Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

Exclamation VACATION & BIRTHDAY.... Help!

Hello Ladies!!

I am only in week three of dieting and I had lost 9 lbs!!

NOW, I am on vacation in the out skirts of Nebraska. Land of fast food, fried food, burritos and bbq. I have for the most part done a fairly good job saying no and eating my own food I packed in with me other than a handful of nibbs candy last night. Its just so hard.

With my birthday and a huge BBQ tomorrow... I NEED YOUR HELP! When you are on vacation what do you do, eat, pack or order when you go out??? I need big time advice. Do you cheat on your birthday or do stay the course??

Anything helps!!!

<3

Last edited by ajowens; 07-31-2009 at 05:39 PM.
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #2  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I tend to go off plan for a big occassion like this, but not too far off. I might pick a healthier meal and eat the whole thing instead of putting half of it away as I usually do. Or I pick something that I've been craving that's not so good for me, but go ahead and put half of it in a to go box before I start eating.

I tend to choose--do I want that Reuben sammich or to share a sinful dessert?

In other words, I do the better bad choices to treat myself, but not go so far off of plan that I have trouble getting back on the wagon.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also tend toward an "in between" approach. I don't go off the rails, but I do tend to be looser than I am at home. Just as Eumie said...I'll say "do I want X or Y", or split a dessert but otherwise order like I would.

And on my birthday, I eat cake. I believe firmly that birthday cake is non-negotiable.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

And on my birthday, I eat cake. I believe firmly that birthday cake is non-negotiable.
!!! Love this but I feel so guilty! !!!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #5  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajowens View Post
!!! Love this but I feel so guilty! !!!

But if you make it part of your plan, then there's nothing to feel guilty about. This is about living with better choices, not learning to deprive oneself of every culinary pleasure all the time!
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

Yep - for me, this is for life, and I'm not willing to go the rest of my life without cake, therefore, cake must somehow, sometimes, fit in. On my birthday, the birthdays of my immediate family (I usually bake the cakes), and even sometimes on a non-special day (I have a list of cupcakeries to try before I die...if I am on vacation and near one of them? I am getting a cupcake...actually, I usually find a group of 4, get 4 different flavors, and sample quarters! But again, I have a cupcake thing).
Old 07-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

what are they serving at the BBQ? I'd eat meat, maybe a roll, see what salads and fruit they have, have a beer (or 2) and just make sure I got my workout in that morning, and have cake.

if you are calorie cycling you could work in a few hundred extra calories on that day, and then go back down the next day so that over the course of the week your calorie limit was intact.

I'm sure that food is not the reason for your visit, so concentrate on why you are there, and let the food be secondary.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I'm sure that food is not the reason for your visit, so concentrate on why you are there, and let the food be secondary.
Its not why I am here and for what ever reason I have a hard time remembering that! When the food is piled in front of me... I just lose that sense of reality =(
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I'd have grilled meats, a ton of salad, and one indulgence or two.

Personally I LOVE burgers so I would have ONE burger, a ton of salad, and some cake or whatever

I'd also make time for long walks if you can manage it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #10  

I don't eat hamburger meat or I would. Its not a diet thing its a stupid picky thing.

Its just hard to say no for me unless I say no to everything.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

Quote:
Its just hard to say no for me unless I say no to everything.
If that's really the case for you, then you might need to do that to prevent yourself from going off-the-rails. But this might also be a good practicing opportunity for you. Talk to the host and figure out the menu ahead of time. Make a plan. That plan can have a treat, or something else you wouldn't otherwise eat, but it should be mostly controlled.

For example, going to a typical cookout, I might plan to eat some veggies and dip, 1 grilled chicken breast, 1 cup of fruit salad, 1-2 cups of green salad or other vegetables, and one brownie for dessert.

Then, of course, you stick to the plan. The peach pie is no longer "off plan" because you planned for it ahead of time, so it's less likely to trigger that "Well, I already blew it, may as well eat everything" mentality.

If it's really something you're not able to control, you may have to cut out such "planned indulgences", for now. But I believe that with practice, most people can indulge a bit and not go totally off of the rails...though that isn't true for everyone.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #12  

Height: 6-1.5

I live in Lincoln Nebraska. Why not grill veggies and a big portobello mushroom. Just pack up cut peppers in a tin foil folder and grill tehm. Use a chibatta loaf or other bread. This is a good low calorie grilled sandwich-- I love these. instead of peach pie, eat a peach. get a large serving of fruits and veggies as a salad. Lovely.

I stay on course. I am not a vegetarian per-say, but I eat only vegetarian food-- I have learned to really love the simplicity of veg meals.

Last edited by giselley; 07-31-2009 at 10:20 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
I live in Lincoln Nebraska.
We are in Scottsbluff! And I do love veggies I just struggle with hotdogs and the sweets. His family is HUGE and big on LOTS of food =)
Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Oh, I love Scott's Bluff! (& Lincoln) I'm in South Central and I think anywhere you go in Nebraska food is pretty important!

We just got back from a little Mini vacation in Kansas City. We went a year ago as well when I was well into the mid 250's. Last year when I was actively losing I very, very good on my plan and stayed perfectly on track by lots of planning...this year I was thrilled to have a few extra calories to play around with and indulged a little. I stayed perfectly on plan for breakfast and lunch each day and then had awesome delicious food for the evening meals. (At KC classic restaurants...not Burger King) I also hit the pool and did massive walking too. We got home late last night and I weighed this morning and I stayed the same...

This is not pointing at you specifically, just for the vacationer in general...
The key is to first decide if you are willing to stop your losing streak, (I was not last year when I still had a lot to lose), If you don't care if you stop losing for a few days, or even gain because "you are on vacation, *or* It's your Birthday" then just eat what ever...if you don't care then that is your choice, hopefully you will get back on track once you get back to a routine. If you are serious and wanting to get the pounds off healthfully then PLAN and pack a cooler to take with you. Good foods would be things like nuts, fruits, and veggie emergency food if you are stuck in situation where there are no good choices....and just keep plugging away. So many people disagree with me on this, but *I* think when people blow it so near the beginning of their new healthy diets, they tend to fall off the wagon and stay off for a long time....many times with an extra 20 to lose. There will ALWAYS be birthdays, vacations, holidays, special days...if you blow it for every one, you'll never reach your goal. Use your "new diet" motivation to get you over the humps and temptations.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-01-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #15  

Thanks. I don't think I need to lose this week but I certainly do not want to gain!!! Setting back my little bit of progress could really unmotivate me. I need to remember that so that I don't make myself feel that way.