know, I don't think they build cars like they used to. They all seem to have little quirks that are unique to that particular vehicle. I count my blessings everyday that we are healthy; I have a friend whose husband had a heart attack at 26 and left her with a 2 year old and pregnant with her second child. One of her sons has the same thing and has had heart surgery. I've never lost anyone suddenly although my dad was sick for what I would call a short amount of time. Watching my mother die a slow death over 18 months was not fun. Either way, I don't think one is ever prepared to lose a loved one.

Gloria -- I'm thinking about changing internet providers but I'm so scared I won't be able to get myself back online. We're also thinking about a new computer because this one is getting more glitchy as the days go by. I am so excited about the baby coming -- my DH kidded me saying he's never slept with a Grandma before. DUH! Has your daughter remarried? I really admire single mothers who are raising children -- it's hard enough when there are two parents.

Maggie -- Amanda's official due date is the 25th. The sonogram last week showed the baby is still breech so if it doesn't turn, they will likely due a Csection on the 22nd. "It" weighs 6# 13oz. so should be ok healthwise. I haven't heard from Cindy in ages -- wish she would visit us here. DH is going to get a laptop for Quicken and his digital camera. The company is getting "picky" about anything extra being installed on their business computers. I am not coordinated when it comes to running the little mouse pad thingy. The neat part is that if he has a problem the tech support in Des Moines can work on his PC from there. He just sits at his desk and watches the cursor move around.

I should go dream up something for supper. Have a terrific Tuesday. It's 34 degrees and COLD here in Iowa!

Jean -- shivering in Iowa!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:09 PM   #2  
Web Nana

Good evening Magnolias:

JEAN: Just came by before I shut down my computer for the evening. We changed to our Electric Co. as our internet provider about 3 years ago. It was the best move!!! They are always available for questions and the people are most pleasant and don't talk above me. If you know what I mean. One time we had a outage for 2 days and they gave us a $10 rebate on the bill. Not bad in my opinion.

DD#1 has not married nor really started dating yet. For the first few years she has been working as a printing broker from home. This year she has gotten a job at a mortgage firm and helps people get mortgages or remortgage their homes. With the low interest rate she has been quite busy. She only has to be in the office for 4 hours a week and the rest of the time she meets prospective loan takers at their homes or at the office. This still gives her time with her kids. The youngest is turning 9 and needs to be brought to and picked up from school. When she has an appointment that makes that impossible we can help out. I think she is beginning to think about dating but it is scary out there!!!

I will be thinking of Amanda and Jason as the month moves on. All four of our kids were born by C-section. It takes more out of you but the incision is so much smaller today that you recover quicker. Wishing you all the best!

Gloria in MA...going to watch "This Old House" my favorite program. Have a good night all.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:31 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in our neighborhood -- 57 degrees and the sun is still shining!

Gloria -- Looks like you and I were the only ones in the flower patch last night! Wish some of the "visitors" would post a note once in a while! Beth is 24 and says that so many of the guys in her age range either have a child with an exgirlfriend, an exwife and a child, or both. We tell her to keep looking . . . maybe at church! Your daughter is lucky to have you close by to help out.

Not much else is going on here; the days seem to slip right on by. Tomorrow night we are going to our HS musical. It's Oklahoma so it should be a good one.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

We are incredibaly busy now and I don't spend nearly as much time on my computer as I used to. But you can rest assured I will poke my head in here once in a while. Tomorrow is weigh-day and I do certainly hope to show a loss. I know I have not been drinking enough water this week - so hard to do when I am on the go so much. Today we must go up the mountain and buy some cell phone time for my pre paid phone and pick up our mail from our post office box there. Mayby wewill go by and see my folks while we are there and stop in at the hospital and visit our nurse friends and have lunch with them. Looks like "top down" weather out there.

JEAN Oklahoma - what a fun play to go see. I remember going to see that one done and it was excellent. I always loved that movie. I don't think we did any musicals like that when I was in school ~ Diary of Anne Frank we did though. Our Acappella Choir did lots of musical programs though. We were quite good said the local newspapers. We did some stuff ~ we had a top notch instructor that really was the best in his field.

Have a great Humpday everyone.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:21 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Back from seeing the Iron Monster and he said I am down another 2 POUNDS which I am totally grateful for since I didn't drink water like I should have last week. I will do better in that department this week and have already given it a good go.

Hope everyone who comes this way is having a great day.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:54 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a good thing that I like myself because I keep coming back here to talk to me. Hope that everyone is well and happy and busy with life. It is another wonderful top down day and I am going out for a nice spin, maybe go get my Dad and take him for a nice ride. It is an 18 point day and Life is good. Cowboy is almost "back to exact" and the grass seed he planted is an inch tall. After that rain the sun came out and the seeds sprang forth. So the bare spot that once was at the end of the trailer is now a green carpet. Next we will plant seed in the back bare spots.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:21 AM   #7  

Happy Friday, Flowers!

I don't know where this week has gone but it sure flew by fast! I can't believe that Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner . . . time has a way of slipping by, that's for sure.

It's turned cold and windy again. There was no sunshine today and it was so gloomy. It felt like some weather was going to happen and by the way the kids were acting, something is going on in the atmosphere!

I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow afternoon. I think Amanda and Jason are coming over -- the shower is for the baby of the couple that introduced J & A. Sunday some friends are coming over to go to church with us and then out to eat. Another weekend of not getting as much done as I would like, but that's ok.

Maggie -- I guess you have been talking to yourself in the flower patch! I'm glad you are having top down days -- think of us shivering in our winter wonderland. A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on another great loss! I had another gain last week and am so mad at myself! I sure don't know why some days (weeks) are so easy and others are just bad, bad, bad!

Have a super weekend, Flowers! I am off to bed!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:52 AM   #8  
Kool Kat

Hi, everyone! I've been on this thread once or twice, but decided I would like to try to stick around a little bit better this time. How is everyone doing?

I am a full-time college student with 2 part time jobs... so I am a very busy girl. Physical theray, also, because of surgery due to car accident last december. It's finals time again and major project due dates are coming up very soon. I'm not really too fond of my office part-timer right now... kinda boring. My brother was in a car accident and he was the only one out of 4 adults and 4 kids living in his house that had a job. He's ok, but his car is totaled and he doesn't have the money to buy a new one so that he can get back and forth to work. So we may have to go get him and his family and bring them back up here to stay with my mom and I in our tiny little 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. Now I've developed what the dr seems to think is chronic migraines... even though the insurance did "research" that says a migraine only lasts 3 days and you only have 2 a month... my last one was about 4 days ago and it lasted for about 15 days. So much for that!!

Sorry for the hodge-podge of info... but that's leading up to one point... I'm stressed... and getting depressed. I'm on my way down... very slowly. I have 9 months to look good for my best friend's wedding. I'm one of his "groomspeople." Should be fun, but I really want to look good. I'm having a hard time finding gym time tho. My physical therapist gave me pointers for something she calls the "wedding tone-up" which will help shape some arms. I am currently about 235. (I fluxuate so much!!) I would like to be down to 160 or 175 by next july. Think I can do it?

Thanks for listening guys!! I'll be around!!

Seren Dee
Old 11-16-2002, 08:42 AM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

A good morning to everyone...remember me? I'm the person that shows up every now and then. I've sorta been lurking on and off so I've probably missed some very important information. Anyway here I am!

Not a whole lot has been going with me. I'm presently doing WW on my own with hubby. I'll go back to meetings at the beginning of the year. Just got really burned out with the meetings because I've heard the same things over and over again.

Everyone in my family is doing fine. Hubby is still working nights while I work days. I'm still at the university. Amanda is growing so fast! And talk! Can that kid talk! As hubby says she's a precious little thing in our lives. He says that a lot.

Hi Jean! I know you're excited about the baby! BTW, I had two c-sections. I need to buy a digital camera--I still haven't bought one of those. I've also been thinking of changing internset providers but can't make up my mind which one. AOL has been the pits for me lately. I hear that earthlink and juno are pretty good. It's a rainy day here and will also be tomorrow. It's going to be a good day to curl up with a good book...or walk on the treadmill. I can't believe Thanksgiving is just right around the corner. My parents aren't coming up this year but my fil and his lady friend are. There will be 7 of us adults and Amanda sitting at the table this year.

Hi Maggie! You know how sporadic I've been on-line lately...especially with answering email. Sounds like you're back on a roll program-wise. Glad to hear that--I'm proud of you. You're an inspiration to me. Remember Joyce? She's doing wonderfully also on program. BTW, how is Cindy doing? She's had her baby by now probably...did she have a boy or a girl? Next time you talk with her tell her I said hello and wish her well. Hubby has his vette all covered up in the garage now and he won't be taking it out until spring. He always drives it with the top down.

Hi Gloria! Remember me? I love that tv show--This Old House. The "star" of the show...Steve whats-his-name (is that right? is that his name? You'd think I would remember this because I do try and catch that show every now and then.) came to the university about a month ago to one of the "home shows" (where a bunch of area businesses get together and try to teach different things about sprucing up your home). Hubby and I didn't go this year though.

Hi Seren Dee. It's my opinion that one can do anything when one sets their mind to it...so yeah...you could be that weight in 9 months...or pretty close to it. Does the university you attend have a gym? Although it sounds like you really need to be careful right now. Make sure you talk with your doctor before doing anything. I broke my foot and sprained my ankle last Easter and I'm still feeling twinges now and then. I work (I'm sr. secretary/liaison for our master's program in my dept.) at a university--we're not at finals time yet...that will come the second week or so in December for us--we're later than a lot of colleges/universities.

I need to go wake up hubby...I really do plan on popping in when I can...unless y'all have locked the doors on me!

Old 11-16-2002, 10:03 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Saturday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Another lovely "top down" day. We are actually having the "East Winds" or "Santanas" otherwise they are the hot winds off the desert that make their appearance this time of the year. Cowboy went into a garden type store today and came out with a new yard umbrella in a lovely sage green color. It was marked down a hundred dollars so he got it for only $45 ~ such a deal. It sits on the patio nicely and provides wonderful shade. We are having pot luck tomorrow at noon after chruch services and there is always so much good food but I have learned how to deal at those functions now. At least I think I have. Well sometimes anyway.

JEAN I love the first snow and sure miss it but not the big storms that get people stuck. Time does move quickly and if we don't grab it as it goes by it passes on.

SAREN DEE Yes I remember you and welcome once again. You sure can do it ~ lose weight that is. Mainly what works is if you set small goals along the way. I never ever have more than 10 pounds to lose at any given time. If you set a small goal and then when you reach it get yourself a nice little reward of some sort and then set another goal. Pretty soon you have lost quite a bit and are on a roll. Looks to me like you have your hands full. {{{{{{HUG}}}}}}} When it rains it pours.

GAIL Cindy is due on the 26th of this month and will be having a boy which they plan to name Daniel. I sure will pass on your greetings to her. Can you ask Joyce if you can send me her e-mail address. I used to have it and don't know where it got to. It is good to see you stopping in now to post ~ nice to hear from you. I wish you well on your "doing it" at home with your husband as your partner will help. As long as we have been going to WW we could write the programs eh. I sure like my new leader.

Have a nice morrow.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:26 AM   #11  

Red face

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been a long day at our house. We had a cooperative effort (DH and myself!) to catch and transport two of the four kittens to a new home this morning. I have to catch them when they come to eat breakfast, otherwise it's hit and miss because they don't all come at the same time during the rest of the day. They went to an acreage out in the country so they will have a good home. Two more to catch and then we are ready for the next batch of kittens. I am getting closer to catching the mother but she is pretty smart.

Amanda and I went to the baby shower . . . I always forget how tiny new babies are. We are getting very anxious to meet our new family member!

Seren Dee -- Welcome to the flower patch! I noticed that you are from Indiana -- we used to travel through on the turnpike when we lived in Ohio and would come home to Iowa on vacation. I agree that you can do anything you set your mind to. Just lose the weight in a healthy fashion or you will gain it all back plus more. Trust me on that one as I've been there and done that! I hope that your brother's situation will work itself out without them having to move in with you. Good luck! I live with my DH and three cats plus a variety of stray cats that I feed. In my spare time I work with special ed. students at the high school level. We are looking forward to the arrival of our first grandchild any day now -- probably towards the end of the week. Our son and his wife will be the new parents. Our daughter is still enjoying her single status and works for Gateway.

Gail -- It's so good to see you! I surfed the WW threads one night and thought I might see you but never did find where you disappeared to. I am seriously thinking about having T. dinner OUT this year as there will probably only be three of us. The rest of our family is getting together on Saturday and everyone will have already had their fill of turkey. Don't be a stranger -- come back soon. I always enjoy your posts!

Maggie -- You put an umbrella up and today Bob put the Christmas lights around our deck. We did have a sunny, though cold day today. Good luck at the pot luck tomorrow. I wish someone would discover a way that we could share recipes while we eat. There's always so much good food.

I am off to bed! Have a nice Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:05 PM   #12  

Just checking to see if anyone was out and about today. Not much going on here; we went to church, out to eat, and spent the rest of the time visiting with our friends from out of town. Now I need to get organized and ready to face Monday. Have a great week, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #13  
Kool Kat

hi everyone! Well. mom and I went to the store today... our most favorite job. But we did really well... and picked up healthy stuff. We shouldn't have to go back for a few weeks now!!

I am very proud of my eating today! I skipped breakfast, but it's because there was a lot going on this mornin... not because I was intentionally skipping breakfast. For lunch, I ate a chicken salad sandwich with baked cool ranch doritos and a glass of milk. Then for dinner, we had meatloaf, green beans, and potatoes.

Ok, so maybe I didn't count points today... but I still really feel like I did well and I'm proud of myself for that. The only thing I'm not happy about is that the rest of my day was spent on my rear doing homework... and I'm still not done. I'll be up probably for another hour studying for an upcoming psych test. But 1 more hour is my limit. Im not one of those college students that can run on zero sleep... I refuse to do that to myself.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!

Seren Dee
Old 11-17-2002, 11:38 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Sunday Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been a good day this day but not so good with my eating for I ate too much. I'll pay for it but it is done and I will not dwell on it.

JEAN we will be putting up Christmas lights soon also but we will still have to use the sun umbrella.

SAREN DEE you are so wise to set a time limit for your school work so you get proper sleep. Your health is so important and staying up all night with the studies doesn't help. It is good that you were conscious of what you were eating. That is a positive for sure.

Have a good nights sleep all. Catch ya on the rebound.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #15  

Just a quick "hello" from Iowa. I have card club tonight and need to start supper soon.

Seren Dee -- Meatloaf sounds yummy . . . wish I had time to fix it tonight. Is Seren Dee your "real" name? I'm just curious! I could never study late when I was in college many moons ago -- some would stay up all night but I always went to bed.

Maggie -- Bob put our Christmas lights on the deck rail Saturday. It's supposed to be in the high 50s this week so it doesn't seem very Christmasy yet. I even have an outside plant that is still green; it's protected from the weather and next to the house. The TV said a cold front is on the way so I suppose that will be the end of that plant.

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread