Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #1  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Default "Ruby" on the Style network

So what do you think about that Ruby chick on the style network? I hadn't really ever watched her show (maybe once or twice in the past year) but I randomly watched about 2 episodes in a row yesterday.

And I hate to say this, but I was finding her SUPER annoying! I think it's because of the subject matter of the few shows I saw. She was unhappy with her trainer making her lift weights. She said it was making her "bulky." I wanted to scream at her about "lean muscle mass." Or I wanted HIM to scream at her about "lean muscle mass."

Then she gets a fitness "guru" from NY to come down and assess her and HE says that lifting weights is making her bulky. I wouldn't believe that a respected expert was telling her that she was going to "bulk up" from the amount of weights she was lifting.

I mean, even if you're at your goal weight it's pretty silly to think that unless you are seriously lifting, you're going to start bulking up like a female bodybuilder. And at 365 pounds, where she was then, how could ANYONE seriously tell her that lifting was going to NOT be helpful? I would think that anything she was doing to increase her lean muscle mass would be beneficial...

So anyway, she fired the trainer who was asking her to lift the weights.

And for anyone who has watched the show, how far into her weight loss journey is she? Has she gotten below 350? That's what she was talking aobut during this episode.

Last edited by Rebound; 07-13-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think her trainers saying "there's a special place in ****" for the consultant was ridiculous.

I do not remember him (the new fitness guy) stressing that she was bulking up with weights, but rather arguing that the focus on weight lifting over aerobic intensity was inappropriate, saying that the stress on her joints was unnecessary and was preventing her from working at a higher intensity.

I think that the new fitness trainer has a better understanding of the needs of morbidly obese patients. I've been wondering from the beginning why they haven't got her doing more intense workouts with less stress on the knees. Instead of walking slowly on the treadmill (which she has to do slowly because of the pain in her knees) why they didn't have her on a recumbent exercise bike - or any exercise bike and in the pool, where she could get aerobic activity.

I don't think that weights need to be taken out of her routine, but I do think they shouldn't be the main and especially not only exercise. The treadmill is providing some aerobic activity, but from personal experience I know that she could exercise at an aerobic intensity for much longer if they were having her do activities that reduced the pressure on her joints, especially in the knees.

Swimming (aerobic, not just splashing) and water aerobics are IDEAL for someone of her size. I can exercise in the water at a much higher intensity and for a much longer period of time than I can on land, and I know Ruby would too, so why don't any of the trainers have her in the water? With the money that the show has to be paying for her personal training, they easily could afford to rent almost any pool after hours (many would probably donate it for the free publicity).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find aerobic alternatives for very obese and other special needs clients (people with disabilities and disabling conditions), and I don't know why neither of the personal trainers are recommending water exercise.

I think both fitness experts have some good points, and I appreciate that they're coming from two different perspectives, but I almost think it's a "set-up" by the producers. Instead of finding a common-sense approach, specifically designed for Ruby to maximize exercise intensity/duration and minimize injuries, they've selected trainers with opposing viewpoints for dramatic effect.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-13-2009 at 09:31 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #3  
One step at a time...

Like I said, I haven't watched enough to know how this all plays out. And I do agree with what you just said about the aerobic choices that the first trainer was making. Those could have definitely been improved.

I only take issue with the "bulking up" part. There was no indication (at least in the few episodes I watched) that the first trainer was stressing weights over aerobic activity. It seemed to be merely a part of her entire workout scheme. If that was something that was established in other episodes that I didn't see, then maybe I'm wrong.

But the new guy absolutely 100% said that Ruby would "bulk up" if she continued to lift weights, and that's the part I think is foolish.

I agree with you about the cardio, Kaplods!

Quote:
I think both fitness experts have some good points, and I appreciate that they're coming from two different perspectives, but I almost think it's a "set-up" by the producers. Instead of finding a common-sense approach, specifically designed for Ruby to maximize exercise intensity/duration and minimize injuries, they've selected trainers with opposing viewpoints for dramatic effect.
And you're right -- there's probably more of this going on than they would like to admit!

Last edited by Rebound; 07-13-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #4  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I started watching this show and set it up on my DVR to record all new shows (now that I've "caught up").

Ruby has reached her 100 lbs lost goal, but has not gone under 350 yet (as of the most current show).

I do think that the personal trainers getting so upset was completely ignorant. I do agree with the guru that there are better options out there and maybe the trainers aren't taking into consideration that she is a morbidly obese person who has a lot of problems with her knees & other joints due to carrying so much weight for so long. I think she should get that recumbant bike and I agree with yawl about the water aerobics.

I do applaud her for taking her "hourglass" meals with her when she goes to restaurants to eat with her friends, but I do think that they (her friends) should be a LOT more supportive about it when she is there by NOT ordering the fried or greasy foods that you know she is craving! Just like her friend Georgia said...we could stand to lose the weight, but Ruby has to get used to this new way of eating...not everyone is on a diet and the world is full of temptation.

I hope this mini-series helps anyone who might be in her situation or close to it. If it helps just 1 person...it will be worth it.

PS - that "ex-boyfriend" is a total douchebag for buying her those pants for her to "get into". They were really pretty, but the fact is that he doesn't want her unless she is "thin". Ugh...just don't get me started.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #5  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I've watched the show from the beginning. I have missed some episodes, but honestly, I guess I'm watching more for the entertainment value than the facts. I love Ruby and her family/friends, hate her ex, and overall love that she's making her effort public. I guess I haven't paid close enough attention to the details to argue over the trainer.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #6  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

Height: 5'3"

Totally agree! I watched Ruby only a few times and she was super annoying! I don't know why the show has had such good reviews. I never watched it long enough to see the trainer stuff
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #7  
Losing member!

S/C/G: 360/360/200

Height: 6'

I cannot bring myself to watch it. She is too winey and the show is a bit contrived in the bits I have viewed.

Now that Dance your *** off show....that completely repulses me!!
txestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #8  
chomp chomp

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I find her a bit annoying, but I think the show captures her most annoying moments on purpose. The show is a bit voyeuristic. There's a lot of scenes where Ruby is eyeing junk food. The show makes it look like all overweight people do is eat, think about food, and complain. I'm sure she's not like that in real life.
kitchencurtains3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchencurtains3 View Post
I find her a bit annoying, but I think the show captures her most annoying moments on purpose. The show is a bit voyeuristic. There's a lot of scenes where Ruby is eyeing junk food. The show makes it look like all overweight people do is eat, think about food, and complain. I'm sure she's not like that in real life.
So true, though maybe she really is like that in real life. No matter what she does, I think all of these "reality shows" have an "everyman" feel, or "a day in the life of a" feeling that assumptions comes easily to anyone watching that it's how "people like that," live. Whether you're talking about the people who are small (with dwarfism), celebrities, obese, or have large families....., with reality shows, there's always that undercurrent. It's can be difficult to separate the stereotypes from the individuals, and the show produces want it to be (it makes it more "watchable.")

Last edited by kaplods; 08-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

On this past Sunday's episode she weighed 333. I really like the show. I met Ruby at one of her walks a couple months ago and she is really nice. Her whining doesn't bother me. I had a roommate in college that acted/talked just like her so I'm kind of used to it.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #11  
One step at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnycow View Post
On this past Sunday's episode she weighed 333.
Good for her! I hope she keeps going strong. I'd like to see a good positive "after" for once. The biggest loser folks are kind of hit or miss, and you never see a follow up on those other shows...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #12  

Good to know Ruby is still losing. I haven't seen an episode since I've been away. I'll have to catch up when I get home.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #13  

One thing the show doesn't always stress is how much she lost before the show even began. At one time, she had been nearly 700 lbs, so had lost nearly 300 lbs before the show even started.

I think I would have given the woman a bit more respect, knowing that.

I don't care what your personality is, if you can do that, you've got some strength and determination worthy of some respect (yeah, I know some people think a person has to be very weak and stupid to need to lose that much weight in the first place, but we all know how easy it is to get into a trap where food becomes your best, and sometimes only friend/frenemy).

That doesn't mean I can watch an entire episode without feeling the need to channel surf, but I do find myself watching more frequently (luckily the Style network repeats their popular shows til you're almost sick of 'em).
Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #14  

I have to say that I have been watching all season and I find it very interesting. I know some of it is a put on for tv but she still has issues that I can relate to. I find myself rooting for her a lot! And I really like her new trainers. I think that the other female trainer was kinda mean. When she told Ruby she couldn't do Pilates - that really bugged me.
bubbins11 is offline   Reply With Quote