Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #1  

Default Anyone allergic to anti-depressants?

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if any one of you suffer from being allergic to anti-depressants. I just discontinued my 4th. one and I think I'm gonna give up on them all together. I'm so tired of the symptoms of being allergic and then the symptoms of coming off the drug. I'm now looking for alternative ways of dealing with my depression. Right now I'm just looking for improvement through diet and exercise. Any offers of advice!
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #2  

Hello,

Tell me in which of ingredient of anti-depressants you are allergic?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hello,

Tell me in which of ingredient of anti-depressants you are allergic?
Hi Victoria,
I'm not sure which exact ingredient I'm reacting to. I tried Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro and Wellbutrin SR though. I'm just tired of going on and off and dealing with the withdrawal symptoms. They all caused hives and severe itching. I was really feeling good on the Lexapro, even my husband and son found me to be so much more upbeat while I was on it, but I just couldn't endure the itching anymore.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #4  

Hi,

Is better to make some medical research, and see what is the problem! When i have problem and i am under stres i take Valerian! Is very good i think. Why you don't try!

I want to tell something more. When somebody is allergic to some medication, in the big part of cases he start to bloated. Tell me exactly how you feel?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 136.0/Shrinking/68.0 kilograms

Height: 173 cm (5'8")

My boyfriend is also allergic to them! I think he's tried 5 different ones now, and the difference they make emotionally and mentally are awesome...But he gets such bad side effects with them! The first one he tried he ended up having to go to the ER!

It's so frustrating, because they make such a difference as far as the depression goes...but the physcial reactions he gets are awful. Headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, dry mouth, stomach pains, changes blood pressure, loss of appetite...it's crazy! They make him so sick...I think he's just about ready to give up on them completely...even though he really does need them..

I have been on the same ones on and off for years and the only reaction I have is being extremely thirsty...but that goes away. I just wish he could find something that works as well for him!

Last edited by Helena; 04-06-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
My boyfriend is also allergic to them! I think he's tried 5 different ones now, and the difference they make emotionally and mentally are awesome...But he gets such bad side effects with them! The first one he tried he ended up having to go to the ER!

It's so frustrating, because they make such a difference as far as the depression goes...but the physcial reactions he gets are awful. Headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, dry mouth, stomach pains, changes blood pressure, loss of appetite...it's crazy! They make him so sick...I think he's just about ready to give up on them completely...even though he really does need them..

I have been on the same ones on and off for years and the only reaction I have is being extremely thirsty...but that goes away. I just wish he could find something that works as well for him!
WOW, I don't get all those awful side effects. I just break out in hives all over my body. Sometimes it's really embarrassing too, I was waiting to get my photo taken for an I.D. card for work when all of a sudden I could feel this tingling sensation in my upper lip and sure enough 2-3 minutes later I looked like someone slugged my with their fist right in the mouth. The swelling lasted a good 24 hours. I haven't taken any for about 3 weeks now and just today was noticing that my hives and itching have subsided greatly.
I have totally given up on anti-depressants. I seem to be doing alright with diet and exercise. I still have some issues, but I'm dealing with them right now.
Good luck to you and your boyfriend, I'm sure he's quite frustrated by now.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #7  

Default allergic to antidepressants

There is a scientific test that you can take to determine if you are allergic to antidepressants. These drugs use specific pathways in the liver via a family of genes called CYP450 these drugs confirm in their product information that these genes are needed to metabolise them. If you are one of the 20 to 30% of the population who has defective enzymes in these genes you will either not benefit from these drugs or they will make your feel even worse. If the levels get too high in your blood system it can cause you to become delusional and lead to things such as seretonin syndrome which can induce a heartache. They can make you feel agressive or even violent if you do not have the necessary genes in your liver. in australia we have a service called genesfx.com but I am sure there are numerous pharmacogenomic clinics where you live. It is not well promoted by ROCHE developed original test over 10 years ago.

hope this helps,

ps get tested by your doctor for magnesium, vitamin D and zinc deficiencies sometimes moods are driven by deficiencies in these areas and the cures are lot safer and effective.
peacemotivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

There's a difference between allergies (hives sound like allergies) vs side effects. Defective enzymes would not be an allergy.

With hives in reaction to so many different meds, you have to wonder if you're allergic to something else that's just along for the ride. Capsule, filler, coloring, etc.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-21-2009 at 07:53 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 151/143/125

Height: 5ft 5"

Post Wellbutrin Allergy

I have been on a range (15+) of anti-depressants and never had any specific allergic reactions (just the usual side-effects) until I tried Wellbutrin (Zyban). Within 24hrs I had developed a severe raised rash which spread over my entire body (even my face - really embarrassing). My doctor explained that not only can you be allergic to the specific anti-depressant but also sometimes to the colouring or other additives in the tablets.

I hope you find one that agrees with you.
SpinyNorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

What about a liquid anti depressant (just throwing that one out there).
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I have the same reaction to zoloft - hives. I'm ok on lexapro, but if you are looking for something non-pharmaceutical I have had limited success with kava. I got it in a tincture at a health food store. Made me tired but serene. Good luck to you, I can definitely sympathize. After my reaction to zoloft it was over a year before I decided to try again with the meds.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #12  

I know this is an old post but I cant figure out how to send a personal message. Did you ever find a med that didnt give you hives? I cannot find one that doesnt cause me to have the head to toe hives, itchy in my ears and throat etc.
shellcat is offline   Reply With Quote