Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Support thread for all the other diet delivery plans :)

Are you using a diet meal delivery service that isn't covered by another support thread (like Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem and other big names) but would still like to share and chat? Do you follow a regional diet delivery service that maybe the rest of us haven't heard of?

Please feel free to post here and let us know which plan you are using, how you like it, and if/why you think you'll stick with it a while What are you eating?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/172/135

Height: 5' 7''

Thumbs up I'm in Texas, just started with Diet Gourmet- I LOVE the food

Thank you Suzanne!!
I am a diet drop-out in her late 40's. I worked for many years as an RN and I starved myself to stay very slim. Now that I'm remarried, and not working outside the home, I have packed on 40 pounds. I do NOT cook. Never learned how and don't like to eat what I make.

I tried ALL of the major advertised diets- NS, Jenny Craig, and Medifast. My husband thinks it's nuts to go to extremes for 40 pounds but he doesn't live in my body.

I was halfway still struggling with the few frozen food choices I liked from Jenny Craig when I just got desperate and Googled " diet food delivery". I looked at the national entries, BistroMD and eDiets, etc and couldn't really decide if any of the food could survive well through the Texas heat, plus realizing this was also frozen food.

THIS site ( 3FatChicks) came up with the sticky for regional diet food delivery.
I went to the site listed for the Texas entry, which is for the company, Diet Gourmet.
I called them right then after seeing some of the intriguing entrees on the menu and also with the knowledge that all the food is prepared fresh, is organic, and has NO preservatives. I am very sensitive to preservatives. They taste BAD to me in frozen or heat- sealed meals.

I've just finished my first week and this is the best tasting fresh food with the most appealing presentation I've ever seen on a consistent basis.. even good restaurants have " off" items that people usually steer clear of.
I love everything I have had.. and I am learning to eat more at each meal than I have in years but not to snack every few hours.

The diet is 1100 calories per day and is approved by the ADA for diabetic patients, which assures me that the diet is balanced and does stick to the calorie level. I'm also, well, more regular with bathroom things. There's a naturally high fiber content factored in as well.

If anyone else lives in Texas and has any experience with Diet Gourmet, either good bad or indifferent, I would love to hear from you.

I will post a day's menu, which I ate last week, below. The food is prepared near Houston and rushed in refrigerated trucks to Houston, Austin and Dallas. There are 4-5 " satellite" restaurants which store the 3 or 4 day deliveries ( all packaged for the customer when prepared) if a person lives in a suburb and doesn't want to pay the high delivery charge to their home. I live in a private community which has a zip code not covered by home delivery so my husband picks my food up every Monday and every Friday. The meals are all labeled in the order they are supposed to be eaten. Friday's food delivery is for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Monday's delivery covers the rest of the week. There are also high protein and vegetarian entree choices, and chef specials, if a person wants to make substitutions before the 48 hour ordering deadline.

More in next post.
Mandy

Last edited by LessFluffy; 06-21-2009 at 08:28 PM.
LessFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/172/135

Height: 5' 7''

Thumbs up This is a weeks menu and the nutritional info for Diet Gourmet

I chose the 1100 calorie per day level. There is also a 1700 calorie food plan for those who have been used to eating more for a long time, for men and for diabetics. The company can also customize calorie levels, carb content, add a higher protein level, omit veggies a person doesn't like, etc. They are extremely nice on the phone and offered to customize my meals without any extra charge. I wanted to stick with the written diet plan for a while first.
The 1100 diet costs around $21.00 per day for three beautiful and delicious meals. IF the company delivered out to the area we live in, I would pay an additional weekly delivery charge of around $40-$50. The company delivers to residents in the entire state of Texas ( with a few exceptions, like mine).
I can choose from the week's menu or I can choose a " Gold Star" or " Chef's special" selection for one meal or more for about a dollar more per meal. The food is prepared according to a 5 week menu- plus the freshly prepared chef and Gold Star entries. I am NOT going to be bored with this!!! All of my food is prepared in the portion size for the 1100 calorie diet I am on.
I also do not have to choose 3 meals a day for 7 days if I don't want to. But- OH, BOY, do I want to!!!! This is sooo good.

The food I am eating is not a popular Fad diet. It's not extremely low carb or extremely high protein etc. It is healthy fat and complex carbs. The lean meats are certified organic and fresh, and the vegetables and fruits are all fresh and freshly cooked. The food proportions are approximately: Carbs 56%; Protein 34%; Fat 20% in the 1100 calorie daily portions.

Last week, one day's food was the following:
Breakfast:
Blueberry French Toast Souffle'- Much like bread pudding but lighter- They used cubed organic French bread, low fat cream cheese, blueberries, vanilla and eggs to make the souffle'
Natural Maple Syrup- just the right amount- very light.
Fresh citrus fruit cup- fresh orange, tangerines and grapefruit in its own juice. This was fresh peeled fruit.

Lunch-
Turkey Apple Wrap - Fat free cream cheese with walnuts, apple slices and low-fat turkey on a whole wheat tortilla. All fresh and very filling, and the turkey was not packaged turkey.
Cucumber Dill Salad- The dill and the cucumbers were fresh and crisp
Crystal Ginger Pudding- Absolutely delicious! I can't describe how clean and fresh this tasted.
Fresh melon chunks- cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon as a side item. Fresh, ripe, and tasty.

Dinner-
Grilled Smoked Salmon over confetti rice- fresh salmon marinated in a sauce of low-sodium soy sauce with lemon and garlic, then grilled over mesquite wood. Served with brown and white rice, peas and carrots seasoned with basil.
Marjoram Succotash- fresh corn, lima beans, and I think some soybeans
Cauliflower ( I added a Tblspoon of shredded no fat cheese on the top and melted it because I'm not thrilled with cauliflower or broccoli)

Everything is cooked from scratch by the chefs and the meals are labeled as to which to eat first, second, and third.
The ONLY thing I need to add to the food is 2 cups of no-fat skim milk per day and the rest of my no calorie fluids.
EVERYTHING is refrigerated from preparation to the time I heat up the things which should be served hot.
I get a list of the ingredients, how to heat or store the meal, and a chart of nutritonal info and the ADA exchanges prepared by the dieticians and nutritionist for every meal.

Oh Lordy, I hope I will lose weight on the best food I've ever tried that had the label of " Diet". THANK YOU AGAIN, 3FCs for the link to the site!!!

The company does NOT advertise heavily in the DFW market. They have a fab- sounding all fresh and natural restaurant in Houston called Freshwerks, and I expect that a lot of people down that way know more about the incredible service.

PS- Did I mention that not even a lettuce leaf was wilted, and that everything is packaged extremely securely and attractively? Breakfasts, lunches and dinners are all packaged and labeled differently for easy identification as well. They also have gift certificates and delivery for elderly parents, or as a gift for people with a new baby, or recovering from an illness or surgery, etc.

I am VERY picky and I can't think of one negative thus far-- if I only lose weight slowly and healthily. I could eat this food for the rest of my life.

Thank you!!!
Mandy

Last edited by LessFluffy; 06-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.
LessFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #4  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Mandy, that plan sounds great. I love how you can select a calorie plan. Too bad they don't deliver outside Texas!

I've been doing Pure Foods Fresh Start for about 15 months now and have lost about 75 pounds on it. I love it. You select your menu online each week, and a cooler of fresh food is delivered to your door. (They deliver everywhere in the continental U.S., I believe. Not sure about Alaska.) Three meals, a snack, and a treat. It's based on the glycemic index, so it's whole grains, nuts, etc. Portions are small, but you feel full longer.

I was doing Weight Watchers for years, and I still believe it's an outstanding program (I lost and kept off an additional 30 pounds with them). But I needed something different, and I wanted to get a better handle on portion sizes.

PFFS gives you about 22-26 WW points a day (multiply a point by about 50 calories, which is the rough equivalent), and I add additional yogurt. I'm finding it's harder for me to lose weight on it now than when I started, so I'm having to make some lower-point choices in my menus to see if that works. And, of course, I need to up my exercise!

I plan to re-join Weight Watchers when I'm about 10 pounds away from my goal, because I'd like to be able to become a Lifetime member there and have my monthly weigh-ins for accountability. But I plan to stick with home delivery food for as long as possible. It really works well for me.

Last edited by LaurenH; 07-20-2009 at 12:50 PM.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hello, All--

This is my first post. I am starting on ediets fresh prepared meals this week (Thursday). Anyone else ever try it?

Last edited by LotusMama; 08-10-2009 at 09:03 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #6  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Welcome! I haven't tried eDiets, but I know other people in this forum have. Hopefully they'll chime in. How is it going for you?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #7  

Hi, Lauren--

Thanks for the reply. I actually start on ediets tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I like the idea of fresh prepared foods.

I will post re: my progress. Congratulations on your weight loss!

J
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:254/CW:179.8/GW:130

Height: 5'3"

I'm doing Ideal Protein. From what I can see it's very similar to Medifast. I eat three protein packets three times a day (Breakfast, lunch, and evening snack). With the lunch packet I have 2 cups of vegetables and for dinner I have 5 oz. of protein and 2 cups of vegetables. You can have unlimited lettuce. I have been doing this for a month and have lost about 18 lbs.
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #9  

I have never heard of Ideal Protein. Good luck alwe and congratulations on your success thus far!

J
Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #10  

Hi, I just wanted to report back that I like the food on ediets fresh prepared. So far, so good (I am on my 5th day). There was only one meal that I didn't really like, but otherwise, I am pleased.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 08-10-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Realized that what I previously said was redundant
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #11  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Good for you, jrmohr! Glad you're enjoying eDiets.

I just love not thinking about buying and preparing meals. This approach has been the perfect option for me. I take them with me on weekend trips, too -- just bring a cooler. And when we had a week's vacation at a cottage in Maine, I had them delivered to that address for the week! Really, if you don't like to cook or mess with food, this approach can't be beat.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #12  

Hi, Lauren:

I couldn't agree with you more; they are so convenient and I love having a nice variety. I am glad I did it.

Having them delivered to your vacation spot was such a good idea! I will have to remember that.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,

J