Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Default Bistro MD buddies?

Hey is anyone else on here doing Bistro MD and interested in being diet buddies?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I was just curious and was wondering how you like the food? I've done Jenny Craig before and the food was so so to me mostly the lunches and dinners.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

The food is ok, some of the breakfast have disappointed me. It's way better than nutrisystem, and is actually the lunches and dinners are very good better than i might cook for myself. The snacks are pretty artificial but they are filling. If you don't want/can't/short on time its an easy way be on a diet. however I am hoping find someone who is also on to help keep each other on track.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'6"

Default start Bistro MD this week

I have ordered two weeks of the Bistro MD food and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. For those of you who have tried it, is it worth the money? How much did you loose the first week?
I tried Nutri Systems last year but was not satisfied with the quality of the food for the price. Hopefully the Bistro plan will be better.
Any thought about the plan will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mila
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #5  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacamila View Post
I have ordered two weeks of the Bistro MD food and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. For those of you who have tried it, is it worth the money? How much did you loose the first week?
I tried Nutri Systems last year but was not satisfied with the quality of the food for the price. Hopefully the Bistro plan will be better.
Any thought about the plan will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mila
any update on your thoughts with them?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #6  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstartgradstudent View Post
Hey is anyone else on here doing Bistro MD and interested in being diet buddies?
Hi. I'm new here (this is my first post), and new to BistroMD. I know this original post is fairly old, but I'm hoping there are some people on this plan who would still want to chat.

I just got my first shipment yesterday, and I have to say that so far, I'm impressed. I had some problems with the service as far as ordering went (no confirmation email, no response to emailed inquiries, answers not easily found on their site), but after calling and speaking with customer service, all is well. I just ate my third meal, and I'm liking the food.

Carol
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #7  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie3146 View Post
Hi. I'm new here (this is my first post), and new to BistroMD. I know this original post is fairly old, but I'm hoping there are some people on this plan who would still want to chat.

I just got my first shipment yesterday, and I have to say that so far, I'm impressed. I had some problems with the service as far as ordering went (no confirmation email, no response to emailed inquiries, answers not easily found on their site), but after calling and speaking with customer service, all is well. I just ate my third meal, and I'm liking the food.

Carol
Hi Carol,

I'm on Week 18 of BistroMD and you can see a buttload of my posts here if you click on my profile and then choose "view all posts." Obviously, I've had my share of issues with BistroMD getting my orders right (although, I do have my own "issues" I bring to the table, being sensitive to wheat gluten, which is not something they specialize in dealing with) but I've also been very pleased with the "pound a week" loss--even with having meals off-plan and continuing to drink alcohol more than I should and absolutely not upping my exercise as much as I should, etc.

So, I'm a big fan, obviously. I love the taste of the food. I love the variety I have (even though I only get 30% of the BistroMD food options, due to my wheat issues). And I'm pleased with how easy it is and I know I'll be in a MUCH better place a year from now... and that's a huge deal for me.

I'm bummed you've had a hard time getting your emails answered. Maybe it depends on who your assigned CSR is. Mine, if she doesn't hear from me with a "problem" every two weeks or so, shoots me an email just to ask me how it's going. I love her!!!!!!!

Good luck on your journey and I'm happy to join you here in a regular "check in, chat" thread, if you'd like. Heck, maybe I'll get off my *** and exercise more and drink less if I know I have someone doing the plan with me, and feel accountable because of it. Worth a shot!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #8  
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of grace View Post
Obviously, I've had my share of issues with BistroMD getting my orders right (although, I do have my own "issues" I bring to the table, being sensitive to wheat gluten, which is not something they specialize in dealing with) but I've also been very pleased with the "pound a week" loss--even with having meals off-plan and continuing to drink alcohol more than I should and absolutely not upping my exercise as much as I should, etc.

I'm bummed you've had a hard time getting your emails answered. Maybe it depends on who your assigned CSR is. Mine, if she doesn't hear from me with a "problem" every two weeks or so, shoots me an email just to ask me how it's going. I love her!!!!!!!
Hi! Nice to meet you. I have read quite a few of your posts previously. I also have issues - I can't process Nutrasweet or Splenda! So they are making substitutions for me too (but I did find a few things with those ingrediants in my first shipment!). It seems to affect mostly the snacks. I read the menu and was all psyched, and then I got a box full of puffs and protein chips! LOL! But even those are pretty good.

Assigned CSR? I haven't heard anything about that yet. This is my first week, so maybe it's something that comes later? I don't know. I've had to call them several times, but they haven't said anything about it.

Anyway, I do like the food a LOT more than I expected, and I'm a pretty picky eater. The only thing I just couldn't bring myself to eat after I heated it was some fish (blackened tilapia). I ate the veggies and tossed the fish. Everything else has been pretty good. It's easy for me, especially for dinners and weekend meals, since I don't cook anyway.

Are you eating the meals pretty-much three times a day?

Last edited by Carrie3146; 06-17-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #9  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
I can't process Nutrasweet or Splenda! So they are making substitutions for me too (but I did find a few things with those ingrediants in my first shipment!).
Yeah, I find a few gluten-containing items in my shipments from time to time (more in the beginning than now; we seem to have it "down" now, but every now and then, something will slip by them and into my shipment by mistake). But I found that if I stayed on top of my label-reading, I could keep myself from getting sick. I just gave away the food that contained gluten and asked BistroMD to credit me for the item(s) they sent that I could not eat. They have ALWAYS been prompt and courteous about getting my credit issued. I do love that customer service!!

Quote:
Assigned CSR? I haven't heard anything about that yet. This is my first week, so maybe it's something that comes later? I don't know. I've had to call them several times, but they haven't said anything about it.
Maybe it's not so much that they assigned someone to me--I just assumed that's what happened, since she stays in touch and checks in on me from time to time.

I sent an email to BistroMD asking about food allergies and substitutions and the CSR (customer service rep) who replied has been with me since BEFORE I even was a customer. She's really awesome. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw on who answered my email when it came in, but I figured she was "assigned" me as a customer to check on, since we started out together before I even signed up.

Maybe shoot an email to the company through the website and say you're looking for email-based support as well as the ability to call in and get help. Maybe you'll end up with a great one too! I really like being able to shoot her an email with my concerns or questions and it's super nice that she seems to care about my progress along the way. Maybe I just lucked out and it's not really a "part" of the program. Not sure!!

Quote:
I do like the food a LOT more than I expected, and I'm a pretty picky eater.
Ditto that! I was very pleased with how yummy everything (almost everything, that is) was/is and the fact that I still enjoy it 17.5 weeks into the program is really saying something! (Especially considering I get the exact same menu every week. Not a lot of variety, gluten-free.)

Quote:
The only thing I just couldn't bring myself to eat after I heated it was some fish (blackened tilapia). I ate the veggies and tossed the fish. Everything else has been pretty good.
I actually bought some tartar sauce and, for 90 calories per serving of 2T., I coat that sucker DOWN with that yummy stuff and it's *totally* edible! I really look forward to it when I'm craving salty tangy stuff (the tartar sauce) and when I realized it only boosted me by 90 calories, I decided that I could tolerate the otherwise plain fish.

Quote:
It's easy for me, especially for dinners and weekend meals, since I don't cook anyway.
Me too. I don't cook at all, so I was all about the drive-thru and the take-out and the convenience of pre-packaged stuff at the market. This is much closer to "home cooked meals" than anything I would ever do on my own, and I find that to be a big help.

Quote:
Are you eating the meals pretty-much three times a day?
I recently switched from the seven days with snacks plan to the five days with no snacks plan (mainly because I had missed so many meals here and there due to going out to eat or choosing to snack at the movies and therefore not eat my assigned snacks for that day, etc.), so I'm having to trust myself a bit more than before, but YES. YES is the answer to your question, pretty much.

I like to save breakfast for dinner (I know, I'm weird), so I start my day with one of the meals (usually a pork dish, as they're the more substantial) and then I have a poultry or fish dish for lunch. I'll have two snacks together, mid-day, and then at night I'll have my cocoa and oatmeal with berries (or a muffin). That seems to work pretty well for me, when I stick to it.

When I *don't* stick to it, it works well because I can "flip" a meal--like if I know I'll be going out to dinner that night with a client, I won't eat the lunch meal. I'll eat the breakfast (lower calorie but still high-protein) meal and then "bank" the calories the snacks would've been, plus that meal, and make sure I don't go over that caloric level for dinner out.

Obviously, that sort of thing is part of why I'm only losing a pound per week, on average, but it works for me (because I never feel deprived and I don't have these wild, rebellious binges to make up for having been so strict every day, which has happened to me on other diets). So, I figure if I learn what's "appropriate" to eat (both in terms of calories and portion size), I can make pretty good choices that keep me on track over the course of each week.

I have to tell you, Carrie, I think you're good for me.

Because I knew I would come check in tonight at this thread (with my new BistroMD "buddy"), I had a 100% day. I didn't have one bite off-plan!! And it's been awhile since I've been able to say that. So, thank you for being a good influence, just by having posted to this thread the other day.

I'll take whatever incentive I can get, some days!!

Here's hoping tomorrow is another 100% day. Wish me luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #10  
Starting Over

Well, I do wish you luck for another good day tomorrow! I actually had my first lunch out with a friend since I started dieting, and I did pretty well - had only a salad.

Have to say, I'm a liitle bit annoyed with BMD right now though. I came home and found my second receipt email of the week, and found that I had been charged for the second time this week too. So I've now been charged for three weeks of food, and I've only received one week of meals. In addition I received a FedEx tracking number on Monday saying I'd be getting a delivery today. No delivery, and that tracking number has never been updated beyond "information transmitted to FedEx." And twice now, I've been promised that I would receive an email with detailed menu and ingredient info from their (I think) dietician, and I haven't received anything. And of course, they only have anyone who can help you between 9-5, so I can't even call to straighten it out until tomorrow.

I will call tomorrow, and hopefully work it all out. I'd really like to keep going with them. But as much as you love their customer service, I'm just having a really bad experience with them. Normally I would not continue doing business with a company if I had this many issues with them at the start. But I'm really liking the food and the convenience, and I'm afraid I won't find anything else that I can stick to!

Sorry to vent! I'm just feeling very frustrated tonight, because I really want this to work!

Thanks for listening. Hopefully I will be a better cheerleader tomorrow!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #11  

hey ladies, I am thinking about BistroMD, is it really has good as y'all are saying. I was on DTG, but I wasn't losing any weight, so I need a new plan
Old 06-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #12  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, I do wish you luck for another good day tomorrow! I actually had my first lunch out with a friend since I started dieting, and I did pretty well - had only a salad.
Thanks! And good for you!! That's awesome! Dinner out is a big hurdle when you're doing home-delivery dieting. It's nice to be able to face the challenge and not let it throw you off-kilter. Woo! Go, you!

Quote:
Have to say, I'm a liitle bit annoyed with BMD right now though. I came home and found my second receipt email of the week, and found that I had been charged for the second time this week too. So I've now been charged for three weeks of food, and I've only received one week of meals.
Actually, I think that's how the timing works. I was billed for my first shipment on 2/4/08, my second shipment on 2/11/08, and my third shipment on 2/18/08. And as of 2/18/08, I had only received ONE shipment--and that was on 2/15/08. But that's the timing of the ordering system. You have to pay for the order that will ship out on a Monday for delivery on a Friday... and since I made my first order after the deadline for *that* Friday, it had me cycled out to be billed way before most of my food arrived.

Now that I've been on the program for months, I can see how it all works out, and whenever I decide to cancel my service, I'll still have another week or two of pre-paid food coming.

But I think if you do the math and check the calendar, you'll see (likely--don't want to assume your situation is exactly the same as mine) that you are right on target for having paid for the orders that are scheduled to come in accordance with their drop-dead date for billing/changes and shipments.

Quote:
In addition I received a FedEx tracking number on Monday saying I'd be getting a delivery today. No delivery, and that tracking number has never been updated beyond "information transmitted to FedEx."
I've had to keep an eye on the FedEx tracker too, but only two times has it been "wrong." And if I noticed it wasn't budging beyond that initial scan, I shot an email to my CSR and she made sure a new shipment was expressed out *that day* for me to receive on schedule or just one day off. And, once you've had more than a week or two of the food delivered, a day "off" from the schedule doesn't mess you up, because there's still food in your fridge and cupboard (or at least that's how it stacked up here).

Anyway, it's only been twice in 18 weeks of delivery that I've had to check in with BistroMD about a non-moving FedEx tracker. And both times, they've worked it all out with no problems.

Of course, I know that might not make you feel better--and believe me, if you see my blog posts from February and early March, you'll see that I was having my share of issues with BistroMD when we started up together as well--but they do eventually get things straightened out and it just FEELS like it's all messed up in the beginning.

And from what I've read, there is NO home delivery service out there that is 100% problem-free, in this area. ALL of them have delivery mistakes, billing mistakes, shipment contents mistakes, you name it! So, for me, the fact that BistroMD has made *every mistake RIGHT* and *very promptly* is enough to keep me happy. Because it looks to me like NONE of them are mistake-free companies.

Quote:
And twice now, I've been promised that I would receive an email with detailed menu and ingredient info from their (I think) dietician, and I haven't received anything.
Have you requested this via email? I've found that the email CSRs and phone-based CSRs are not in the same "class," if that makes sense. (Heck, they may not even be in the same building or in the same state, for that matter.) But I've always found that if I ask for something via email, I'll get it. And if I ask for something via phone, I always have to follow up via email to be SURE I get it. I think their phone volume is just very high and perhaps the more detail-oriented CSRs have the cushy email-based support jobs.

Just a theory!

I received that detailed ingredient list in several different formats even before my first shipment arrived, but I requested it via email and that's how it arrived. I never asked anyone via phone, which is why I'm suggesting maybe you try the email request thing too. Worth a shot!

Quote:
And of course, they only have anyone who can help you between 9-5, so I can't even call to straighten it out until tomorrow.
Another point in favor of the email, if you ask me. But... I've called them on weekends and after hours (and I'm on the west coast, so I've called at like 4pm here which would be 7pm in their offices) and reached people, so maybe I've just been really lucky.

I'm sorry. It probably sounds like I'm trying to talk you into loving them when you clearly don't love them. I guess I'm just hoping you'll stick it out because I know that ALL of these diet plans are hard and losing weight is so tough as it is and because BistroMD has been both yummy and *great* with customer service for me (not to mention, effective for losing weight so far), that I'm just glad that *I* stuck it out all of the times when I really, really, really wanted to tell them to just jump in the lake and then take my business elsewhere.

Quote:
I will call tomorrow, and hopefully work it all out. I'd really like to keep going with them. But as much as you love their customer service, I'm just having a really bad experience with them. Normally I would not continue doing business with a company if I had this many issues with them at the start. But I'm really liking the food and the convenience, and I'm afraid I won't find anything else that I can stick to!

Sorry to vent! I'm just feeling very frustrated tonight, because I really want this to work!

Thanks for listening. Hopefully I will be a better cheerleader tomorrow!
Hey, I totally understand! And that's what "diet buddies" are for, right? We're here when times are good and when times are bad. If we were only fair-weathered friends, we'd be the worst support group ever. And I know I will need to lean on you sometimes too, so it's absolutely not a problem for me to offer a shoulder if you need one from me!

I just wish you were having a better experience.

Hopefully it will improve for you, and VERY soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseybaby View Post
hey ladies, I am thinking about BistroMD, is it really has good as y'all are saying. I was on DTG, but I wasn't losing any weight, so I need a new plan
Well, I sure as heck love BistroMD (clearly) or else I wouldn't have stayed on it for 18 weeks so far... and spent thousands of dollars *gulp* doing so. So, obviously, I love it and feel that it's working for me, albeit slowly (through no fault of the plan--simply because I am not following it to the letter nor am I exercising like I should).

I'm one of those, "If I can't stick to it for life, I'll never succeed at this" types. So, for me, I knew when I signed up for it that I'd be doing it for most of the year. And, yup, I'm right on schedule to be doing this all year and reaching my goal by then for sure, at this rate. Fair enough. I can do that and, hopefully, over that time also really re-work some habits.

I already know much better what size my portions should be, how much proteins to carbs to fats I should eat, what an average day's caloric intake should feel like, etc. And I really do enjoy the food, which is primary for me. If I'm not enjoying what I'm eating, I'm not going to stick to anything. So, the fact that I'm sticking to this for 18 weeks and counting is a huge comment on how "it's working" for me.

Slowly... but in the right direction every day. I'll take it!

Hope this helps! Good luck in your decision. I've learned (mostly through reading) that none of these home-delivery programs is perfect and everyone has a favorite, based on his or her needs. This is the one that seems to work best for me, so I'm glad I chose it. But who knows! Maybe one of the other plans would've worked for me too! (I just couldn't get any of the other companies to answer my pre-starting questions about gluten content. So, BistroMD won my business by default. They were the only ones who worked to GET ME to be a customer, before I even was one. That said a lot to me about how their service would be.)

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #13  
Starting Over

Quote:
Actually, I think that's how the timing works. I was billed for my first shipment on 2/4/08, my second shipment on 2/11/08, and my third shipment on 2/18/08. And as of 2/18/08, I had only received ONE shipment--and that was on 2/15/08. But that's the timing of the ordering system. You have to pay for the order that will ship out on a Monday for delivery on a Friday... and since I made my first order after the deadline for *that* Friday, it had me cycled out to be billed way before most of my food arrived.
Thanks for explaining. This is pretty-much what they told me yesterday too. Apparently the charges go through on Wednesdays for the following week's delivery. Unfortunately I've just confused myself again with the cancellation/change policy, which I thought I got yesterday...but I THINK I'm OK with it all again.

They couldn't quite explain the FedEx thing. I'm guessing it was simply sent too early.

Quote:
Have you requested this via email? I've found that the email CSRs and phone-based CSRs are not in the same "class," if that makes sense. (Heck, they may not even be in the same building or in the same state, for that matter.) But I've always found that if I ask for something via email, I'll get it. And if I ask for something via phone, I always have to follow up via email to be SURE I get it. I think their phone volume is just very high and perhaps the more detail-oriented CSRs have the cushy email-based support jobs. .
I got the feeling from my ordering experience that they just weren't good with the email. My original emails were never answered, and their website isn't really set up to let you handle everything online. You can make your first order, but...the FAQs are not up to date (much of the info has their old name - not sure how long ago they changed it!),and there's no easy way to really manage your info online that I can see. You can't even cancel or change your plan online - you have to call.

I guess many (maybe most!) people would be more comfortable with that - speaking with a live person, etc. Some people still don't feel comfortable shopping online. But I feel like, Hello! It's 2008! They need to realize that many people are going to find them online, and then find it very frustrating when most of their transactions and business can't be handled that way.

Quote:
I received that detailed ingredient list in several different formats even before my first shipment arrived, but I requested it via email and that's how it arrived. I never asked anyone via phone, which is why I'm suggesting maybe you try the email request thing too. Worth a shot!.
I didn't actually ask them for this info - they offered it! And when I called with questions after my order arrived, they said "Didn't you get an email from our dietician with your menu & ingredients?" I got the impression that it had actually been requested on their end (and they could see that info in my record)..but I never got it. And the second person said she would request it again, and again, I never got it.

I'm not trying to knock them here, though it feels like that's what I'm sounding like. I do feel like the phone reps I've spoken to have gotten me some answers, and have genuinely tried to help. Maybe they are growing too quickly, or the person who was supposed to send me the info was having a bad week. Whatever. I am still wanting to stick with them. I just feel like there's a lot that could be improved there if I've had this many issues when, as of today, I've been on the plan for one week!

Quote:
I've called them on weekends and after hours (and I'm on the west coast, so I've called at like 4pm here which would be 7pm in their offices) and reached people, so maybe I've just been really lucky..
There are people to take orders. But if you have a detailed question or problem, they say you have to speak to Customer Service, who are only in from 9-5 EST. They offer to leave a message, which I have not done.

Quote:
Hey, I totally understand! And that's what "diet buddies" are for, right? We're here when times are good and when times are bad. If we were only fair-weathered friends, we'd be the worst support group ever. And I know I will need to lean on you sometimes too, so it's absolutely not a problem for me to offer a shoulder if you need one from me!.
Thanks very much! I appreciate that a LOT! And likewise, if you need to vent, fire away!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #14  
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseybaby View Post
Hi Oseybaby.

As you can see from my previous two posts, I've had some Customer Service-type issues. But as far as the food goes, after one week, I am impressed with it. The portions are bigger than I was expecting, and they taste pretty good. It comes frozen...you get your first box, and there are about 15 large plastic bags inside (on the 5-day plan). Each bag has a full meal, usually an entree and two differrent sides for lunches and dinners. Those three "pieces" are in individual pouches (I guess you would call them "vacuum-sealed" maybe?) as opposed to a single "tray" like a typical Lean Cuisine-type of meal you'd buy in a supermarket. And those get microwaved (or boiled).

The breakfasts have been OK..I wouldn't rave about them, and some of those seem kind-of small. But the lunches and dinners have been really good. They taste much more like "real food" than something out of a pouch in the freezer. And there's a lot of flavor so you don't feel like you're missing out. The sides are mostly veggies so far. There were none in my first week with anything like potatoes or pasta or rice. So that's a big adjustment for me, but...I'm definitely losing weight.

For the snacks, I can't have artificial sweeteners, so I didn't get all the shakes and pastries...I got mostly soy chips and various-flavored puffs (barbeque, sour cream & onion, nacho...). They actually taste good, and are surprisingly filling. I've been sharing them with a co-worker who's not on a diet, and she's liked them too.

I hope that's helpful. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #15  
Starting Over

Quote:
The sides are mostly veggies so far. There were none in my first week with anything like potatoes or pasta or rice. So that's a big adjustment for me, but...I'm definitely losing weight.
Figured I should make a note since I got my second shipment today, and some of the sides this week include wild rice, brown rice and even potatoes (some part of my insides is doing a very happy dance!). So maybe they try to "train" your body a bit the first week.
Closed Thread