Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Hypothyroid issues

Hi everyone, I'm new to 3 Fat Chicks and I am hoping for some support. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for years now and have almost given up on trying to lose weight. I've had so many doctors switching my dosages until recently they almost overdosed me. You would think that would make me lose weight, but of course it did the opposite. Now I have been put on a new dose and hopefully it's the proper one, so I'm ready to try again. I've lost the battle of the bulge so many times I'm afraid to even start again. I've pretty much tried every diet out there, WW, Atkins, South Beach, Nutrisystem and nothing seems to work. I'm hoping there are other hypothyroid gals out there who can help me get started and give me hope that I can lose weight even with this condition.
matildah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Matildah:

Welcome aboard. I am also fairly new to 3FC. Like you, I have also been diagnosed as hypothyroid. It is an obstacle to weight loss, for sure, but hopefully now that you have a new dose of meds, you will be stabilized a bit. You can lose weight even if you are hypothroid; it just may take a little longer than if you didn't have the disease. I have seen diet plans for people that are hypothroid (there is an interesting book out that I recently saw at Barnes and Noble), but I am not currently following one of those plans myself.

One thing that I have found useful is to educate myself as much as possible regarding the disease. For example, I love soy milk and was using it exclusively for about 2 months until I discovered it could have a negative interaction with my medication, so I stopped using it entirely and now I avoid soy. Also, I have read articles about other foods not to eat because they can negatively interact with your thyroid and/or the medication (one of the articles was even posted on 3FC). I think if you are armed with knowledge, it makes a big difference.

In any event, welcome aboard. Hang in there! You can and will lose weight.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 08-03-2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

P.S. Matildah, I just did a little poking around and there are several interesting strings on hypothyroidism in this section, if you haven't already read them.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much for the support! Interesting about the interactions with soy and other foods. I think I should look into that. I'll check out the other posts you were talking about. Thanks again and good luck to you too!
matildah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #5  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroid, a degenerating thyroid disease that makes my thyroid go from hypo to hyper even if I don't change my meds. I won't say it's easy to lose when you are hypo but I can say it's definitely possible. We just have to be much more strict with our calories counted as well as the amount of exercise we do. I know you mentioned being on a bunch of different programs, but I'm not sure how long you stayed with them. I know for me I have to stick with something for a least 2-4 weeks before I notice any changes at all.

The best advice I can give is to find a program that you know you can stick to long term. I know it helps me if I think of this as a change of my lifestyle because if I start thinking "diet" I start feeling restricted and usually that just screws everything up for me. I'm a calorie counter and I average about 1700/day. To date, I've lost 16lbs in about 8 weeks (although I'm up right now do to TOM).

So can you lose weight being hypo? Yes, absolutely. But it does take some hard work & discipline. Best of luck.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #6  

Hi Matildah,

I also have the same condition ( just found out about it about a year ago) but my Dr. gives me a non synthetic form of Thyroid Meds because according to him, synthetic forms do not do the job. I did have to have my medicine adjusted once, but we are still monitoring it.

I did some research on this condition and 1 thing I did find interesting is adding exercise (cardio+ weight) is the best form of exercise for those with hypothyroidism. So I started using The Firm DVD Series and started seeing some results!! I used to use The Firm after I had my first child (and loved it)and fell off the wagon because I was feeling so "out of it". I would highly recommend their program.

My doctor suggested going on the South Beach Diet for me and my husband, which we have been on for three weeks. We also started the PX90 workouts (they have a Lean Program), I am really starting to see improvement, which really makes me happy, because not only do I have thyroid issues I'm in my 40's. I really thought I had alot against me. I have lost almost 20 pounds and I am losing inches every week.

I also want to encourage you to not give up! I know it's an uphill battle, but just keeping going, eventually you'll make it to the top.
glowchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Glowchick - sounds like you have a good doctor

Just wanted to mention that if anyone is having trouble finding their natural thyroid meds right now, meds like Armour Thyroid, Naturethroid and Westhroid, then please check out the info at www.savenaturalthyroid.com

or also check out all the good discussion at the facebook page by the same name.

or holler at me.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote