Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #1  
Just Starting Out

S/C/G: 303.4/252.6/175

Height: 5'5"

Default So, The Haterade Begins...

My boss (who is about the same size as I was when I started losing) just stopped me and said, "How much weight have you lost this week?"

I told her: 4 pounds.

She said, "So, how much is that?"

I said: 25 pounds, total.

She said, "That's a lot to lose in 5 weeks, a lot. The problem is going to be maintaining, you know. You get that weight off fast and then you can't maintain it."

Grrrr!!!!

What do you say to something like that? I know it's hard to maintain a weight loss, but does that mean I should just stay fat? I've lost 25 pounds (once) before doing WW and it took me 6 months to lose it and I gained it back within 2-3 months! It's not about how much weight you lose, how fast you lose it or anything like that. It's about what you eat, how much of it you eat and how much you move. End of story! Who is she, having never lost a pound in her life, to question me and discourage me?

I guess I just needed to vent!
peachinabrownbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Lol if she were my friend I'd have said "how's that haterade tasting today?"

I'd have said "no actually it's not a lot considering my starting weight, and I'm not worried about mainting because I'm not on a diet, I'm on a lifestyle change."

Seriously people just blurt without thinking!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Ugh. I hate that!

I recently had a friend (who is my WW buddy and she got me started there) say recently that "its easy to lose weight, anybody can do that. The real hard thing is maintaining weight".

This is a person that is at goal weight and is a runner. She didn't say this directly to me, but it still was hurtful.

Its like she minimized the achievement of other people's weight loss so that she can say how she has it so much worse being at maintenance.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry that happened. Some people can be so rude. She was jelous. I would simply advoid her as much as you can, and keep it just business. You hand in there, you are doing a fantastic job!D
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

You're doing great! And I agree with beerab...when someone says that to me, "oh be careful, you don't want to lose too much too fast", I just say that I'm watching my calorie intake with my activity levels, so I'm not losing too fast, and I'm not feeling deprived. I feel great, actually. And I know I can't expect rapid weight loss every week, but this is a great jumpstart and I'm thrilled about it.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286.6/273.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, ole girl is jealous. Just keep it business like with her and next time she asks about your weight loss, tell her you'd like to keep that side of your life personal and don't feel it's professional to discuss it at work.
SweetMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I agree with SweetMama...she's jealous, or self-concious or whatever that she's not doing what you're doing. She probably feels bad that she can't commit to losing weight, whereas you've made amazing progress!

Glad you vented, because then when others experiance the same thing, we won't feel alone!

Regardless of what she says, good job!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sometimes people are being passive-aggressive, and sometimes they're just talking because they like to talk and don't think first, and sometimes they're just projecting their own fears onto you. What you need is an answer to deflects them (doesn't drag you down into explaining yourself) and keeps it from getting to you (so you're not still thinking about hours later, when he's forgotten about it).

Kira has good advice: answer everything with "You're probably right," or "I know! It's crazy!" You agree with them, and then keep doing whatever you want to do. It's hard at first because you feel wronged and like you have a right to defend yourself. But most of the time, it's a battle you can't win. You can't logic people out of their illogical issues. But you find that if you try it a few times and let it go, you realize it doesn't have to get under your skin. Because how unfair is that?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #9  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

dont say anything...just lose the weight and keep it off...she pretty much hopes you fail....YOU WIN!!!
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Since she's your boss, I'd just say, "Thanks for the tip," and go on with my work.

You don't need to discuss your weight loss with your boss, BTW, but since you have been, you kinda have to be prepared for the questions.

Just stay on your path and let it all slide off... brush it off those shoulders...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you already got good advice, so I'll just add my geez louise that you had to experience that kind of denseness or whatever it was. Bask in the well earned success of your 25 lb loss! yeah!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Oh! I'm so sorry that you had this encounter.

I've got to tell you that dealing with people and the senseless remarks they make when they notice my wt loss is the very worst thing in the world for me to deal with. Somedays they come at you from every side. You get to see other peoples emotional baggage--no thanks -full up with crazy today, don't need yours too! You get to hear what people really thought of you all along or why they don't understand how people get fat in the first place. Backhanded compliments like "Oh, you don't look as fat in that outfit!" Uhhhh, thanks???

Sorry for the tirade. Now you've had to deal with MY emotional baggage--sorry!

It's hard. I have no good advice just tons of sympathy. Thank God for this sight and those that understand and have our back!

Last edited by ANewCreation; 08-03-2009 at 03:14 PM.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Boy, that is frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that. It happens, though.

My boss has been awesome. HE told me that if I ever need encouragement or feel like giving up, I needed to come to him. He would straighten me out. Ok, I will keep going!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #14  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

What an ignoramous, seriously. Why can't people learn if they don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all....errrrggg.

Use it as motivation to propell you forward. If she brings it up up again, I would say, "I prefer not to discuss this."--then walk away.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Going to play the devil's advocate here but might your boss be worried about your health? 4lbs is a lot for a week but not unheard of. One of my coworkers did awful things to his body in order to lose 10 lbs in a week once and could very easily have seriously hurt himself. He gained most of it back the following week but at that point he was happy. Congrats on the loss though!
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote