Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default AUGUST - The month of 500 push ups and 500 pull ups

Good morning dear chickies,

I jumped out of bed because I realized I finally may have a chance to start a new thread - I was so close at the beginning of July but Mel beat me to it.

I really wanted to scream in the title PLEASE STOP THE CLOCK I DON'T WANT TO TURN 50!!! but that would not be very exercise related.
Ok, so I am going to spit into my hands, put the Chest & Back DVD in and see how much closer I get to the 500 above-mentioned.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #2  
Mel

Congratulations, Alena! OK, let's have a push up and pull up month

Let us know the day, Alena, and we'll do the Filthy Fifty Workout for you! (or die trying). I managed 50 pushups on my 50th birthday, but 50 pull ups (at once) is waaaaay more than I have in me now.

Off to the gym,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #3  
No description available.

I thought a good thread title would be "WTF? It's August?" This year is going by too quickly!!

Pushup, pull up month? Sounds FUN! Okay, not really....but!

What's the plan? When's the b-day, Tomato?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Alena: I really wanted to avoid reading this thread. My thought was who in their right mind would want to incorporate these many push/pulls. Then I saw your name, groaned and said "Oh all right..." I'll give it a go. I kind of miss the mass from my biceps these days anyway. (grumbling and still muttering that the degeneration of my biceps began the day I stopped doing bicep curls as an isolation exercise as suggested by oh I don't know...just about everyone! I'm bringing them back foolish or not.

Okay. So what's the plan here. Details. How many reps and sets in the workout are you ladies doing?

Oh, and Alena, only because it's your upcoming 50th.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #5  
Let's salsa!

Ha, Lydia, you could NOT possibly avoid us for an entire month? With your sporadic postings of lately, we miss you terribly!
Who cares about the name of the thread (though I thought it's not THAT bad personally, LOL). We can tally everything up at the end of the month.

Midwife, I don't know what the plan is. Mel came up with Filthy Fifty Work out - I have no idea what it consists of so we will have ak Mel to unveil it. By the way, my birthday is on the 9th, a week from today. Oh and it's Beetle Bug's birthday, too, we share our birthday. Obviously, she was meant to be my dog.

I don't know how many pull ups I did yesterday - I did write each exercise down but didn't tally them up. Less than last week because I switched to heavier band (Very Heavy - I found out, when I stopped at the store, that there is 5 levels actually: Light, Medium, Heavy, Very Heavy and Ultra Heavy).
I did less because with the heavier band it takes a bit longer. I will have to figure out something so that I can install a real pull bar somewhere, I have the contraption that fits into the door frame but doorways are kinda low (from my viewpoint) - I miss my old house with 9' ceilings.

All right, time to do plyo - Shannon, I will be thinking of you!

Oh, and by the way, did I mention that this is a long weekend in Canada? No work tomorrow, woohoo!

Everybody, have a nice Sunday!

Pat - do you still have any space in the freezer or is it full of salmon?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #6  
Mel

The Filthy 50:

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

Bring your own oxygen and aed
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

500. That comes out to 16/day and since we don't work the same body part each day it's more like 32 every other day.

Okay. So let's say three sets of ten worked into our programming, or ten sets of three or any other kind of mix here.

I think my last four pullups will have to be assisted though. Strained tendon in the bicep is healing but not completely yet. Pushups I can do!

Looks like I'm going to have to get busy today!

Mel, I just saw your post. Let me rethink this.

Last edited by Lydia227; 08-02-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #8  
Let's salsa!

Ok, Lydia. Modify as you see fit. You are behind on reading so I have to state again that I am not doing real push ups. Still trying to work up to those. I think you missed the earlier post when I said with Gravitron, it would be a 9 month pregnancy. Anyway. I am using the band kneeling on the floor. So that makes the 500 a lot more digestible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The Filthy 50:

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

Bring your own oxygen and aed
I am not quite sure what all of these are, will have to look them up. Can I do 100 knees to elbows and take out something else? LOL For some reason, knees to elbows are really easy for me.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I'm late, I missed this thread yesterday!!

I won't be doing real pullups but I'll do my modified ones

We went kayaking yesterday then went to visit the inlaws to pick up the kitties and have dinner. My inlaws are trying to lose weight and they've done a good job so far in changing their diet. They wanted to give us their junk food though so we could take it. DH will take it to work on Monday but I much rather just see it go in the trash...

Today is rainy, stormy, etc. No biking, no kayaking, what will I do? I guess an indoor workout will have to do.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Alena, I bet there's a video of the Filthy 50 workout, let me see...
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ilthyFifty.wmv

Mel, I'm pretending I didn't hear you say we'd do that for her birthday! Okay, I'll do it if you do it, but I'm gonna whine about the frickin' burpees!

Strongman competition was yesterday. I spent the day taking pics, and that was fun, since I got to be up close and personal to the athletes on all the events. I'm definitely doing it myself next year...it looked like a lot of fun!

Today is rest day, so I'll just be doing housework and yardwork and such, plus some planning for the upcoming homeschool year. Hope you're all enjoying your weekend!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

OH-MY-GOD!!!

And naively thought Mel just came up with exercises. I shudda known. Geez, that IS filthy! Yikes! That will the cherry on top of my virtual cake.
Of course, I am taking back my statement that knees to elbows are easy. I was talking about something completely different.
Mel, Mel. YOU ARE EVIL!!!
LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #12  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

hiiiiii Just peeking in here. Errr.. hope to be able to do all that someday. So do you pick something to do for how many years old you are in your birth month? It sounds like a fun challenge.

Uhhh.. need to leave this thread before I get weak in the knees. LOL! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

LOL! No, Bingo Wings, don't run! This is just our monthly chat thread for peeps that like weight lifting. Mel and I have been doing Crossfit for a few months, and clearly, it has just driven Mel bonkers...it happens. As for the thread title, Alena has started the P90X, which has a ton of push-ups and pull-ups and such, so I think that's what that's about. Please do stick around for the chatting. All are welcome, whether you are just looking into lifting or have been at it for years.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-02-2009 at 03:55 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #14  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

OHHHhhhh.. I get it now. LOL! You know, after posting that I got some crazy thinkin' goin on - like.. what if the unwritten rule was that if you post in that thread you have to do it. I had a pretty good laugh goin on in my head picturing myself trying to sweat through the Filthy 50 at my current size. I bet you can't tell I am a newbie in this forum.

Wow.. P90X.. in 100 lbs that baby is MINE. I mean it, too - I will *own* that thing. I'll have it, too. Okay, maybe in 150 pounds. But I will! My inner athlete is rearing its head. Alena - I bow to your awesome P90X'edness. You are rockin' it.

OMG no one told me Mel was bonkers. I hope she doesn't mind us talking about it in front of her.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #15  
Mel

Who is talking about me???? My ears are burning

Tomorrow's CF workout actually is the Filthy Fifty. Unfortunately, I have to take the kitten to the vet after work and will miss it. Shucks.

Monday is usually heavy leg day for me at the traditional gym anyway.

Bingo- Don't run in fear. Cheryl started the craziness. We do all wort of stuff here. I think Cheryl and I are probably the lunatic fringe.

Food on track through the weekend!!