Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #1  

Default Recommend a low glycemic fresh (or fresh frozen) delivery plan?

Hello! I just started Jenny Craig, but when I ordered the first two weeks I was unaware of the number of processed flours they use (vs. whole grain) and I'm also concerned about the 60/20/20 protein/carb/fat ratios. I have been successful on South Beach, which has much more protein, and lowered my triglycerides dramatically.

It seems my body REALLY doesn't like bad carbs. The only problem is all the cooking. I need a delivery program right now!

I've heard good things about BistroMD, Freshology and some others. But none of them mentioned low glycemic or fewer carbs vs. protein and fat. I've heard the Zone delivery programs have very bad customer service.

Can anyone recommend a delivery program that offers a low glycemic index diet or at least uses more good carbs and fewer bad ones!?
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #2  

I would love to know this as well. I am currently doing Chandra's Healthy Eating. Some of the meals are very healthy (brown rice, etc), but they love their desserts and sugar and me don't get along. If you are carb sensitive, stay away from this one.
fchsfootballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I am using Bistro MD because it did talk about being a low glycemic index way of eating. They use whole grains, I haven't had white bread, white rice, etc since I started. I'm going to TRY to post a link to what they have to say about low glycemic eating:

http://www.bistromd.com/Glycemic-Ind...ety-Index.aspx

It's expensive. But, because we're practically empty nesters we were eating out alot anyway so in the long run I don't think I'm spending any more money. My husband is very thin, no health issues and loves junk food. While he is eating a Banquet frozen meal I feel like I'm eating restaurant food. No temptation there for me, I'd never eat a cheap frozen dinner but he loves them!

I have been advised by my Doctor to start eating a low glycemic index diet because I'm pre-diabetic, have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

All I can tell you is that it is a relief to not try to figure out how to do this. I just look at the list for the day and eat acccording to their plan. The only thing I haven't liked is their sirloin (gross texture in my opinion) and they will drop items you don't like and substitute something else. I have enjoyed 75% of the meals they send and tolerated well the rest. That's about par for the course for me, even with my own cooking! I have pretty high standards for taste, texture and presentation. So, on the whole I recommend Bistro MD. It's easy and they have 3 different plans. They will work with allergies and dislikes to a certain point. I like their customer service. I have had no delays (it does take more than a week to get things started) and no errors in my delivery.

It's working for me. I haven't weighed in this week (tomorrow is the day!) but so far I have lost 9 pounds and my clothes are starting to feel a little looser.

Hope you find something that works for you!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #4  

Hmmmmm. I did check out that program and the link you provided, but nowhere does it say that the plan follows a low GI way of eating. It seems more like an article of interest they posted. Have they told you the plan is low GI? Also do you know it's protein/carb/fat ratio?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #5  

How about sodium? That always concerns me. So many of these plans are crazy in sodium content.
fchsfootballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #6  

I was worried about that, too, but JC doesn't seem too high in sodium. I'm sure it has more than the fresh deliveries, though.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #7  

Hello Buttah. I'm Sarah from FL .

It looks like you have done a good research on diet foods before deciding on a particular diet program.

As far as my knowledge about glycemic index goes:

The glycemic index (GI) is used to classify carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels. In simple words, carbohydrates having a low glycemic index is a secret to good health over a long period of time.

If you want a diet program with low GI carbs, I would suggest you to go with Bisto MD diet program. Bisto MD contains carbs with low glycemic index and it does really well on Satiety Index.

My trainer recommended me Bistro MD diet program about 1 year ago. I've been using Bistro MD regularly since then. The results have been excellent.
I've lost good weight and my body is back into shape. Also It tastes really good.

So far I have never had any issues with Bistro MD's delivery.
If you decide to go ahead with it, I would like to hear from you.

Good Luck.

- Sarah
cute sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #8  

I have used Bistro for over 8 months. and can tell you there are very very few simple carbs on the plan.. i.e. white potatoes or white rice.. NO bread at all. All the other food items are high protein, fruit and veggies and whole grains. Even the pasta they use is high protein low carb. It is about as close to a low glycemic plan that you can get that meets healthy requirements as well as doesn't leave you hungry all the time. I was never happy with the breakfast items so I just did the lunch dinner program.. Nothing wrong with the breakfasts but I prefer egg beaters in the am... vs something sweet..
The only other meal plan that touts low glycemic is Pure Food Fresh Start.... I used that plan as well.. The food is really low glycemic but I was starved most of the time... lost alot of weight but never satisfied.until I moved on to Bistro.
I am currently trying DTG.. just needed a break.. NOT Low Glycemic at all... lots of bread, potatoes, etc.. I am not complaining just explaining... Their low carb plan wasn't for me.. just not enough of either protein or veggies to keep me happy, Bistro is much better in that area in my opinion.
Now if anyone comes up with other plans.. please lets us know..
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #9  

Crenita, really? DTG "low carb" did NOT have enough protein or veggies? What did it have, then?

Argh, I wish I could decide. I guess I'll have to try all three (DTG low carb, Bistro, PFFS). But which first? I need a jump start!

Last edited by buttah; 07-29-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #10  

Not for me.. when the only thing you can eat is protein and veggies.. there needs to be enough of both and for me there weren't enough .. especially of the veggies.. I had to make extra to go with each meal otherwise I was way tooo hungry.. They didn't recommend or give you any snack options at all. Nor any dessert options..It just didn't fit me at all.. Now their low fat is much better for me but no weight loss.. I guess I will eventually go back to Bistro.. I just needed a break

.. I did much better on the Bistro ..lots more protein portions and decent sizes of veggies..and no hunger at all
The best thing to do is try ONE week of each and see for yourself... Neither plan makes you stay with them so it works well to take them out for a test run.

Last edited by crenita; 07-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #11  

I agree with Crenita. Although I have never been hungry on DTG (probably b/c I supplement with my own snacks anyway), but I find the veggies to be pretty skimpy for the most part. They do tend to give you two types of veggies with each meal but I would be surprised if the total veggies in a given meal totaled more than 100 calories.
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #12  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Pure Foods Fresh Start follows the low glycemic index.

From their web site: "The secret of PureFoods Fresh Start Plan is a restricted calorie weight loss program that is based on the well-known and highly studied Glycemic Index (GI) principle." http://www.purefoodsfreshstart.com/

I've been on it now for about 16 months and am very happy with it. Food is delivered fresh, not frozen, and you can pick your menu options online. It uses whole grains. It's not a lowfat diet, but that also helps with blood sugar options (and keeps you full longer).
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote