Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Pregnant, due 5/30/10.

Height: 5'9

Default Baked Ricotta Custard

I made this tonight and it is great! It is from the Supercharged book. It is, as it says, like rice pudding without the rice! It has a nice cheesecake flavor too. Below is the recipe...after the recipe I will add my suggestions.

----
Baked Ricotta Custard

Prep: 10 min
Cook: 45 min
Chill time (optional) 2 hours or overnight

A simple sprinkle of cinnamon makes these creamy custards taste just like rice pudding - without the rice!

3/4 C part-skim ricotta cheese
4 oz. nonfat tub-style cream cheese, at room temp
1/4 C granular sugar substitute
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/4 C fat free half and half
1/4 t vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, for garnish

Heat oven to 250.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat ricotta and cream cheese until creamy. Add sugar substitute and beat until well combined. Add egg, egg white, half-and-half, and vanilla; beat until well-blended.
Transfer mixture to 4 (8 oz) ramekins. Place ramekins in a baking dish. Ad hot water to baking dish to a depth of 1 inch. Bake until custards are set, about 45 min. Remove from water bath and cool on rack. Serve chilled or at room temperature, sprinkled with cinnamon.

---
My suggestions: next time I will cut the sugar substitute. I used Splenda and it was a bit too sweet for my taste. Next time I will add about a sixth of a cup (if I can gauge that)

I also mixed a few dashes of cinnamon in to the batter...then dusted the top with NUTMEG. I love custards and rice pudding...and I go crazy for nutmeg with these things! Hope you like this as much as I did.
kleo is offline   Reply With Quote