Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Default Anyone else keep getting exercise injuries?

It's my hip now. It seems to happen every time I'm on a roll!

So aquafit was getting a little too easy so I got out the Wii Active and I find it very lower body intense. But I love the workout, I really enjoy it. But after two days my right hip is really bugging me.

I have a desk job so sitting does not help it at all. I'm fine laying down with a little discomfort and exercising or walk, it doesn't bug me at all.

But now, I wonder if exercise is going to cripple me. First my shoulder, then my knees, then my foot and thigh and how my hip. I just need a break from the pain so I can keep moving forward.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

My left knee is killing me from doing certain yoga poses ( Especially warrior)

Last edited by lottie63; 08-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #3  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I have gotten sore muscles, but can't say I have injured myself so far. My booty hurts pretty good right now. Maybe when you exercise the next time, you could try to really pay attention to your hip and that might help you figure out which exercises are bothering it? Maybe it's just the type.. and not just exercise in general? Do you stretch out and have a cool down routine afterwards? I know this can really help to avoid bad aches and pains.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

OH - and what about shoes? If you exercise barefoot or just with socks, it can cause pain & even injury depending on what you are doing.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dear chickies, perhaps you are trying to do too much too fast?

It can be really easy to overdo it without realizing it, especially if you're a person of size. Tremendous stress is placed on your joints and tendons, even if you are able to do the movements.

Even at a lower weight, someone who has mostly been sedentary (like me) should very gradually work into exercise to avoid injury.

I agree that good quality shoes with proper support is critical for anything like walking or aerobics workouts. You should never do workouts barefoot. Yoga might be an exception, but be sure you're doing modified poses that take into consideration your size, age, and flexibility.

Good luck! Please take it easy and avoid injury...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Well, I have gradually worked up with yoga, pilates, aquafit, walking, walk away the pounds, resistance training and now this Active, though it may be a little much but the workouts aren't that long.

I wear good shoes for any workout and I do indeed have a good cool down/stretch. I'm also pretty flexible for my size but yes the weight does add stress to the joints. Right now I'm working around it as best I can and will just continue walk until it's healed for now. Thank ladies.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

heck, yeah, I had the lactic acid in the legs fun, I've had pains in my knees (from doing marching in place), sore lower back (when I started doing core work), and now, since I have this tendency to slap my foot down harder than I mean to, my arch is aching -- major pain since a lot of my exercising is walking/treadmill. I switched to arc and elliptical for a while (but I still walk, which probably is why it's not totally gone yet)

plus, I inevitably mess up form every once in a while doing free weights and get some muscle soreness.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Count me in as one that definitely suffers from too much of a good thing. The three stress fractures in my foot really limit what I can do. I've found that if I do the circuit training machines (all except the one that works the obliques...it throws my back out) and then sometime either on a recumbent bike or walking the track; that I'm good.
Swimming doesn't work well because I am not a strong swimmer.
Also, I do not have proper shoes. With the perpetual swelling and incorrectly healed bones in my foot, I would have to get expensive ($100+) shoes and I am not able to do that. I've avoided surgery for almost 10 years to try to correct that foot; I was hoping that loosing weight would be a big help. So far; not so much.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I suffer from a knee injury and plantar fasciatus. Both have improved as my weight has gone down. My heel only recently started again full force and probably due to overdoing it. I know how it feels to want the most intense workout but I have to really give a double thumbs up to brisk walking. I started with it until I was down some in attempts to reduce injury risk. Also, bicycling would be a good choice.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

Yes! I had no physical aches or pains until I started walking for 45 minutes every day. I live in CA and the sidewalks are all up and down and tipped toward the streets, so I'm walking tipped to the side. My back started aching at the end of last year and has only gotten worse, which is why I'm seeing the ortho doc now. I think I really was walking too fast and too "hard". I wish I had done it more slowly, cause I'm paying the price now. Not only am I so heavy, but I keep forgetting I'm almost 55, which makes a difference too.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm missing a lot of cartilage in my right knee, so my bones rub together and that causes me a lot of pain. My sister and father have both had surgery, so I'm really careful not to overdo it. It hasn't really gotten better with weight loss, but I've had it since college, so I'm used to working around it. It's worse if I'm running or doing lunges, but sometimes the spin bike will make it hurt too.

I also have some weakness in my left deltoid, and I keep pulling it doing upward dog. I have to be pretty careful about that too. It sucks, but the benefits of yoga are worth working around my stupid shoulder, at least for me.

Last edited by thistoo; 08-05-2009 at 09:09 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #12  

Height: 6-1.5

you are gaurenteed to discove all sorts of new bruises and muscle tears after starting a new exersise routeen. A real injury vs. the sort of muscle pull and stress that is cause dby exersise is not always easy to tell. I have been told by muscle building experts to recover for a day between exersise sessions. In other words, until you can stand it, exersise on day one, and rest on day 2 and alternate. Muscles (and therefor elevated fat use and also metabolism) are caused by the actual micro-tearing of muscled during exersise.

Or, alternate exersise. Like: cardio one day and weight lifting the next. Or: lower body on day one, upper body on day 2. But never do the same exersise on consecutive days. (for some reason, abdominal muscles are immune to this rule.)
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, my feet hurt a lot, but buying really top of the line running shoes has helped. Advil also helps.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Knees and hips...knees and hips, I'm 26 and I feel 80, especially right now. I've been grocery shopping and errand running since 10am and didn't stop till 10pm. We live in a rural sorta area so every two weeks I get to repeat days like this. Up, down, up, down, bend, lift, reach, bend...and walk walk walk. I hurt so bad.
The only additonal recommendation I can make is really make sure your body is well warmed up for the workout and if your pretty sure your spending enough time doing that consider upping the heat in your house when you workout or if you can't control the heat, like at a gym or outside, where warmer clothes, (careful not to over heat, get lots of fluids), as being warm makes are bodies more limber and flexible and decreases injury. My HS weight lifting coach NEVER turned on the A/C in the gym in the summer, it was hot as **** but I have to admit, I never got an injury during that time (sore as all get up and could barely move, but not injured).

Last edited by TaraLee; 08-07-2009 at 11:46 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote