Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152.5/149.5/125

Height: 5'5"

Talking Weekend Warriors Needed!

Hi there! I am new to this website and think it is really fantastic.
I don't expect many replies today seeing as its Friday and all, but I wanted to introduce myself and also put out a request for help!

Here's a quick rundown:
I have been stuck between 150-155lbs for the past year or so and I have seriously had enough! I am 5'5" and want to ultimately be somewhere around125lbs. But honestly I don't really care what the numbers say as long as I am toned and fit and right now I am flab and cellulite and extra skin because I have been up and down in my weight my whole life. It has left my body war torn I made lots of bad diet/health decisions in my past.

I have been going to the gym M-Th for about 1-1/2 months now with cardio and a bit of weight training and I honestly don't see much of a difference in my body at all. I try (the word here is "try") to maintain a good diet composed mostly of veggies, fruit, lean protien and whole grains during the week. However I eat like a bit of a monster on the weekends.
Basically this has kept me in a maintainence postion instead of a losing weight position (and I am still pretty much all flab WTF?!)
I need help on the weekends desperately!!!
Oh and I forgot the best part, I am married to a man who can and does eat whatever he wants and is tall and thin

I need help with the weekends and I need some good ideas for portion control. I feel like nothing I do is good enough anymore! I used to be able to lose (and gain) weight pretty quickly but since I hit 30 its become impossible to lose!

HELP!

OH- and I look forward to getting to know and supporting all of you!

x
Harps
Harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I love the Ted Nugent reference! I have been known to mess myself up, by eating poorly on the weekends, and there is nothing I can really tell you to help you with that...maybe just that you will start seeing the results you want if you keep your weekend eating under control. Is there particular that you eat or crave (like pancakes?)...that you can have a healthier answer to?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #3  

Ha! Glad you like the reference and thanks for your reply.
Well, my biggest problem is that Friday and Saturday the husband and I love to get delivery. Saturday afternoons we like to go to an Indian buffet! I know it sounds horrible but I am obsessed with curry and it truly makes me happy to eat it, Indian food is like a drug for me (I know I sound like a lunatic!) I also drink alcohol on the weekend. Not ridiculous amounts but I do drink it.

The thing is, I have been overweight and yo-yoing my whole life. I am try to be strict during the week so I can enjoy myself on the weekend but I must eat more than I think I do all around. I don't want to give up my few vices...

ugh...I think I am way off in my portion sizes or something (thats not including the buffet, lol! I know I eat too much everytime)
Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

OMG, that is my story...u most have stole it word for word. I hit Friday and it's like my diet is on a vacation but all through the week I am as good as gold. I really want this to be the weekend that I don't explode because we are taking the kiddos to a water park on Wednesday. Now here's the kicker...today is my daughter's bday party. Lotsa goodies and it falls on a Friday Well, if u happen to find anything that works for u please let me know!!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure what kind of weight training you are- but you might want to work a bit harder at it? Try heavier weights? Since you are female you won't bulk up like a man, you should tone instead. Maybe get a trainer at least for a few sessions to see how you can improve? Maybe overall you aren't pushing yourself enough?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokan View Post
OMG, that is my story...u most have stole it word for word. I hit Friday and it's like my diet is on a vacation but all through the week I am as good as gold. I really want this to be the weekend that I don't explode because we are taking the kiddos to a water park on Wednesday. Now here's the kicker...today is my daughter's bday party. Lotsa goodies and it falls on a Friday Well, if u happen to find anything that works for u please let me know!!!
Aw! Happy birthday to your daughter, how old? I haven't had the pleaseure of kids yet! The husband and I have baby fever but we have to wait about a year before we can try

I will def let you know if I find any good tricks. I mean its obvious what we should do, its just that I can't seem to close my mouth, lol!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harps View Post
Ha! Glad you like the reference and thanks for your reply.
Well, my biggest problem is that Friday and Saturday the husband and I love to get delivery. Saturday afternoons we like to go to an Indian buffet! I know it sounds horrible but I am obsessed with curry and it truly makes me happy to eat it, Indian food is like a drug for me (I know I sound like a lunatic!)
I totally understand the Indian food thing. It's so good. If you have a Trader Joes around, they have a couple frozen meals that satisfy my curry tooth. One is chicken tikka masala and the other one is paneer masala. I usually buy one of each and heat them up in a pot together. My husband and I split the pot and sometimes buy garlic naan to go with it.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I can attribute my loss of only 1 lb this week to binging on the weekend. I guess I feel out of control after being on plan all week. I am striving for an on plan weekend for success on the scales. We can do it!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I'm not sure what kind of weight training you are- but you might want to work a bit harder at it? Try heavier weights? Since you are female you won't bulk up like a man, you should tone instead. Maybe get a trainer at least for a few sessions to see how you can improve? Maybe overall you aren't pushing yourself enough?
Hi beerab! You may be right as far as not pushing myself hard enough. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety so I tend to not go too hard at the gym because I of fainting/lightheadedness and then panic.

I do abs (set at 40lbs on the machine) and squats with a 5lb weight ball and leg lifts, push ups, I use an arm band for my triceps, just basic stuff for about 25-30mins and then I do the eliptical on level 5 averaging a 6 speed for 45-55minutes

thats my basic exercise routine. Personally I feel its not enough but I don't have time to dedicate myself anymore than I do, its already time consuming for me everyday after work! But perhaps you are right, maybe I need to be working harder while I am there
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
I can attribute my loss of only 1 lb this week to binging on the weekend. I guess I feel out of control after being on plan all week. I am striving for an on plan weekend for success on the scales. We can do it!
thanks for the motivation! Its just so hard when my tall and skinny husband stuffs his face and loves to cook! He gets upset if I don't eat what he makes (I forgot to mention that!)

I hope you can stay on plan!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #11  

Hi Wendyland!
You know I have bought Indian entrees before and they were alright. There is a vegetarian brand "Amy's". They are good, but nothing beats the resturaunt we have literally next door to us...it kills me...

We don't have a Trader Joe's. Is that a supermarket or a brand that makes Indian cuisine, cause I wouldn't mind trying it!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you are able to go and go and go then you aren't using a heavy enough weight. You should be able to only do 12-15 of whatever move at a time.

So for crunches say you do 12-15 and it's not difficult then up the weight, by the time you hit the 12th-15th rep you should almost be struggling to get that last crunch done. Remember to give your muscles at least a day break in between. I'd do like upper body one day, then lower body another day.

Last edited by beerab; 07-31-2009 at 04:15 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #13  
Ready for a Change

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Honey, I totally feel your pain. From the weekend binging to the panic attacks and even with the tall, thin man in my life who is a great cook & DOSE NOT lose weight. I do pretty well Monday – Thursday, but turn into gluttonous, junk food craving fiend Friday – Sunday. To be completely honest, I have already binged TWICE today. I feel sooo horrible about it. I am going to try not to binge again this weekend. Good Luck this weekend Harps!
LostandLonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #14  

Hi everybody! So I did HORRIBLE this weekend, but to be honest I kinda knew I would, I am a bit of an emotional eater and I had a rough week - I had a cold, an ear infection and it was my TOM, so I was like bring on the food!!

I ate fast food twice, the indian buffet and a slice and a half of pizza plus quite a few frozen alcoholic beverages. It was a banner weekend!!

Anyway, its a new week and a fresh start. I am going to try like **** to keep it together this week. The only good news I can muster is that I thought I had gained a bit of weight over the past 2 weeks, but it turns out I stayed pretty much the same. The gym does work for me, it works well,I just don't eat right, not right enough. Simple as that!

Thanks to everyone who replied and let me know how you did. Hopefully better than me!!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 258/237/135

Height: 5' 2"

I completely understand the weekend issues. I have a plan for tomorrow (Saturday). I made a plan to meet a friend at the gym and then we are going out to eat afterwards, but we have already decided we are going to the salad bar and getting it to go. Then we are taking our salads up to the park to eat and visit. When the weather turns a little cooler toward the evening I am helping my husband pour cement for our sidewalk (this has to burn a ton a calories because I know when we did the first section two weeks ago I was exhausted). Now I just need a plan for Sunday.
I have been really good about not buying junk food. Not having it in the house has helped and I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest store which also helps.
The only advice I can give is plan activities that will keep you away from food or at least the junk food. Easier said than done.
4girls is offline   Reply With Quote